Post-Game Talk: Fourteen. Pens/Jets Plus-Minus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
At this point, Sid's line is simply playing way too well to break them up, and I've been dying for Dupuis to get dumped down. The guy's just a good hockey player, and at some point you have to bow your head and admit that these last three years simply haven't been a fluke.

Putting Iggy with Geno and Neal is simply a no brainer at this point. The man can literally fit nowhere else when you consider how the lineup is currently comprised.

And I don't see Morrow pouting about it. No matter how proud an Alpha Male he is, there's no way he can look at Iggy and say "It should be me on that line"

It's a win for everyone to get bumped down a notch, and finally, FINALLY, get Tanner Glass off this ****ing roster. Vitale and Kennedy together on a fourth line will create a ton of havoc.

Vitale or Kennedy sits before Glass. You know it. There has to be SOME controversy. ;)

Oops, I forgot, Despres will sit before Eaton.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
The great thing about these deals being done so soon is that we have some time to tinker. I think you'll see all the wingers all throughout the lineup and in different configurations. The dust should be settled when games start to matter.

I agree. Getting these major deals done (i still see a minor deal or two) early gives the team time to evaluate every situation.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Bingo.

Still want to see how Morrow does over time, but there's no way Bylsma ***** up what to do with Iginla, because he can't **** it up if he tried. IMO, he's going to do a lot of juggling. You'll see Iggy with Geno and then with Sid in a game. You'll see Duper with Sid sometimes and then with L3. You'll see Morrow between L2 and L3. Really, I could see this continuing throughout the playoffs. Sid with Kunitz. Geno with Neal. Sutter with Cooke. Iggy, Duper, and Morrow see themselves in different situations.

****, someone said Vokoun must feel like he died and went to hockey heaven. Think about Iggy. On the one hand, he could be playing with the hottest duo in hockey. On the other hand, his 'booby prize' is to play with Geno and Neal against second defensive units. Now THAT is dying and going to hockey heaven.

What do you think Morrow was thinking seeing Geno dancing?

It must have been something like "Oh, this is what I've been missing..."

Christ, I'm just imagining Iggy's inner monologue his first shift with galloping Geno, when you consider Craig Conroy may have been the best center he's every played with.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Iginla should play with Sid. The Crosby line is going well right now, but to me keeping a better player off of the line is a bigger disservice than help. Iginla and Sid should be using the last dozen regular season games to get their chemistry going for the playoff drive.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So, you give Geno ALL the good players and leave Sid nothing?

Sid is the leading scorer in the NHL with dupuis and Kunitz. He doesn't need skill or pp time.

Besides, Crosby is signed for 12-years. The penguins top priority should be the happiness of Malkin. Crosby took less money so that malkin could have all the wingers AND sign for more money in a year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Woah woah woah. Slow down with applying the same logic to all players evenly. No room for that.

Uh, nobody is disagreeing with that logic. I've got no problem with it either way (pending seeing what happens with Morrow when/if the adrenaline wears off). BUT, it's pretty clear that Bylsma for starters the idea of leaving the top line in tact.

There's really NO wrong answer here. Put Iggy with Geno and Neal, and you get to watch them against second pairings in the playoffs. Put him with Sid and Kunitz, and they should do more than they do with Dupuis and Geno and Neal should be o'k with Morrow (not as o'k as Iggy but o'k).

Either way, I think the cumulative impact would be about the same, no?

THAT is why I said Iggy is the perfect acquisition in another way: No matter WHAT Bylsma decides to do with him, he can't **** it up.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
At this point, Sid's line is simply playing way too well to break them up, and I've been dying for Dupuis to get dumped down. The guy's just a good hockey player, and at some point you have to bow your head and admit that these last three years simply haven't been a fluke.

Putting Iggy with Geno and Neal is simply a no brainer at this point. The man can literally fit nowhere else when you consider how the lineup is currently comprised.

And I don't see Morrow pouting about it. No matter how proud an Alpha Male he is, there's no way he can look at Iggy and say "It should be me on that line"

It's a win for everyone to get bumped down a notch, and finally, FINALLY, get Tanner Glass off this ****ing roster. Vitale and Kennedy together on a fourth line will create a ton of havoc.

I'm waiting until after the playoffs are over until I say Dupuis should stay with Crosby.

The trapping, shadow coverage, clutch and grab brand of hockey we will see in the playoffs has neutralized Crosby before and his wingers have left him isolated.

I'm hoping things are different this time and Dupes along with Kunitz continue this dominance when it matters the most.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For playoff hockey i love these lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

I see Sid getting more time and space with Iginla on his wing.
And, of course, Morrow will have to keep it going but the elements of each of those top 2 lines are almost identical.

I don't see DB doing this to start out but as experiments happen, i can see these 3 lines forming come playoff time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe speed is overrated sometimes? Stand in front of the cage and whack the snot ootta anyone who dares come by seems to be an integral part of a SC team, eh?
Just gotta find the right, nasty pylon; hopefully we did.

Murray is a nasty SOB. Hal Gill wasn't. It took about a period of meet and greets with Murray to get Evander Kane to play like a girl. THAT guy is going to **** people up over a seven game series. He and Morrow and Iginla, more than anything else, make the Pens tougher to play against. If you really think about it, THAT is the one element that's been missing from this team for the last few years. They didn't just skate circles around the Jets tonight. They beat them into submission in every way. I'm not sure even the 2009 team did it like this one did tonight (and will only do more with Iggy). It's more like the 2008 team that marched through the East.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'll give my plus to Montoya. If not for him, that game was 10-0 easily.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So, you give Geno ALL the good players and leave Sid nothing?

Is this about Sid or winning the cup?

EDIT: By way of disclosure, I want to see Sid with Iggy. I figured it was inevitable. BUT, given how Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis are going and given the matchup advantage to be created by a Neal-Geno-Iggy line, it may have to wait until next year, after Iginla resigns. It's a fluid situation, but at least make an argument on why Iginla with Sid over Geno gives the Pens a better chance to win the cup.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm waiting until after the playoffs are over until I say Dupuis should stay with Crosby.

The trapping, shadow coverage, clutch and grab brand of hockey we will see in the playoffs has neutralized Crosby before and his wingers have left him isolated.

I'm hoping things are different this time and Dupes along with Kunitz continue this dominance when it matters the most.

The trap has been giving them trouble this year, too. If they can get into the offensive zone, they make it work. Best forechecking line in the league.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How did Murray look?

-Sharks fan

Very large and in a consistently foul mood.

What a great game. That's really all that needs to be said. Probably their most complete win all season.

As for now... I'm looking very wrong on Morrow. Who knows if he's running on adrenaline or not but he looked extremely effective all night, often occupying the time and space of multiple defenders. I sort of agree that ultimately he'll slot in on the third line. But man... what a huge luxury that will be if he can keep up this kind of effort.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Understood, but I think Sid's simply on another level now, and so are the other two.

'10 was the Guerin factor. Next to useless in almost every way.
'11 doesn't count
'12 Sid got points because he was Sid, but he never looked like himself.

Time will tell I suppose, but as Kirk said, there's really no way to **** this up.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
I noticed on one dump Kane pulled back and purposely avoided hitting Murray. It was funny as hell..

On the Malkin goal Morrow held back two Jets who were trying to get to Neal. No assist, but he had a big hand in that goal. That said, he is still too slow for that line. Get him on the third line and it will be fun to watch his game.

Morrow is too slow for the 2nd line but not for the 3rd??? That doesn't even make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad