Fortnite: Battle Royale - Free - All Platforms

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Mind boggling

I suck at battle royal, but my kids love it and its really the first game that all 4 of us can sit down and enjoy together, I play the co-op version called Save the World a lot and earn the in-game currency so the kids can but the new BR skins, people enjoy to hate on the game but it is really well made and they update bugs almost instantly. The Dev response is amazing and better than almost any game i have ever played before. I also have two high school aged nephews that have started to become actual gamers from Fortnite, both have built gaming PCs and start branching out into other series. Fortnite is going to be the biggest gaming boom since when WOW first came out.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Lol with Smash, Spiderman, RDR2, BO4, and BFV out people are STILL playing this?
I am basing this purely on my own small anecdotal evidence, but it seems as though most of the people who are still playing this are children/teenagers. Pretty much every one of my adult gamer friends have all moved on from their Fortnite phase (except for two guys who are both VERY child-like). It's still incredibly popular, but it seems to me as though it's the young population, people under 20, and (corporations who can use it for marketing) who are really driving this game forward.

Reactions: mymerlincat

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I am basing this purely on my own small anecdotal evidence, but it seems as though most of the people who are still playing this are children/teenagers. Pretty much every one of my adult gamer friends have all moved on from their Fortnite phase (except for two guys who are both VERY child-like). It's still incredibly popular, but it seems to me as though it's the young population, people under 20, and (corporations who can use it for marketing) who are really driving this game forward.
meh, I have about a group of 8-10 25 year old friends who only play this game and not anything else at the moment.

anecdotal evidence isn't particularly reliable.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
meh, I have about a group of 8-10 25 year old friends who only play this game and not anything else at the moment.

anecdotal evidence isn't particularly reliable.
Yeah I know, that's why I qualified my statement by saying that my opinion was based entirely on my own anecdotal evidence.

My girlfriend works as a child therapist and it seems that every single young kid is absolutely obsessed with this game, whereas most of our adult friends have moved on. Just figured I'd give my own observations. Take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Yeah I know, that's why I qualified my statement by saying that my opinion was based entirely on my own anecdotal evidence.

My girlfriend works as a child therapist and it seems that every single young kid is absolutely obsessed with this game, whereas most of our adult friends have moved on. Just figured I'd give my own observations. Take it for what it's worth.

Personally, I’m bored of it and don’t have the passion I once had, but it’s still a very interesting an intriguing game. The constant updates are awesome.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol with Smash, Spiderman, RDR2, BO4, and BFV out people are STILL playing this?
Lol I stopped not because of those games but because I'm just over it. The fortnitemares was fun but once they took out gliders from any height I pretty much lost interest. I played long enough to finish the last battle pass and haven't played a single game since hitting tier 100.

It was fun when the game first started but the longer I've played the more frustrated I get waiting for the game to load, farming mats, and then dying if you make even the slightest slip up. The challenge was fun for a few months but when you've done it so many times the gratification of getting kills and even wins is not remotely worth the frustration and tedium.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Lol I stopped not because of those games but because I'm just over it. The fortnitemares was fun but once they took out gliders from any height I pretty much lost interest. I played long enough to finish the last battle pass and haven't played a single game since hitting tier 100.

It was fun when the game first started but the longer I've played the more frustrated I get waiting for the game to load, farming mats, and then dying if you make even the slightest slip up. The challenge was fun for a few months but when you've done it so many times the gratification of getting kills and even wins is not remotely worth the frustration and tedium.

I started playing a lot near the beginning of Season 3, although played in Season 2. The game looked like so much fun before all of the building, tbh. Everyone got way too good at the game, back when it was more noobish it actually looked better and building as a way of defending yourself

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I started playing a lot near the beginning of Season 3, although played in Season 2. The game looked like so much fun before all of the building, tbh. Everyone got way too good at the game, back when it was more noobish it actually looked better and building as a way of defending yourself
I mean I've gotten pretty good at building but again. You mispredict your enemy's tower move or anything like that and it's all over.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Damn, Epic straight out vaulted the Infinity Blade after 48 hours and admitted they messed up.

Good for them, though. Clearly a weapon that did not belong in the game at that power.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Damn, Epic straight out vaulted the Infinity Blade after 48 hours and admitted they messed up.

Good for them, though. Clearly a weapon that did not belong in the game at that power.

It's fine for a special game mode but not for all game modes. We were playing the Duo's tourney and would just get wrecked at the end by it. There was nothing you could do.

I like the mats rules in tourney better where you get them faster but smaller caps.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
It's fine for a special game mode but not for all game modes. We were playing the Duo's tourney and would just get wrecked at the end by it. There was nothing you could do.

I like the mats rules in tourney better where you get them faster but smaller caps.

I saw a clip from the Winter Royale pro tournament. Someone got it and just shredded everything. If you’ve ever seen how they are, the whole thing is a ton of building, so it destroyed tons of peoples chances.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Apparently some streamer beat his wife on stream because he wouldn't stop playing this game. Pathetic.
I don't condone violence in any way, but judging from the video they're both shitty people. She threw a box at him, continually provoked him. He belittled her, and apparently assaulted her. They both acted stupidly and awfully in front of the children.

The real victim here is the children.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It's amazing how popular this game still is. I teach in a middle school and I'd venture to guess at least 50% of the kids(both boys and girls) play this game regularly. I've only played a few games, and I understand the appeal of it, but I prefer PUBG.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It's amazing how popular this game still is. I teach in a middle school and I'd venture to guess at least 50% of the kids(both boys and girls) play this game regularly. I've only played a few games, and I understand the appeal of it, but I prefer PUBG.
If PUBG was made free to play when it was huge, I'm not sure Fortnite would have caught on.

Fortnite caught on because it was free and on top of that, it added tons of "personalization" with microtranactions.

Asking dad for $10 is better than asking for $30.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If PUBG was made free to play when it was huge, I'm not sure Fortnite would have caught on.

Fortnite caught on because it was free and on top of that, it added tons of "personalization" with microtranactions.

If it was free and on every system immediately it probably would’ve blown up too(more than it did). Fortnite had the perfect storm of timing, quality, and price point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Fortnite also ran much better and their updates were far more frequent and far more impressive.

I think there is also something to be said for the style of fortnite being skewed to a younger audience. I don't think PUBG has the look to catch on the way Fortnite did. Whether it was free to play or not.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Show me somebody that plays Fortnite consistently and actually spent less than $30.. lol. The the price of entry and trying it is free so there is that. I don't think that was it all of it as PubG has so much hype coming. PugG ran like shit initially and still has issues. Fortnite runs very good at 60 fps and 4K where available.

The building aspect of fortnite was unique vs. other games. The streamers really started to blow up Fortnite. Epic has committed to constant changes and refreshes. New content almost every day, map changes and game modes. Pub G has had the same shit in the store since October - they have no clue how to make money. They have launched additional maps on Pub G and cleaned it up since launch. I like to go back and forth

Spawn is correct regarding the younger generation. Fortnite is silly and fun. dances, emotes, and the crazy skins.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Show me somebody that plays Fortnite consistently and actually spent less than $30.. lol. The the price of entry and trying it is free so there is that. I don't think that was it all of it as PubG has so much hype coming. PugG ran like **** initially and still has issues. Fortnite runs very good at 60 fps and 4K where available.

The building aspect of fortnite was unique vs. other games. The streamers really started to blow up Fortnite. Epic has committed to constant changes and refreshes. New content almost every day, map changes and game modes. Pub G has had the same **** in the store since October - they have no clue how to make money. They have launched additional maps on Pub G and cleaned it up since launch. I like to go back and forth

Spawn is correct regarding the younger generation. Fortnite is silly and fun. dances, emotes, and the crazy skins.
Most people haven't spent under that, but it was an upfront cost of FREE. After they are addicted, it's easier to get parents to spend some money.

Epic also had tons of money, infrastructure, etc while PUBG was basically building from the ground up.

Fortnite was first to market and free, just like PUBG was first to market and not free. The closest imitator that hasn't bombed out is Realm Royale.

If PUBG was free, Epic may not have when all in like they did. They closed games making money to solely focus on Fortnite. They may not have had the guts to do that if PUBG was free.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I just started playing this on Switch a few weeks ago... basically by myself, with no mic, lol..

Granted I only have time to play 1-2x per week but so far this is all I'm playing. Smash, Kart, and a few others are just on the shelf for awhile.

Something about the customization and tiering system that has me hooked like CoD did in its day.

30 years old btw :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad