Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
hey Runner....read what I SAID Dec 2nd....:)

CLICK HERE>>>Nikita Scherbak - Claimed by LA
Habaneros post Dec 2 2018

I predicted Sekac wouldnt be in NHL 2 year after the trade...and he wasnt.,..

My prediction on Sherby for LA....his nickname is goona be IR...(injhury reserve)...and he gets waived again...

SmBGYXy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't disagree with anything here. I'm going to wait to see more of Domi after his hot start before saying we really won the trade for sure but he does play the game the way this team wants, even if were missing more high end skill.

There will be ups and downs from each player. I have no doubt Galchenyuk will score more 30 goal seasons. But I'm content with Domi's game either at center or at wing moving forward. Just like I was content with Drouin last year when he was struggling. Were talking about talented kids here.

The key ingredient here is who these players play with. Drouin and Patch was a disaster cause Patch is a floater. Domi is not a floater. I love his overall game.

My problem with Galchenyuk is he is hard to coach. He has offense on his mind and is not motivated to play a 200' game. This is why we moved on from him.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ok. Maybe Scherbak. But Galchenyuk is our fault for sure. If we didn’t get in his way he’d be a perennial Art/Ross/Hart candidate and superstar #1C. :sarcasm:
Oh be quiet you. Galchenyuk with two assists so far today is at a PPG pace over the past eight games.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What do you guys think -- will Scherbak end up with the Habs at noon tomorrow? (Don't ask, slow news day).

Last time Bouchard mentioned Scherbak, it was none too flattering ...

Reactions: DAChampion

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
He had a good summer but that doesn't erase his incompetence for 70% of his tenure. His half-measures have bit us in the ass. I defended him until the Radulov fiasco, I won't do a total turnover after a good stretch of 41 games from this team. He still has some of the issues I criticized him for back in the day, our defense is a mess and he sort of patched one hole to create another one elsewhere. Thankfully he fired Sly to help build the future in terms of development.

Oh yeah yeah i was just joking i gotta be a bit more descriptive when i do next time lol

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think Galchenyuk for Domi was a needed change of scenery trade for both team.

I may be in the minority, but I still would have liked De La Rose as a longterm, cheap bottom 6 forward. But at the end of the day, 4th liners are replaceable.

Yes they are but i firmly believe that the best way to achieve a strong team spirit is to have a bunch of guys drafted by you and who grew up in your organization. They spend 2 training camps playing with your vets before finishing their junior career. Then they go play in the AHL with your other kids and they spend more time with your vets in more training camps and when they are recalled because of injuries. By the time they graduate they already know the people in place and the system.

It's not realistic to expect a team to be made of 20 guys drafted by you but i think you should aim to have at least 10 guys you drafted or acquired at a young age (à la Suzuki) and who have been playing for your team for a couple of years (at least between 3 to 5 years either in the AHL or NHL). I will never understand the fixation this team has since the mid 90ies with icing the scrubs they get from other teams instead of their own young players.

It's okay when you aim to win a cup now like the Caps they got Eller, DSP, Kempny and Connolly cause they had to win now (but they also gave kids like Vrana, Burakovsky, Stephenson and Djoos a chance). When you look at the Caps cup winning team of last year (players who played 10 games in playoffs) 12 players out of 20 players were drafted by the caps. That's 60% of the team. That's how imo you build team spirit.

Currently we have a great total of 7 players drafted by us out of 26 players (minimum of 10 games) so only 27% of the team. It's been this way for a long while now outside of a few years when Subban, Patch, Gallagher, AG, Emelin, etc came in. When we went to the semis in 2014 we had 11 players out of 22 players drafted by us so 50% of the team (or signed ufa after their junior career - minimum 5 games). Personally i have a very hard time as a fan to identify myself to a team made of players who came from other teams. I hated Weber before we got him it will take me more time before i can digest this trade. At least around 2 or 3 more years before he really is a Canadiens for me.

Yeah DLR is easily replaceable. But so is Deslaurier, Don Juan D'Agostino (as soon as earth will call him back which will happen one day), Chaput, .... At least DLR was our kid. We watched him grow up. He was not perfect by he was a Canadiens. We could have at least given him a chance until it was clearly not working and we had clearly a better option.

Icing guys like Don Jan D'Agostino is imo one of the thing this team has been doing wrong for too many years. Yeah you can always hit an home run like Byron but it happens 1 time our of 1000. It's more often than not a complete waste of time. But in Montreal we like a good story. The underdog coming from another team. The guy playing with "l'énergie du désespoir" cause he knows the Montreal Canadiens is his last chance to make millions. The guy who will give everything for 40 games while nobody expect him to give anything. We like those stories a lot. The media loves them. The fans cherish them. And the management knows those stories are worth millions in tickets sold. Sadly because we over hype our prospects they can never be the underdog no matter how unskilled they might be.

Personally i gave up trying to convince people the musical chair with scrubs strategy is a bad one. I try to let them enjoy their Don Juan D'Agostino while it last and then make sure to tell them "i told you so" when earth call them back. I'll be wrong 1 time out of 1000. Great job Byron but i don't have enough place in this reply to list every time the strategy failed before.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxDummy

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
What player is McCarron currently stealing ice time from down in the minors? Pezzetta? There's a hole on the 4th line RW spot and I wouldn't mind if they eventually give Mac one final shot there.
He takes up a contract spot. However, Its not that he is taking someones spot rather we have seen what he brings - practically nothing. Its time to cut him loose.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Yeah DLR is easily replaceable. But so is Deslaurier, Don Juan D'Agostino (as soon as earth will call him back which will happen one day), Chaput, .... At least DLR was our kid. We watched him grow up. He was not perfect by he was a Canadiens. We could have at least given him a chance until it was clearly not working and we had clearly a better option.

Icing guys like Don Jan D'Agostino is imo one of the thing this team has been doing wrong for too many years. Yeah you can always hit an home run like Byron but it happens 1 time our of 1000. It's more often than not a complete waste of time. But in Montreal we like a good story. The underdog coming from another team. The guy playing with "l'énergie du désespoir" cause he knows the Montreal Canadiens is his last chance to make millions. The guy who will give everything for 40 games while nobody expect him to give anything. We like those stories a lot. The media loves them. The fans cherish them. And the management knows those stories are worth millions in tickets sold. Sadly because we over hype our prospects they can never be the underdog no matter how unskilled they might be.

Personally i gave up trying to convince people the musical chair with scrubs strategy is a bad one. I try to let them enjoy their Don Juan D'Agostino while it last and then make sure to tell them "i told you so" when earth call them back. I'll be wrong 1 time out of 1000. Great job Byron but i don't have enough place in this reply to list every time the strategy failed before.

Why Don Juan as a moniker for Agostino?

JqEKcCX.jpg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What do you guys think -- will Scherbak end up with the Habs at noon tomorrow? (Don't ask, slow news day).

Last time Bouchard mentioned Scherbak, it was none too flattering ...

This wasn't the last time Bouchard mentioned him. That was after his first game after siting out for a month.

After Scherbak was recalled, Bouchard said it was impossible to evaluate him - he got here rusty, then got sick, then got injured...

I would love for Bouchard to get a full season - or even a half season with Scherbak. Scherbak's a very raw, unpolished gem, imo.

Last edited:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Looks like long time Hab Tomas Vanek played his 1000th NHL game tonight. While he wasn't here long, his arrival contributed to the team getting hot in 2014 which led to the conference finals run.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm glad to see Galchenyuk playing better, and I hope that he can eventually recover from what he faced in Montreal. But for me to believe it, he'd have to play well for a season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm glad to see Galchenyuk playing better, and I hope that he can eventually recover from what he faced in Montreal. But for me to believe it, he'd have to play well for a season.

Well, I had really wished we tried to get Domi without giving up Galchenyuk. The only way I think we possibly could have done it is giving up Poehling. Poehling showing he could have offensive upside makes me feel better about giving up Galchenyuk instead of Poehling.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Ontario Reign is the worst team in the AHL right now. Scherbak would be a boost. But I don't know enough about the rest of their roster to know if he'd have good players to play with.

Reactions: Fixxer

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Personally, as long as we had the contract space, and there were no egregious behind the scene issues, I would have claimed Sherby back. Perhaps they didn’t want his poor discipline around the team. Next page!

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Omg thank god we didn't claim him, he's definitely not worth it. Big waste of time. We're finally moving on from these types of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad