Player Discussion Former Habs & Picks watch: Gone but not forgotten (No Current NHLers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
So trading Subban the day before his NMC kicked in was a sound calculated risk? Or signing Price or any other players so early for their contract extensions? Or all the cap space we didn't use last year?

Hes proving you wrong now doesnt he.

Bergevin is like wine, it gets better with time.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
There's a high probability that we end in 9th which is what the Leafs did pre-Shanahan era. I don't find much merit or things to be proud in being a middle of the pack team here.

The 6 teams ahead of us in the playoff race are all within 3 points of us. Some (like the Isles) have unsustainable underlying numbers. I'd put our playoff odds at about 75 percent

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hes proving you wrong now doesnt he.

Bergevin is like wine, it gets better with time.
He had a good summer but that doesn't erase his incompetence for 70% of his tenure. His half-measures have bit us in the ass. I defended him until the Radulov fiasco, I won't do a total turnover after a good stretch of 41 games from this team. He still has some of the issues I criticized him for back in the day, our defense is a mess and he sort of patched one hole to create another one elsewhere. Thankfully he fired Sly to help build the future in terms of development.

Reactions: Runner77

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The 6 teams ahead of us in the playoff race are all within 3 points of us. Some (like the Isles) have unsustainable underlying numbers. I'd put our playoff odds at about 75 percent
Okay, and what if those teams rightfully trade assets for immediate help, do you still think our odds are at 75%?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
What's the difference between fringe NHLer and KHL material, isn't it the same..?
No - one can contribute and play in the NHL but is always fighting to hold a spot and the other cant play at the NHL level. Scherbak is the latter. Junk player can't compete at NHL level

Reactions: Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So trading Subban the day before his NMC kicked in was a sound calculated risk? Or signing Price or any other players so early for their contract extensions? Or all the cap space we didn't use last year?

Bergevin and the word "calculated" are mutually exclusive concepts.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Okay, and what if those teams rightfully trade assets for immediate help, do you still think our odds are at 75%?

Yep.

Isles still have too many holes, Buffalo will still 3rd last in the league in bottom 6 5-on-5 goal differential, Pits and Washington lack the assets to really make a huge splash, Boston hasn't really indicated that they want to be buyers, and Columbus (well, they might go all in so can't say too much about them). We don't need each of them to falter, just 1.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yep, typical overreaction. It happens all the time. Next up - Charles Hudon
BS. Most are fine with it, Hudon has been in this organization for more than 6 years. He's been outplayed by players better than him, with last year, people can't really argue he wasn't given a fair shot. I still think he can become a regular but he has to work on his skating a bit.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yep.

Isles still have too many holes, Buffalo will still 3rd last in the league in bottom 6 5-on-5 goal differential, Pits and Washington lack the assets to really make a huge splash, Boston hasn't really indicated that they want to be buyers, and Columbus (well, they might go all in so can't say too much about them). We don't need each of them to falter, just 1.
Would you say that the holes those teams have are easier to patch than the ones we have?

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
BS. Most are fine with it, Hudon has been in this organization for more than 6 years. He's been outplayed by players better than him, with last year, people can't really argue he wasn't given a fair shot. I still think he can become a regular but he has to work on his skating a bit.
Yeah right go look at the meltdown when he was claimed by la. It was total overreaction usual MTL fan hyperventilating.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It's not just the point separation. It gets tougher on account of how many teams you need to leapfrog over, to notch a playoff spot.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Yeah right go look at the meltdown when he was claimed by la. It was total overreaction usual MTL fan hyperventilating.
You didn't read my post properly. You're predicting that people are going to overreact when there's already a thread elsewhere where people are wishing him luck and are sorry it just didn't workout for him.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Would you say that the holes those teams have are easier to patch than the ones we have?

Islanders is harder imho. Buffalo is easier to fix long term but impossible to patch, we are the better team for sure. Pits has holes the size of the Titanic but get ahead by having the superstars to cover them. Washington and Columbus would be fine without fixing their holes. Boston is just unhealthy, all depends on their health imho (though being a one line team is dangerous territory).

Imho we will certainly finish ahead of Islanders and buffalo. I'm not even certain Islanders are ahead of the hurricanes at the end of the season

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't mind Scherbust playing in Laval to add scoring.

I would love for him to play in Laval. He's raw and immature physically and hockey-mentally. But he remains a raw talent imo that I think will wake up one day. He could use a really good coach like Bouchard.

Reactions: montreal

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Islanders is harder imho. Buffalo is easier to fix long term but impossible to patch, we are the better team for sure. Pits has holes the size of the Titanic but get ahead by having the superstars to cover them. Washington and Columbus would be fine without fixing their holes. Boston is just unhealthy, all depends on their health imho (though being a one line team is dangerous territory).

Imho we will certainly finish ahead of Islanders and buffalo. I'm not even certain Islanders are ahead of the hurricanes at the end of the season
I mean, I won't pretend I have a crystal ball here, but my point is it's fair to say it's a toss-up, you can never truly know until the final game of the season (see Islanders in 2007 when they took the Leafs out of the playoffs by beating the NJD in a shootout).

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I was told no more than a month ago that if the Habs had been a meritocracy, Scherbak would have had a spot out of camp after I said that he told a reporter that he thought he had a guaranteed spot on the team this season. Didn't care to reply at the time because I thought it was a waste of time, but with Scherbak having 1 point in 8 games and being waived again, I guess other teams around the league aren't meritocracies. So, over which top 9 player should Scherbak be playing now?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They ruined his development. Only reason he can’t cut is because NHL teams mishandled him.

It has nothing to with the fact that he doesn’t possess the skills to be a top 6 NHL player and doesn’t possess the desire or intensity to be a bottom 6 player. Being garabage at hockey has nothing to do with him failing.

Maybe he’s just lazy as multiple people have alluded to. Maybe, just maybe it’s HIS fault.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Maybe he’s just lazy as multiple people have alluded to. Maybe, just maybe it’s HIS fault.
Ok. Maybe Scherbak. But Galchenyuk is our fault for sure. If we didn’t get in his way he’d be a perennial Art/Ross/Hart candidate and superstar #1C. :sarcasm:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I was told no more than a month ago that if the Habs had been a meritocracy, Scherbak would have had a spot out of camp after I said that he told a reporter that he thought he had a guaranteed spot on the team this season. Didn't care to reply at the time because I thought it was a waste of time, but with Scherbak having 1 point in 8 games and being waived again, I guess other teams around the league aren't meritocracies. So, over which top 9 player should Scherbak be playing now?

From last year? Hudon

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
You didn't read my post properly. You're predicting that people are going to overreact when there's already a thread elsewhere where people are wishing him luck and are sorry it just didn't workout for him.

They are going to overreact. History shows!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad