Former Ducks, 2019-20

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Great interview with Teemu. And for those who blamed him for Kariya leaving the Ducks, he makes it quite clear how that situation evolved.

I will still never forget the day reading the ESPN bottom line and seeing Kariya and Selanne sign in Colorado for those 1-year deals.

I’ll never understand the backstory of the deal that fell apart. From what I piece together is: Murray ‘promised’ Kariya a contract, Kariya balked at the low-ball offer, and jumped ship when they couldn’t negotiate.

I understand it was a different era in the 90s but I’m surprised that Disney (when they did own them) never made the Ducks competitive with a large budget. It was basically Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne with little support cast around them.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I will still never forget the day reading the ESPN bottom line and seeing Kariya and Selanne sign in Colorado for those 1-year deals.

I’ll never understand the backstory of the deal that fell apart. From what I piece together is: Murray ‘promised’ Kariya a contract, Kariya balked at the low-ball offer, and jumped ship when they couldn’t negotiate.

I understand it was a different era in the 90s but I’m surprised that Disney (when they did own them) never made the Ducks competitive with a large budget. It was basically Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne with little support cast around them.
if i remember correctly, the ducks would've had to offer 10 mil to PK as his qualifying offer

their plan was to offer him less so that they could have enough to bring teemu back. he signed with the avs for 1 mil (and took the biggest paycut in NHL history) before the ducks even made their offer. there was no way PK was going to pass up a chance to play with those guys and neither was teemu once he saw PK was going there. let's not forget the relationship between PK and the ducks wasn't always the best. i feel like there was still some bitterness on PK's part as a result of his holdout in '97 in which he missed 30 games

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Stefan Noesen, who has 12 goals in 19 games on an AHL deal for the Penguins' affiliate, has signed a 1 year, 2 way NHL contract for the remainder of this season. Congrats to him, he's had to fight through a lot to get to where he is today.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Cogs has 4 points in 27 games, all assists. 27 games without a goal.

If Dallas buys him out after the season, would you want the Ducks to sign him to a 1 year salary min deal ?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lmao, no.
but but but he's elite defensively !

I was just curious to see if any still dislike the Cogliano trade. That trade worked out even as a cap dump, since it seems the Eakins doesn't like to play Shore so much then Murray can just trade Shore or refuse to offer him a qualifying offer since he's a RFA or trade him. I'd like to see them get a draft out of Shore

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the cogliano trade has been one of murray's few bright spots the last 3-4 years

shore should be in the lineup more often

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
the cogliano trade has been one of murray's few bright spots the last 3-4 years

shore should be in the lineup more often

Yes getting rid of Cogliano when he did was a great move because he is no longer a 30 something point winger with a good defensive game. After being suspended resulting in his ironman streak ending things have just got worse for him.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Stefan Noesen, who has 12 goals in 19 games on an AHL deal for the Penguins' affiliate, has signed a 1 year, 2 way NHL contract for the remainder of this season. Congrats to him, he's had to fight through a lot to get to where he is today.
He just scored in his first game as a Penguin

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Great interview with Teemu. And for those who blamed him for Kariya leaving the Ducks, he makes it quite clear how that situation evolved.

I remember when this happened. At first, the way it was covered was that Murray didn't qualify Kariya and Kariya got mad and was now a group V UFA, so he was free to go anywhere he wanted and he chose Colorado. A little later more came out about what happened and there was an interview with Murray and he said, he was pretty stunned about what happened because he went to Kariya after the Mighty Ducks lost to the Devils in the SCF and he told Kariya that he wanted to make the team better and add scoring, and one of the things he wanted to do was to try to sign Selanne. But, in order to afford both Kariya and Selanne, he needed Kariya to sign for less than his $10M qualifying amount (I thought Murray was thinking around $7M), and according to Murray, Kariya said something like, "I understand. I understand." So, Murray thought he and Kariya were on the same page and that is why he didn't qualify Kariya, and when Kariya signed with Colorado for the league minimum, Murray was stunned. There was no verbal (and definitely no written) agreement, but it seems like Murray thought they had an understanding and that Kariya was okay with his plan. Obviously, he wasn't.

Another tidbit: Kariya called Selanne with his plan to go to Colorado and told Selanne if it didn't work out with Colorado, their plan B would be Detroit. Kariya definitely had no intentions of re-signing with Anaheim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Another tidbit: Kariya called Selanne with his plan to go to Colorado and told Selanne if it didn't work out with Colorado, their plan B would be Detroit. Kariya definitely had no intentions of re-signing with Anaheim.

Source? The whole Kariya 2003 summer saga could be a movie/doc all on it's own.

I'm surprised they didn't go to Detroit first. They had the Euro talent and fire-power that year.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

I'm surprised they didn't go to Detroit first. They had the Euro talent and fire-power that year.

I don't have a source, but I remember reading an article written by Adrian Dater, one of the Avs' beat writers, that included this. IIRC, Dater was interviewing Selanne, and this was from that interview.

Edit: Also from that article, Baizley was in negotiations with Pierre LaCroix because LaCroix had a budget in mind for the package deal and he knew what Kariya was going to take, so they were negotiating how much the Avs would offer Selanne. I think there was tie between Baizley and the Avs because he represented a couple of their players (maybe Sakic and Forsberg?). Sakic and Kariya were also friends, and I guess the lure of playing with Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Blake, Roy, et al was tempting.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

I wonder how different the perceptions of both players would be if they went to Detroit and hung around there. That’s not an alternate reality I want to think about though

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
also worth noting is kariya saying "same place, different result" at the fan celebration after the '03 cup run

made it even worse for a lot of us

Reactions: Paul4587

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
also worth noting is kariya saying "same place, different result" at the fan celebration after the '03 cup run

made it even worse for a lot of us
Yeah, a lot of people forget his little speech where he said that and led fans to think he was coming back.

Paul was always about the money, which is his right. But I've never shed a tear that he didn't win a cup.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
[...] A little later more came out about what happened and there was an interview with Murray and he said, he was pretty stunned about what happened because he went to Kariya after the Mighty Ducks lost to the Devils in the SCF and he told Kariya that he wanted to make the team better and add scoring, and one of the things he wanted to do was to try to sign Selanne. But, in order to afford both Kariya and Selanne, he needed Kariya to sign for less than his $10M qualifying amount (I thought Murray was thinking around $7M), and according to Murray, Kariya said something like, "I understand. I understand." [...]

So the question boils down to: when exactly did Murray ask Kariya after the SCF? As Paul revealed in an interview some two years ago, he does not have any memories from Stevens' check in Game 6 up all the way to the end of June IIRC. He said he couldn't recall any single moment from Game 7, or anything else from the two weeks after the series due to his severe concussion.

Kariya's alleged answer of "I understand, I understand" definitely hints at him not being at his fullest cognitive abilities at the time of the offer. And they way Teemu presented it in this interview posted above serves as an addition to that, as he seemed genuinely surprised and flabbergasted by Paul's call to go somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad