Former Ducks, 2019-20

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Perry should probably retire. I feel like he’s at the point where he can only damage his legacy and not add to it positively. And I say that as the biggest Perry fan there is
Plus if he retires he'll have more time for EA's NHL 20, back when he was in his prime Perry did some interviews about playing the video games.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Perry should probably retire. I feel like he’s at the point where he can only damage his legacy and not add to it positively. And I say that as the biggest Perry fan there is

It will be sad to see him retire but I do think its for the best because he has a Cup already and is a shell of his former self as a hockey player.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

he’s still an NHL level player but yeah it’s sad seeing him pace for 30-35 points when he was once such a dominant force. He’s clearly chasing another cup though by signing in Dallas so maybe he sticks around on contenders as a depth guy until he can’t get contracts anymore.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
After this season I think he'll be luck to be offered a $1M no bonus contract. Maybe just some PTO offers.
Next season teams will see his game as predictable because he can't shoot anymore and just gets assists so opposing teams will know perry won't shoot.

From 6 goals on a randycapped team to 3 on Dallas.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He's old and slow. And if his best ever off season effort couldn't make a difference, he's nearing Danny Heatley territory.
his decline has been very similar to heatley's

both were never fast and relied on their hands. as they got older and the game got faster they simply stopped being able to keep up

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
his decline has been very similar to heatley's

both were never fast and relied on their hands. as they got older and the game got faster they simply stopped being able to keep up
Cheechoo was slow too. Cheecho with Thornton was like Perry with Getzlaf and Heatley with Spezza.

Which line was the best of those at their peak ?
Heatley/Spezza/Alfredsson
Cheechoo/Thornton/Marleau
Ryan/Getzlaf/Perry

Next season it looks like Getzlaf might be the only one left in the NHL out of those 3 former super lines.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Cheechoo was slow too. Cheecho with Thornton was like Perry with Getzlaf and Heatley with Spezza.

Which line was the best of those at their peak ?
Heatley/Spezza/Alfredsson
Cheechoo/Thornton/Marleau
Ryan/Getzlaf/Perry

Next season it looks like Getzlaf might be the only one left in the NHL out of those 3 former super lines.

At their peaks Thornton won a hart and put up 125 points while Cheechoo won the rocket so pretty easily the Sharks line.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
The most recent Spittin Chiclets podcast had Brian Burke as one of their guests. He spilled some interesting info in the short time they interviewed him:

- Part of the reason he had Getzlaf and Perry start in the AHL is because he didn't want them to be in a dressing room with Sergei Fedorov as one of their role models. Fedorov apparently spent a lot of time in LA and wasn't focused on winning with that group. Burke even said he told the twins that is was unfair to send them down, but he couldn't have them learning under that leadership group.
- In Burke's first offseason as GM of Anaheim (2005-06), he was close to signing Keith Tkachuk, but the Samuelis nixed the deal because it would have put them about $1 million over budget.
- Edmonton dropped a Pronger proposal to the Ducks and 3 other teams at the draft. Burke saw the proposal and went right to the Edmonton table and said he'd do it (1st + Lupul + Smid), but they couldn't do it immediately because of tagging issues.

The vibe I got from the interview was that the 06-07 team was Burke's proudest achievement.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The most recent Spittin Chiclets podcast had Brian Burke as one of their guests. He spilled some interesting info in the short time they interviewed him:

- Part of the reason he had Getzlaf and Perry start in the AHL is because he didn't want them to be in a dressing room with Sergei Fedorov as one of their role models. Fedorov apparently spent a lot of time in LA and wasn't focused on winning with that group. Burke even said he told the twins that is was unfair to send them down, but he couldn't have them learning under that leadership group.
- In Burke's first offseason as GM of Anaheim (2005-06), he was close to signing Keith Tkachuk, but the Samuelis nixed the deal because it would have put them about $1 million over budget.
- Edmonton dropped a Pronger proposal to the Ducks and 3 other teams at the draft. Burke saw the proposal and went right to the Edmonton table and said he'd do it (1st + Lupul + Smid), but they couldn't do it immediately because of tagging issues.

The vibe I got from the interview was that the 06-07 team was Burke's proudest achievement.
That`s interesting regarding the Twins

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That`s interesting regarding the Twins

It is but unfortunately it's not true lol. Maybe Sykora was the bigger issue(or both were at the time) and he conflated that but he sent them down AFTER he traded Fedorov. They were recalled, though, the day Sykora was traded.

I also wondering if he misremembered the Tkachuk thing, it really lines up much better with the 07 season. He got a first for that very purpose, Tkachuk was actually traded that year, they were actual contenders, etc.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It is but unfortunately it's not true lol. Maybe Sykora was the bigger issue(or both were at the time) and he conflated that but he sent them down AFTER he traded Fedorov. They were recalled, though, the day Sykora was traded.

I also wondering if he misremembered the Tkachuk thing, it really lines up much better with the 07 season. He got a first for that very purpose, Tkachuk was actually traded that year, they were actual contenders, etc.
Interesting. I'd wager a guess that both of them were part of the problem. I see that Fedorov only played 5 games for us that season.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Sergei Fedorov trade was good for the Ducks because it helped with cap space as well as getting us Francois Beauchemin who was a important part of our Cup team. If its true Sergei Fedorov was viewed as a negative in leadership group then that makes the trade even better.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Interesting. I'd wager a guess that both of them were part of the problem. I see that Fedorov only played 5 games for us that season.

Probably Ozolinsh too, I remember people being very confused by all three trades(the Fedorov one the least) but this would make sense as to why the returns weren't/didn't seem great.

I guess you could throw Carney in that mix as well, although that could've just been about asset management. Getting a 2nd for him and replacing him with an equally capable OD was genius by Burke.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
burke clearly wanted nothing to do with fedorov. not sure if they expected beauchemin to become the player he did but damn was that a great trade for the ducks

i'd 100% believe sykora or ozolinsh being the reason BB didn't call the twins up earlier. both were probably mentally checked out after the crappy 03-04 season and the weak first half in 05-06. plus didn't ozolinsh eventually end up in rehab for alcoholism?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ozo at the time had off-ice issues (that he adressed later on before having a re-birth in KHL. Became a hell of a captain)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00