Former Ducks, 2019-20

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The bottom line is if the ducks didn’t foolishly trade Teemu away it probably would have turned out differently. Hell, maybe they hoist it in 03 and they both re-sign.

Would have never got Pronger In a million years if they did lock PK up though. Although Scotty was probably coming no matter what and that would have still been a hell of a team from 05-08.

Thank God they got Teemu back

The alternate realities are fun to think about

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah i think it's safe to say there's no cup in 07 if they bring PK back

they don't win the cup without pronger and there would have been no pronger if PK had stayed. niedermayer would've still come but without pronger the ducks would've just made a couple WCSF/WCF runs before guys were dealt

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Good question. How soon was Babcock actually gone relative to the July 1 signings?

Babcock left a couple of years later---after the 2005 lockout and the change in ownership and GMs. Murray left for Ottawa in 2004, Coates was interim for 2005 and then Burke was hired by the Samuelis. Burke offered Babcock a one-year deal, which Babcock turned down and signed with Detroit. Burke then hired Carlyle. My speculation (total speculation), is that Burke wanted to hire Carlyle, so he lowballed Babcock and didn't give him much incentive to stay.

Edit: to add Coates. I totally forgot about him and the totally forgettable 2003-04 season.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Babcock left a couple of years later---after the 2005 lockout and the change in ownership and GMs. Murray left for Ottawa in 2004, Coates was interim for 2005 and then Burke was hired by the Samuelis. Burke offered Babcock a one-year deal, which Babcock turned down and signed with Detroit. Burke then hired Carlyle. My speculation (total speculation), is that Burke wanted to hire Carlyle, so he lowballed Babcock and didn't give him much incentive to stay.

Edit: to add Coates. I totally forgot about him and the totally forgettable 2003-04 season.
murray was still the GM in 03-04. coates was GM during the dead season of 04-05 before burke was hired in 2005

and yeah, burke definitely wanted to hire his own guy which is why babcock was only offered a measly one year deal which he turned down immediately

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
OK, well I just listened to the 2nd one. Here's my take...

They just started and it definitely could use some polishing as a show. They talk over each other too much. Technical glitches make it hard to understand what is said at times as well. Bieksa appears to act as the host. He did make an interesting comment regarding time off after retirement and how Kesler will have to be facing that soon. I'm obviously curious whether that was just a shoot from the hip comment based on his opinion, or if Kes has talked with him and indicated that he is done. I guess time will tell.

Some of the fighting stories are interesting and funny. Kes mentioned his hate for CryJo and Bieksa said he would try to get him on the podcast. Who knows if that will ever happen. Probably worth bookmarking and checking out again.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Kesler and Bieksa put out the 3rd episode of their podcast this past week. Their guest was Ben Chiarot (really good friends with Bieksa), and they asked him about butt-ending Corey Perry, which led to a funny conversation. Kesler also mentioned a few points related to the Ducks:

-He was not a fan of a guy like Cogliano getting traded away. He didn't say it was a terrible trade or anything, just said it sucks to lose a guy like Cogs in the room.
-The Ducks have the worst dressing room in the league (they are currently building another, better locker room)
-He didn't like the Ducks PP because they would switch guys around so often. He said teams like Boston and the old Vancouver team had great powerplays because the same guys had been practicing it together for so long that everyone would know where everyone would be and what their tendencies were.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Kesler and Bieksa put out the 3rd episode of their podcast this past week. Their guest was Ben Chiarot (really good friends with Bieksa), and they asked him about butt-ending Corey Perry, which led to a funny conversation. Kesler also mentioned a few points related to the Ducks:

-He was not a fan of a guy like Cogliano getting traded away. He didn't say it was a terrible trade or anything, just said it sucks to lose a guy like Cogs in the dressing room.
-The Ducks have the worst dressing room in the league (they are currently building another, better locker room)
-He didn't like the Ducks PP because they would switch guys around so often. He said teams like Boston and the old Vancouver team had great powerplays because the same guys had been practicing it together for so long that everyone would know where everyone would be and what their tendencies were.

Read this and was like "Whoa, really, is the culture THAT bad?", until I kept reading and figured out the context... :laugh:

Interesting points though. Will have to keep an eye on this podcast...

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That's interesting what Kes said about the PP. It was really obvious today. (as well as other games.) Ducks' passes were always just missing a guy who was open or catching them not expecting the pass. OTOH, when you watch other PPs its amazing how guys are throwing no look passes everywhere and they often times land on a teammates stick in perfect shooting position almost routinely.

Reactions: duxfan1101

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
That's interesting what Kes said about the PP. It was really obvious today. (as well as other games.) Ducks' passes were always just missing a guy who was open or catching them not expecting the pass. OTOH, when you watch other PPs its amazing how guys are throwing no look passes everywhere and they often times land on a teammates stick in perfect shooting position almost routinely.
One specific thing he said is that in Vancouver, they would get sustained zone time because Kesler would hunt the loose pucks in the corner, and, without looking, he could just rim it hard around the boards because he knew one of the Sedins would be there to receive it. In Anaheim, he said he would have no idea where Rakell or Silf or whoever were going to be at any given time.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
One specific thing he said is that in Vancouver, they would get sustained zone time because Kesler would hunt the loose pucks in the corner, and, without looking, he could just rim it hard around the boards because he knew one of the Sedins would be there to receive it. In Anaheim, he said he would have no idea where Rakell or Silf or whoever were going to be at any given time.
Sounds like Bob should have traded Silf and Ricky with Montour. :laugh:

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

-He was not a fan of a guy like Cogliano getting traded away. He didn't say it was a terrible trade or anything, just said it sucks to lose a guy like Cogs in the dressing room.
You forgot Captain Rogaine. :laugh:

Reactions: duxfan1101

Bergey37

May 19, 2019

Wow. I am most intrigued by "the Ducks have the worst dressing room in the league." Did he elaborate at all? I've felt for several years (until this year) that there were issues in the room.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Wow. I am most intrigued by "the Ducks have the worst dressing room in the league." Did he elaborate at all? I've felt for several years (until this year) that there were issues in the room.
Did you not read the parentheses? He meant the room itself is terrible.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Perry should probably retire. I feel like he’s at the point where he can only damage his legacy and not add to it positively. And I say that as the biggest Perry fan there is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->