Former Ducks, 2019-20

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If you're actually spending time monitoring Dustin Penner's social media, I feel the need to question your priorities.

It was hard to miss, I logged onto twitter for the first time in about a week and all I could see was his nonsense everywhere clogging up my news feed.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I don't follow Penner on Twitter, but I took a look at his feed. I think he lapped Lyndon Larouche; Penner is full-on wacko. What happened to him? He used to be good friends with Sean Doolittle who is not the complete opposite (I mean, the complete opposite would be very scary too), but is fairly progressive.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't follow Penner on Twitter, but I took a look at his feed. I think he lapped Lyndon Larouche; Penner is full-on wacko. What happened to him? He used to be good friends with Sean Doolittle who is not the complete opposite (I mean, the complete opposite would be very scary too), but is fairly progressive.
he fell off the deep end once he left the NHL. he always seemed a bit odd but he's taken it to the extreme the last 5-6 years

oh yeah i forgot him an doolittle were good friends. not surprised if that friendship ended given their political views are pretty much opposite. and i wouldn't compare doolittle to penner. doo and his wife are awesome and did a lot for the community when he played in oakland (and now in DC.) penner does nothing but tweet about dumb shit and complain

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
he fell off the deep end once he left the NHL. he always seemed a bit odd but he's taken it to the extreme the last 5-6 years

oh yeah i forgot him an doolittle were good friends. not surprised if that friendship ended given their political views are pretty much opposite. and i wouldn't compare doolittle to penner. doo and his wife are awesome and did a lot for the community when he played in oakland (and now in DC.) penner does nothing but tweet about dumb shit and complain

I'm not comparing them. Just saying that it's odd he fell off the deep end the way he did when he was really good friends with someone who so different. I think Doolittle is intelligent, altruistic and socially conscious, so it was an odd friendship to begin with.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Is anyone a frequent listener to Spittin Chiclets? I could’ve sworn I read something months ago that Whitney speaks highly of his time in Anaheim but I can’t find it.

it’s a shame they never had anyone from the Ducks when they did their West Coast tour.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Is anyone a frequent listener to Spittin Chiclets? I could’ve sworn I read something months ago that Whitney speaks highly of his time in Anaheim but I can’t find it.

it’s a shame they never had anyone from the Ducks when they did their West Coast tour.
He liked the locker room, but he was absolutely not a fan of Carlyle or Murray. He's mentioned on numerous occasions that Murray wouldn't even say hi to him when they took the elevator together.

Also, they recently interviewed Getzlaf (who Whitney is buddies with), and that episode should be dropping shortly.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
He liked the locker room, but he was absolutely not a fan of Carlyle or Murray. He's mentioned on numerous occasions that Murray wouldn't even say hi to him when they took the elevator together.

Also, they recently interviewed Getzlaf (who Whitney is buddies with), and that episode should be dropping shortly.

Really? That's so pathetic. Grown man acting like a bitch.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Looking at old Hockey News yearbooks sure puts things into perspective. I was reading the 2014/2015 and was surprised to see that Dan Winnik has more (not by much) points than Selanne and Koivu (30 vs 29,27).

I don’t even remember Winnik being that effective though..? Or has time just erased that lol. I also remember years later Ryan Garbutt was on the team but then faded rapidly into nonexistence. Went from a pest with the Stars, ended up with us through the Sekac trade, and was not pesky at all.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
That was the year Teemu and Saku were on their absolute last legs and Winnik was in his prime so it would have been one of his better years. Winnik was a great defensive forward and always had decent playmaking ability he just couldn’t finish.

That was the year BB inexplicably scratched Winnik who was one of our best defensive forwards in the playoffs for Etem who had done nothing to earn his spot in the lineup apart from being marginally better at goal scoring. He also scratched Teemu for a game despite him having a semi productive playoffs which Teemu was openly furious about.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
That was the year Teemu and Saku were on their absolute last legs and Winnik was in his prime so it would have been one of his better years. Winnik was a great defensive forward and always had decent playmaking ability he just couldn’t finish.

That was the year BB inexplicably scratched Winnik who was one of our best defensive forwards in the playoffs for Etem who had done nothing to earn his spot in the lineup apart from being marginally better at goal scoring. He also scratched Teemu for a game despite him having a semi productive playoffs which Teemu was openly furious about.
I think that was also the year Bb played Fistric and Allen in the same lineup instead of Sami Vatanen. I was f***ing livid

Reactions: Paul4587

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
that was 2013/14. not 14/15

can't blame BB for scratching teemu. he had nothing left in the tank at that point and neither did koivu. if i remember correctly, it was koivu who failed to clear the puck in game 1 against LA which led to the gaborik tying goal

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA

Teemu was so mad that his son made a tweet about it, and T wrote it in his book

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

can't blame BB for scratching teemu. he had nothing left in the tank at that point and neither did koivu. if i remember correctly, it was koivu who failed to clear the puck in game 1 against LA which led to the gaborik tying goal

Teemu had 6 points in 12 games that playoff and was scratched in favour of Etem who had 0 points those playoffs. Teemu was on his last legs but he clearly saved some gas in the tank for that postseason. That was the wrong call on BBs part.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
Winnie, as my dad and I commented, was Pahlsson/Moen lite. He played wing but was a center at times and was decent at faceoffs. He didn’t look fast, but he had some quickness in his step. Like an above poster said, he had good playmaking ability. He reminds me of Dustin Penner with less skill and tenacity. Winnik had a lot of hits on the stat sheet but he wasn’t known for being mean other than the ocasional face wash. He didn’t handle himself well in fights and embellished on more than one occasion.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Yeah, and when someone actually questioned him about it during a press conference, he got all pissy and said something like “Dan’s a good player, but he’s got 6 goals this year” and the tone was like he was telling the reporter, you’re stupid for asking me why I benched a player so inconsequential. And I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard since Winnik was one of our most effective forwards that season.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA

That play could have completely changed the series

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Teemu had 6 points in 12 games that playoff and was scratched in favour of Etem who had 0 points those playoffs. Teemu was on his last legs but he clearly saved some gas in the tank for that postseason. That was the wrong call on BBs part.
well its no secret teemu hated playing for BB so that probably had something to do with it too

but BB scratching teemu was clearly done to bring more speed into the lineup

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
That Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano line was great defensive line and they also produced offensively. Winnik was amazing at winning board battles. I remember seeing time after time Winnik against 1 or 2 players in the corner and coming out with the puck. I think he also had a game where he scored 5 points?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

I thought that was Bryan Allen but I could be wrong. I missed the game on a camping trip, and I seem to remember getting a data signal and then reading everyone being mad at Allen lol.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I thought that was Bryan Allen but I could be wrong. I missed the game on a camping trip, and I seem to remember getting a data signal and then reading everyone being mad at Allen lol.
people were probably mad at allen because he didn't clear gaborik out of the crease but it was koivu who had the chance to clear the puck on the boards and let the kings keep it in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad