Former Ducks, 2019-20

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Koivu also lost the draw clean against Nashville in game 5 in 2011 when they had the goalie pulled, which led directly to the tying goal and lost the series for us. Guy was a great player in his career, but he sure had some disastrous moments for this team.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Koivu also lost the draw clean against Nashville in game 5 in 2011 when they had the goalie pulled, which led directly to the tying goal and lost the series for us. Guy was a great player in his career, but he sure had some disastrous moments for this team.

I remember that like it was yesterday. It was Teemu who then couldn’t get out to the point in time to prevent a shot. Other than that those two had a very good series but man that play killed us.

Reactions: ADHB

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Wiz losing it on Twitter. I figured he wasn't that bright but him being an alt-right moron is disappointing.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
With the quarantine going on I’ve been trying to look at some historical tidbits with this team. I even posted a thread about Sergei Fedorovs time with Anaheim in the Historical section if anyone wants to take a look. Someone directed me to the SC podcast in which Burke explains he didn’t like the team chemistry and makeup that they had there. Honestly, was it that bad?

He gets rid of Fedorov, okay sure. Then he gets rid of the other “big three” in Sykora, Rucchin and Prospal. Was there any reason in giving up those three besides cap? Sykora was great in Jersey and was around a cup-contending team. Prospal, similar situation, gets dealt for a draft pick and goes to Tampa.
Rucchin, who was a fan favorite I thought back in the day, just gets dealt to Atlanta with no real value back.

I thought I’ve seen some remarks here with saying he wanted players like Carney, Salei, Vishnevski and Ozolinsh to go to cup-contending teams if they weren’t competing. Is that even true?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
With the quarantine going on I’ve been trying to look at some historical tidbits with this team. I even posted a thread about Sergei Fedorovs time with Anaheim in the Historical section if anyone wants to take a look. Someone directed me to the SC podcast in which Burke explains he didn’t like the team chemistry and makeup that they had there. Honestly, was it that bad?

He gets rid of Fedorov, okay sure. Then he gets rid of the other “big three” in Sykora, Rucchin and Prospal. Was there any reason in giving up those three besides cap? Sykora was great in Jersey and was around a cup-contending team. Prospal, similar situation, gets dealt for a draft pick and goes to Tampa.
Rucchin, who was a fan favorite I thought back in the day, just gets dealt to Atlanta with no real value back.

I thought I’ve seen some remarks here with saying he wanted players like Carney, Salei, Vishnevski and Ozolinsh to go to cup-contending teams if they weren’t competing. Is that even true?
that 03-04 ducks team just wasn't very good. the 03 team had a strong second half and used that momentum+giguere's historically good play to make it to the finals. giguere wasn't great in 03-04 and fedorov and prospal, who were supposed to carry the offense, both had down years as well. chistov never took that next step and had an awful season. the defense took a step back as well.

in regards to fedorov though, 03-04 was the beginning of his decline. plus, you factor in that he was playing for a new team and new system for the first time after all those years playing under bowman's system and its no wonder things never really clicked for him. he also wasn't surrounded by talent like he was in detroit which only added to his difficulty adjusting

i think burke wanted nothing to do with fedorov because he knew his head was not in the right place and he did not want getzlaf/perry developing with fedorov as the "locker room leader." not sure if fedorov's slow start to 05-06 had anything to do with it, but at the time he was dealt he had 1 assist in 5 games. rucchin wasn't dealt, he signed with ATL as a FA. and didn't ozolinsh enter rehab for alcoholism during the 05-06 season? he's another one burke probably traded because he didn't think he was a good locker room presence for getzlaf/perry

i remember being shocked at the fedorov deal when it happened and especially because of the return, but who knew that would end up being one of the best trades in team history

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
that 03-04 ducks team just wasn't very good. the 03 team had a strong second half and used that momentum+giguere's historically good play to make it to the finals. giguere wasn't great in 03-04 and fedorov and prospal, who were supposed to carry the offense, both had down years as well. chistov never took that next step and had an awful season. the defense took a step back as well.

in regards to fedorov though, 03-04 was the beginning of his decline. plus, you factor in that he was playing for a new team and new system for the first time after all those years playing under bowman's system and its no wonder things never really clicked for him. he also wasn't surrounded by talent like he was in detroit which only added to his difficulty adjusting

i think burke wanted nothing to do with fedorov because he knew his head was not in the right place and he did not want getzlaf/perry developing with fedorov as the "locker room leader." not sure if fedorov's slow start to 05-06 had anything to do with it, but at the time he was dealt he had 1 assist in 5 games. rucchin wasn't dealt, he signed with ATL as a FA. and didn't ozolinsh enter rehab for alcoholism during the 05-06 season? he's another one burke probably traded because he didn't think he was a good locker room presence for getzlaf/perry

i remember being shocked at the fedorov deal when it happened and especially because of the return, but who knew that would end up being one of the best trades in team history
Rucchin was traded to NYR for Trevor Gillies. I hate that acquisition so much. Especially because Gillies is a goon who played a grand total of 1 game for the Ducks and picked up 21 PIMs

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Rucchin was traded to NYR for Trevor Gillies. I hate that acquisition so much. Especially because Gillies is a goon who played a grand total of 1 game for the Ducks and picked up 21 PIMs

Wasn’t Rucchin dealt just because he was on the wrong side of 30 and Burke didn’t think he had anything left? Could be wrong but I don’t think there was anything to it other than his age. Carney was also dealt during the season for the same reason.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Wasn’t Rucchin dealt just because he was on the wrong side of 30 and Burke didn’t think he had anything left? Could be wrong but I don’t think there was anything to it other than his age. Carney was also dealt during the season for the same reason.
oops, forgot rucchin was dealt to NYR right before the season. that was a salary move, nothing to do with his age

i'm pretty sure burke dealt carney because they had just acquired o'donnell

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Along with Kariya, those three were the guys I wish could have won a cup with us. Such great guys.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
yeah i really wish rucchin and salei had been on that 06-07 team
I do too, but at least Teemu was brought back. Teemu winning a cup with us is something I didn’t think I’d see in 2004 and it’s something I’ll always be thankful for

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Watching the 1997 SC playoffs against Phoenix reminds me how much clutching and grabbing went on, how much the referees let go and how little the NHL did to protect their best players then. It's still bad, but back then was so much worse and watching it now from 2020, I'm screaming at the t.v. like it matters, lol. I don't blame Paul Kariya one bit for being bitter towards the NHL after what he went through. It's negligence on the part of the league the way Kariya changed from one of the most dynamic players to a perimeter player to a former player who is still living with the effects of too many concussions.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I do too, but at least Teemu was brought back. Teemu winning a cup with us is something I didn’t think I’d see in 2004 and it’s something I’ll always be thankful for
when teemu came back in 05 i was just happy he'd have the chance to retire as a duck. figured he was well past his prime and would play another couple seasons before hanging them up

would've never guessed he'd play another 10 seasons at the level he did

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
didn't boogaard also destroy fedoruk in a fight? like literally dented his face

Yes, Boogaard back then was the scariest tough guy out there, literally capable of killing somebody with those fists. I remembered about the Rucchin for Gillies trade about ten days ago and got nausea... Watched also the fight mentioned here and nothing to say, Gillies got worked...

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, Boogaard back then was the scariest tough guy out there, literally capable of killing somebody with those fists. I remembered about the Rucchin for Gillies trade about ten days ago and got nausea... Watched also the fight mentioned here and nothing to say, Gillies got worked...
I respect his courage but Gillies was a complete moron for accepting that fight. He was young and trying to prove himself but that just wasn’t the guy you wanted to do it against
Boogaard was 6’7 267 pounds. Guy was a beast. RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad