Former Ducks, 2019-20

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I respect his courage but Gillies was a complete moron for accepting that fight. He was young and trying to prove himself but that just wasn’t the guy you wanted to do it against
Boogaard was 6’7 267 pounds. Guy was a beast. RIP

I disagree, Gillies was called up EXACTLY to match against Boogie and did what he was supposed to do, he just wasn't experienced enough and let Boogaard's arm free and that's a KO if it lands... and it did. If Gillies had an even fight or whatever he would have stuck with the team, I'm pretty sure of that. Enforcers newcomers try to make a name for themselves so they'd go for the big names out there: shy away from the top dog and be sure you'll never see the big league again, it was that simple.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I disagree, Gillies was called up EXACTLY to match against Boogie and did what he was supposed to do, he just wasn't experienced enough and let Boogaard's arm free and that's a KO if it lands... and it did. If Gillies had an even fight or whatever he would have stuck with the team, I'm pretty sure of that. Enforcers newcomers try to made a name for themselves so they'd go for the big names out there: shy away from the top dog and be sure you'll never see the big league again, it was that simple.
im pretty sure that was gillies's NHL debut too

can't blame him for trying to show the coaches he didn't fear taking on a guy like boogaard. even if he did get his ass kicked

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008

Just as a heads-up for everyone: a long 45-minute clip of Holzer with former German NHLer and reporter, Erich "Rick" Goldmann. Clip is in German, I've been told they're working on English subtitles. The clip was almost completely filmed prior to him being traded. At the end of the clip, they have a video call with him in which he mentions that he hated (and probably still hates) Nashville from top to bottom, hated their team and fans due to all the games against them and would very much like to come back to Anaheim, if that ever were a possibility. Furthermore, he stated that he explicitly told BM beforehand, that he could be traded to any single franchise in the NHL but LA and Nashville. Guy clearly was a Duck at heart.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Just as a heads-up for everyone: a long 45-minute clip of Holzer with former German NHLer and reporter, Erich "Rick" Goldmann. Clip is in German, I've been told they're working on English subtitles. The clip was almost completely filmed prior to him being traded. At the end of the clip, they have a video call with him in which he mentions that he hated (and probably still hates) Nashville from top to bottom, hated their team and fans due to all the games against them and would very much like to come back to Anaheim, if that ever were a possibility. Furthermore, he stated that he explicitly told BM beforehand, that he could be traded to any single franchise in the NHL but LA and Nashville. Guy clearly was a Duck at heart.

Anaheim's german community liked having him i'd imagine. Anaheim was founded by 50 german familys in 1857, the name comes from mixing the name of the santa ana river and the german word for Home, Heim.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

And Bob still traded him to Nashville? Ouch, that's bad, isn't it?
I loved Korbi here and would welcome him back, albeit it seems we could be moving on. He was a very serviceable #7 and a good locker room guy. Bad tanning skills tho :sarcasm: I think I remember him with a tanned in t-shirt shape :laugh: Fun guy, too.

Anaheim's german community liked having him i'd imagine. Anaheim was founded by 50 german familys in 1857, the name comes from mixing the name of the santa ana river and the german word for Home, Heim.

That's cool!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Nattinen will exercise his contract option to consider overseas offers. I would love us to be among the ones offering him something, but I doubt we are the main contenders. Seeing Curran and Haakanpaa (last year) deals rumored and signed quite early - we would have done the same with Julius. So I have little hope he signs with us

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Why did we cut ties with him? I don't remember reading anything about it, and he was still so young.

Edit: Some guy on reddit posted this about speculation on him returning to the Ducks.

Also some random commentors on Jatkoaika, the Finnish equivalent for HfBoards had "insider rumours" that the Ducks would be the destination as early as January this year

Last edited:
Reactions: gilfaizon

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Why did we cut ties with him? I don't remember reading anything about it, and he was still so young.

Edit: Some guy on reddit posted this about speculation on him returning to the Ducks.

We cut ties with him because he couldn’t even establish himself as a decent player at the AHL level and wanted to go back to Finland. In his stint here he looked like he was towing a bus when he skated, he must have improved his skating significantly since leaving.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

January? I`m confused.

As for cutting the ties, I`m not sure what happened. But I was left with the impression (no data to back it up whatsoever) that we did a favorable thing for him to go back and play where he wants. So I just hope we have good relationship with him and he indeed would return to Anaheim.

Without Groulx, we really do not have a potential NHL center with a respectable frame and size.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

As a frequent Jatkoaika reader, I'm pretty sure there hasn't been any serious rumors regarding Nättinen going to Anaheim. There is a recurring meme of Nättinen going to Anaheim that has been around for years. Someone might see it and think of it as a serious rumor.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
To go with my post earlier in our roster thread thought it’s worth noting that Bobby Ryan got the Sens Masterton nomination.

Theodore got the Vegas nomination.

Really hope Ryan wins but he’s got some stiff competition this year with Lindblom, Johns and Bouwmeester.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Wow, I definitely do not recall having any inkling of this when he was in the system. I can't imagine carrying that weight around while trying to focus on being a high level athlete. All the best to Newton.

Can report that "Happy Jake" seems to be in a good place right now:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Julius Nättinen ended up signing in Ambri-Piotta in Switzerland.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
well, that's surprising

Perhaps not, considering the current state of affairs globally. Nobody has a clue on when NHL hockey will be played next, plus the COVID situation in the US is pretty bad

In Switzerland he gets a nice payday while waiting for an NHL opportunity. He would've probably got more money from the KHL, but it tends to be more tedious to escape those contracts later on.

Reactions: Kalv and JabbaJabba

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He was on a bad contract but always liked Juice, even tho he unsuccessfully tried to be Karlsson in his last year.
This story also includes our HC Dallas Eakins and well our former GM:

I had heard it an I'm sure many of you as well, but still a cool story.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I had a feeling those two would become buddys, Boston appears to be Team Czech with a total of 5 Czech's on their roster as well as 2 Slovak's who speak similar language.
If its one thing i know about Czech's is they love their beer, as Europes most beer drinking country in all of europe surpassing even Germany/Austria.
Perhaps Pastarnak and Kase went out for Pilsner Urquels and caught the virus. The pale lager type of beer known as a Pilsner was invented in Plzen, Czech Republic as most modern beers are based on this type of beer making.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad