Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Not re-signing Toffoli who wanted to come back for less than the cost of our backup goalie might be Benning’s worst move yet. Add in what we traded for the guy and it’s even worse. Could have fit him in without our crappy off ice disaster winger and another small contract too. Incredible.

Reactions: mossey3535

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Not re-signing Toffoli who wanted to come back for less than the cost of our backup goalie might be Benning’s worst move yet. Add in what we traded for the guy and it’s even worse. Could have fit him in without our crappy off ice disaster winger and another small contract too. Incredible.
I mean, it's nowhere near the top, which just goes to how dire Benning has been.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They could have fit him in if the moved off Jake and opted for a cheaper and less established veteran goalie. More of a Nilsson caliber in the $2.5 mill range. That would be $2.55 from Jake and $1.8 reduction in the goalies. That comes to $4.35 mill which is enough.

but two main issues was that the team still believed Jake could take another step and that they wanted more insurance for Demko. So goes to show that they over Believed on Jake and under believed on Demko.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
They could have fit him in if the moved off Jake and opted for a cheaper and less established veteran goalie. More of a Nilsson caliber in the $2.5 mill range. That would be $2.55 from Jake and $1.8 reduction in the goalies. That comes to $4.35 mill which is enough.

but two main issues was that the team still believed Jake could take another step and that they wanted more insurance for Demko. So goes to show that they over Believed on Jake and under believed on Demko.

"Under believed" on Demko eh? Guess that's why they handed him $25 million for having had 8 great weeks...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Thank goodness we didn't, but if he was moved to Arizona in an OEL disaster trade - which sounds like it would have been very possible had Markstrom signed - that would have completed the perfect circle of shit for that draft.

always looking on the bright side

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it's only a small move in the scheme of things and hardly ranks up there with Benning's innumerable trade pratfalls, but the Gaudette for Highmore deal still rankles.

I mean it's not too early to assess Highmore for what he is--an AHL-NHL tweener. He's a depth forward who at the very most provides organization depth stashed in Utica.

The problem is that he's owned $750,000 for this year and next, regardless of whether he plays in the minors or not. So all they got is a guy who likely can't play for them, but will earn an NHL salary in minors and probably block the progress of a prospect who needs ice time in the hopes that one day he can make the Canucks.

So Jimbo accomplished the impossible. He traded a semi-useful player in Gaudette who may blossom in Chicago, for a guy who actually represents 'negative value' to your organization.

How does he manage to do it....time after time, after time?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is the story i've always heard too.

one wonders, what if instead of being the victim of canuck luck as always, we'd been able to keep larionov in '93 and '94 and still made the kron for craven trade...

i don't know about the craven trade, but i believe to this day larianov was the wrong move that cost us the 94 cup and mitchell was the wrong move that cost us 2011. larianov may have cost us bure in the end also, because we also lost him as a translator and peacemaker as well as a consumate pro bure could have learned from.

with mitchell i guess it depends on whether we would have not signed hammer or not trade for ballard

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
i don't know about the craven trade, but i believe to this day larianov was the wrong move that cost us the 94 cup and mitchell was the wrong move that cost us 2011. larianov may have cost us bure in the end also, because we also lost him as a translator and peacemaker as well as a consumate pro bure could have learned from.

with mitchell i guess it depends on whether we would have not signed hammer or not trade for ballard

How was it the "wrong move?" Guy wouldn't sign here basically due to political reasons back home. Not really much you can do there.

Reactions: Hit the post

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

'Wrong move' feels like the wrong terminology here.

Larionov wanted to stay, and we wanted to keep him. But he was talking a principled stance against having more money funneled back to the USSR on his back. And he was already 32, which was ancient for an NHL forward by the standards of the time. There wasn't really a lot else that could have been done.

In Mitchell's case, it was just awful timing. The guy had ongoing PCS symptoms when he hit UFA and it looked like his career, and then the symptoms cleared up late in the summer after we'd replaced him. We 100% took the right course of action as it would have been reckless to leave a huge hole in a contending team on a fingers-crossed situation that he would recover, when most guys in his age/situation don't.

Both were just bad luck and a bad collection of circumstances. Unfortunate.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Franchise-crippling move.

i don’t follow?

i still think the decision, post-mitchell concussion, to cheap out on seidenberg at the deadline and settling for alberts changed everything

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

Passing on Brendan Morrison when he did a PTO for us in the preseason I think could've made the difference in the Finals. He signed something around the $700-800k range so he could've easily fit under the salary cap.

Looked decent playing for the Flames that season, too.

Reactions: vanuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Passing on Brendan Morrison when he did a PTO for us in the preseason I think could've made the difference in the Finals. He signed something around the $700-800k range so he could've easily fit under the salary cap.

Looked decent playing for the Flames that season, too.

Yeah, we had Morrison and Schaefer in camp (Schaefer having not played for a year) and inexplicably kept Schaefer even though Morrison was better, had a better recent track record, and offered more positional versatility.

Schaefer lasted a month before it was obvious he couldn't keep up and was released.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Would love for Gaudette to become a star with the Blackhawks.

I remember the Flyers making an equally stupid move selling low on Patrick Sharp and tossing him out for Matt Ellison and a 3rd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad