Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
is there subtext here?

bieksa on halford and brough: “i was there during the golden years. we had a good reputation, on and off the ice, we did a lot of work with the community, we visited the children’s hospitals, we treated people the right way... i don’t know what’s going on there now at times.”

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
is there subtext here?

bieksa on halford and brough: “i was there during the golden years. we had a good reputation, on and off the ice, we did a lot of work with the community, we visited the children’s hospitals, we treated people the right way... i don’t know what’s going on there now at times.”
Pat Quinn started that when he arrived and it continued on through Burke/Nonis and into Gillis since majority of the roster came through the prior regime. Now, the only ties to that era is Alex Edler as the final player.

KB was around for a decade, so since he's not around the city anymore, he probably checks in time to time with guys like the twins, Linden, Hansen, etc. whomever are still in the city since retirement.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pat Quinn started that when he arrived and it continued on through Burke/Nonis and into Gillis since majority of the roster came through the prior regime. Now, the only ties to that era is Alex Edler as the final player.

KB was around for a decade, so since he's not around the city anymore, he probably checks in time to time with guys like the twins, Linden, Hansen, etc. whomever are still in the city since retirement.

In the fallout of the Edler-Simmonds thing Bieksa mentioned that Edler was one of his best friends in the world and that they talked regularly (including right after that incident) so if Bieksa is indicating that he doesn't know what's happening regarding community involvement, I'd certainly there's a good chance that is a frustration passed along by Edler.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

In the fallout of the Edler-Simmonds thing Bieksa mentioned that Edler was one of his best friends in the world and that they talked regularly (including right after that incident) so if Bieksa is indicating that he doesn't know what's happening regarding community involvement, I'd certainly there's a good chance that is a frustration passed along by Edler.

i guess what i'm also wondering is, is he only talking about players in the community (which afaik does still happen, though maybe not on the organizational scale of quinn through gillis eras) or is he talking about the organization itself pulling away from those commitments or... when he says "we treated people the right way... i don’t know what’s going on there now at times" is he also talking about the way people are treated by the organization beyond the community?

for ex, people who work for the organization...?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I also don’t remember the details, but his deal had the Canucks paying money to the Russians, and Larionov didn’t want that to continue. In order to change this, for some reason I don’t understand, he had to leave the NHL, so he went to play in the Swiss league. No idea why he ended up in San Jose afterward, but I think it might have just been a dollars thing, or due to the Canucks acquiring Craven and Ronning coming into his own?

IIRC the deal was that the Nux had to give the Soviets $ if he resigned with them but any subsequent teams didn't and Igor was dead set against this clause so he had to leave Van even though he was apparently quite happy here so he ended up with the Sharks.

Reactions: mossey3535

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i guess what i'm also wondering is, is he only talking about players in the community (which afaik does still happen, though maybe not on the organizational scale of quinn through gillis eras) or is he talking about the organization itself pulling away from those commitments or... when he says "we treated people the right way... i don’t know what’s going on there now at times" is he also talking about the way people are treated by the organization beyond the community?

for ex, people who work for the organization...?

There is COVID which kind of changed things but previously I'm not aware of any changes. Virtanen was still at every summer event. Obviously, the Sedins retiring left a huge hole as they were leaders for the Canucks both on and off the ice. I don't think Edler's community involvement was anywhere near the same level as the Sedins, which is not a slight on Edler as much as the Sedins were really amazing.

Canucks players visiting kids and hospitals can easily be googled:

Record-breaking $7.1 million raised by Canucks for Kids Fund this season | Offside

Canucks stop in on Buck - Prince George Citizen

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
IIRC the deal was that the Nux had to give the Soviets $ if he resigned with them but any subsequent teams didn't and Igor was dead set against this clause so he had to leave Van even though he was apparently quite happy here so he ended up with the Sharks.

this is the story i've always heard too.

one wonders, what if instead of being the victim of canuck luck as always, we'd been able to keep larionov in '93 and '94 and still made the kron for craven trade...

Reactions: mossey3535

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I thought it was because the Canucks thought he was an aging small C? Reading up on this, the Canucks put him on waivers. There was a Waivers draft back in the day?
No, definitely not because they didn't want him – he had just revitalized his NHL career by playing alongside Pavel Bure, and the two had instant chemistry. He didn't want Sovintersport taking a chunk of his salary (as a sort of transfer fee) so he left the league. My recollection at the time was that the Canucks did not expect he would return, so they released his rights (which SJ picked up on a wing and a prayer). You can see from the below exchange with Jason Botchford that he disagreed, but nothing he posted here really suggests that Larionov was expected to return or explains why the Canucks would have released him if they thought he was going to:

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
There is COVID which kind of changed things but previously I'm not aware of any changes. Virtanen was still at every summer event. Obviously, the Sedins retiring left a huge hole as they were leaders for the Canucks both on and off the ice. I don't think Edler's community involvement was anywhere near the same level as the Sedins, which is not a slight on Edler as much as the Sedins were really amazing.

Canucks players visiting kids and hospitals can easily be googled:

Record-breaking $7.1 million raised by Canucks for Kids Fund this season | Offside

Canucks stop in on Buck - Prince George Citizen

yeah, that's kind of why i was asking. i don't feel like the team is doing noticeably less for the community...

so what's KB really talking about?

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
yeah, that's kind of why i was asking. i don't feel like the team is doing noticeably less for the community...

so what's KB really talking about?

Yep. I should correct my last comment and say that Edler was the Canucks nominee for the King Clancy award last season. Obviously, the Eagle's Nest isn't active when the Canucks don't have fans in the seats. Edler has also been involved in the raise a reader program in the past.

I really don't know what KB is talking about either.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yep. I should correct my last comment and say that Edler was the Canucks nominee for the King Clancy award last season. Obviously, the Eagle's Nest isn't active when the Canucks don't have fans in the seats. Edler has also been involved in the raise a reader program in the past.

I really don't know what KB is talking about either.

now that i had to run an midday errand and listened to the rest of that podcast, there is more than a little shade from KB to the benning regime in this morning's radio spot, most overtly

but not sure what specifically he was shading in the original comment that i quoted.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

now that you say it, this sounds right to me.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
now that i had to run an midday errand and listened to the rest of that podcast, there is more than a little shade from KB to the benning regime in this morning's radio spot, most overtly

but not sure what specifically he was shading in the original comment that i quoted.

I think he is salty just a little that Jim didnt want to resign him and traded him. Understandable as he had spent his whole Career in Vancouver up until that point.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
You mean thank you Travis don't you?

Forsling's rights were traded without him ever playing in the Canucks' organization so he had no connection to Green. The commonality between Forsling and Gaudette is that they were Canucks' 5th round picks who were traded by Benning.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Forsling's rights were traded without him ever playing in the Canucks' organization so he had no connection to Green. The commonality between Forsling and Gaudette is that they were Canucks' 5th round picks who were traded by Benning.

I was referring to Gaudette who was, in my view, the most useless player on this team that got any real icetime. His renaissance in Chicago surprises even me and I already don't think much of Green's coaching. If he blossoms into a useful NHL player Green is going to look terrible...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The commonality is that both were traded for already scratched (losing) scratch lottery tickets.

Drafting gurus can always pick more prospects!:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad