Former Canucks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How is it that Benning targets all the wrong age gappers, and gives out ones that work out? This guy operates like a brain-injured Inspector Gadget. Fumbles everything, and the work of somebody else always saves his ass - and Benning thinks he's the one doing it all. Bet Gaudette torches us once schedules get back to normal.
Go go Benning!

Reactions: mossey3535

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Best part is, we could have just held on to McCann, who just had a 3 point night tonight. 35 points in 43 games now, which is a 67 point pace in an 82 game season.

But hey, we only:
  • Dumped another high 2nd
  • Swapped a 4th for a 5th
  • Gave away Gustav Forsling for Clendening, who it took the regime 3 months to figure out he sucked because pro scouting is overrated
  • And swapped another 2nd rounder we got for Bieksa to get a 3rd we traded away a lifetime ago for Pedan
...just to turn cost-controlled Bonino and McCann into overpaid Sutter and Pearson. Total disgrace from a cap and asset management standpoint.

#ThankYouJim

Would have been better off sitting on our hands and just making the correct 14' and 16' Top 6 picks and we're lightyears ahead.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Karma finally comes for Duncan Keith almost a decade after his dirty hit on Daniel Sedin. He got a concussion from the linesman's knee.

5oq70S.gif

bshWPK7.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Periodic reminder that we traded away Kassian and a pick to get this culture carrier character player.

The truth is we really don't know how someone is like until they start speaking their minds in public. Even then, you're almost always going to have a teammate who is absolutely the best teammate but an AH off the ice. I'm completely on the opposite spectrum of Prust's political beliefs and world view, but he was considered a great locker room guy who did a lot of charity work. Even the Leafs kept him on as a practice player for a while (granted at the time their coach was Babcock).

People underestimate just how critical it was for Kassian to sober up. The sad reality is that NHL teams can only support a player dealing with addiction for so long. That's why you saw Kassian go on waivers and clear waivers.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The truth is we really don't know how someone is like until they start speaking their minds in public. Even then, you're almost always going to have a teammate who is absolutely the best teammate but an AH off the ice. I'm completely on the opposite spectrum of Prust's political beliefs and world view, but he was considered a great locker room guy who did a lot of charity work. Even the Leafs kept him on as a practice player for a while (granted at the time their coach was Babcock).

People underestimate just how critical it was for Kassian to sober up. The sad reality is that NHL teams can only support a player dealing with addiction for so long. That's why you saw Kassian go on waivers and clear waivers.
Kassian was good prior to getting his $3 mill per payday. Haven’t heard much from him since that contract.

Reactions: Hit the post

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Jared McCann has 14G 18A in 43GP, absolutely killing it with some great underlying numbers too.

Forsling with 5G 12A in 42GP averaging 20 mins/night.

How nice would it be to have these 2 guys in our lineup instead of Chatfield/Vesey/Highmore/Michaelis/Boyd :huh::help:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Jared McCann has 14G 18A in 43GP, absolutely killing it with some great underlying numbers too.

How nice would it be to have these 2 guys in our lineup instead of Chatfield/Vesey/Highmore/Michaelis/Boyd :huh::help:
How about ANYBODY instead of NoGoodBranSuck stinking up the Canucks jersey while making like 4 million? When the head coach gives increased ice time to two rookies/sophomores due to injuries on the blueline instead of that piece of ****, that should tell you something.

Jim Cornette to Jim Benning: “Hello, **** you, goodbye”.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

McCann and Forsling were not character guys you win with when the games matter, thats why we got Eriksson Beagle Sutter Roussell Baertchi Ferland Myers Chatty Vesey Highmore Hawrluk Michaels Boyd and for what seemed like not long enough Gudbranson MDZ Benn Pouliot Sbisa Vey Barkowski Pedan Etc

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
McCann and Forsling were not character guys you win with when the games matter, thats why we got Eriksson Beagle Sutter Roussell Baertchi Ferland Myers Chatty Vesey Highmore Hawrluk Michaels Boyd and for what seemed like not long enough Gudbranson MDZ Benn Pouliot Sbisa Vey Barkowski Pedan Etc

One could argue that making sure the games don't matter is a creative solution to the problem.

rickwiththe

Dec 13, 2018
Jonathan Dahlen recently tied the Swedish second leagues all time scoring record (2 seasons ago and this year he was 6 pts shy but with a higher pts/gp at 1.577) and his team is 1 win from coming back to the first league with him scoring 9 g 11a in 14 games. Figured it might be a good time to look into bringing him over again for the next season. Apparently I missed that Vancouver traded the rights away to San Jose. I guess he won't be playing with Pettersson after all..

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Jonathan Dahlen recently tied the Swedish second leagues all time scoring record (2 seasons ago and this year he was 6 pts shy but with a higher pts/gp at 1.577) and his team is 1 win from coming back to the first league with him scoring 9 g 11a in 14 games. Figured it might be a good time to look into bringing him over again for the next season. Apparently I missed that Vancouver traded the rights away to San Jose. I guess he won't be playing with Pettersson after all..

I think Dahlen prefers to be a big fish in a small pond. For me it goes back to the decision he made, prior to coming over to the AHL, to stay in the second tier league rather move up to the SHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Dahlen prefers to be a big fish in a small pond. For me it goes back to the decision he made, prior to coming over to the AHL, to stay in the second tier league rather move up to the SHL.

Didn't he try to help Timra move up to SHL though?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Didn't he try to help Timra move up to SHL though?
He’s a late birthday from the 2016 draft so he is 23 going on 24 later this year. If he is looking to make the NHL it should be either in 21-22 or 22-23 at the latest.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He’s a late birthday from the 2016 draft so he is 23 going on 24 later this year. If he is looking to make the NHL it should be either in 21-22 or 22-23 at the latest.

I was referring to his decision to stay with Timra rather than join an SHL team.

rickwiththe

Dec 13, 2018
I was referring to his decision to stay with Timra rather than join an SHL team.
Hard to fault someone for sticking with a team they've been playing with since 2014

upload_2021-5-10_22-59-54.png

The pts/gp growth is pretty impressive even if the second league is very uneven in terms of skill. He's certainly improved over the last few years even if his AHL time didn't pan out that well. A top team in the second league should still be able to keep up with a lot of SHL teams.

I don't know what fueled his decision of staying in Timrå, but there could be multiple reasons ranging from lack of confidence to loyalty.

Attachments

• upload_2021-5-10_22-59-18.png
    upload_2021-5-10_22-59-18.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 1

rickwiththe

Dec 13, 2018
Dahlen is possibly the softest player I've ever seen. And a poor skater.

I can't say I've watched him play lately other than that he seems to have improved his scoring quite drastically the last 2 seasons. So he could be soft and poor at skating, wouldn't surprise me if he could be a consistent 40-50 pts player in the NHL though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't say I've watched him play lately other than that he seems to have improved his scoring quite drastically the last 2 seasons. So he could be soft and poor at skating, wouldn't surprise me if he could be a consistent 40-50 pts player in the NHL though.

I watched him play probably 30 times in the AHL in 18-19.

He has hands and puck skills and was effective on the PP. And in 4-on-4 situations where there was more time and space.

At 5-on-5, he was basically an unplayable disaster at that level. Slow as hell, poor defensively, and absolutely butter soft. Everything on the perimeter. I think he scored 3 5-on-5 goals in 50 games that season while bleeding goals at the other end of the rink.

There's no way this is a capable NHL player. His current numbers look impressive but he's essentially playing in the ECHL.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Saw a clip on youtube where a Panthers player got cheap shotted and Forsling was the first guy to go after the opposing player. Yet when it happens here the "good pro's" just skate the other way.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Saw a clip on youtube where a Panthers player got cheap shotted and Forsling was the first guy to go after the opposing player. Yet when it happens here the "good pro's" just skate the other way.

Care to share the clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad