FORMER Canucks Part |||

Who's situation in leaving the Canucks (Ufa, trade) makes Benning look the most foolish?

• Total voters

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think the facts that are presented so far don't look good and I agree with what you are saying. However that article feels like it also goes out of its way to not point fingers or allegations at anyone.
Sure. The allegations will come out in time. Its clear that the company had a head start and they are front footing this well. Breaking on twitter like that means something as well. And Then an article puts Mitchells name right out front.

If I was to use conjecture, I would say everything that has come out so far points to an ownership group that has hired a crisis management team, and we are seeing the crisis being managed. I think they know it will come out from victims so they are making sure they are controlling the flow of information, and Mitchells name is a big peace of information they have put out.

And I speak as if the allegations are true to make it easier to post, but I don’t know, and I am not making judgement there.

Honestly I can’t remember last time a story like this came out and the people involved had already hired people to start dealing with it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure. The allegations will come out in time. Its clear that the company had a head start and they are front footing this well. Breaking on twitter like that means something as well. And Then an article puts Mitchells name right out front.

If I was to use conjecture, I would say everything that has come out so far points to an ownership group that has hired a crisis management team, and we are seeing the crisis being managed. I think they know it will come out from victims so they are making sure they are controlling the flow of information, and Mitchells name is a big peace of information they have put out.

And I speak as if the allegations are true to make it easier to post, but I don’t know, and I am not making judgement there.

Honestly I can’t remember last time a story like this came out and the people involved had already hired people to start dealing with it.
It was easier for posters here to get the news about Jake, Reid, etc because they are considered Jerks.
Different situation when it is potentially players then fanbase liked.

My position never wavers with stuff like this. I have no skin in the game. I only hope that there is enough evidence for the truth to the come out regardless of whether that is for or against the player in question.

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

CalderSchmalder

Jul 26, 2009
Vancouver
I was watching an Oilers vs Canucks game from 1986 last night and noticed Brent Peterson wearing the C, didn't know he was ever captain here. Does anyone know if Smyl was injured or suspended for the playoffs that year?

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 12.27.58 AM.png

EDIT: "Stan Smyl, the captain of the Canucks, is lost for the season with a knee injury. Smyl was hurt when he was hit by Alain Cote late in the third period of the Canucks’ 7-6 win over the Quebec Nordiques Wednesday night. A team spokesman said that Smyl is expected to undergo knee surgery next week. Center Brent Peterson has been named the team’s new captain"

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindgren

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I was watching an Oilers vs Canucks game from 1986 last night and noticed Brent Peterson wearing the C, didn't know he was ever captain here. Does anyone know if Smyl was injured or suspended for the playoffs that year?

View attachment 584527

I found an LA times article that said he was named captain after Smyl was out for an extended amount of time for a knee surgery.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Its always a tough situation to break news like this. I find in todays media so much is being made to be first sometimes facts get in the way.

Now to be clear I am not saying at all that is what is happening here. It seems controlled and I have no reason to doubt what we are starting to hear. I am just talking more general.

I only bring this up to discuss your last point and without knowing any detail just yet, it is probably good innocent or guilty to try and be ahead of things as much as you can. I think we can look to the Heard Depp trial and where Depp really one was the court of public opinion where it was clear he was winning the spin.

It was easier for posters here to get the news about Jake, Reid, etc because they are considered Jerks.
Different situation when it is potentially players then fanbase liked.

My position never wavers with stuff like this. I have no skin in the game. I only hope that there is enough evidence for the truth to the come out regardless of whether that is for or against the player in question.

I think you are probably right, I mean we all knew Jake was a douche, so it was easy to jump on board. I would like to think I am unbiased enough that I will let the evidence speak for itself. With Jake, it was the multiple woman coming forward that really pushed that narrative at least for me.

With your second point, it is where its tough with these types of crimes, so often there is no actually evidence and it just becomes a He said she said, and whoever the victim is loses. I get it but it does become demoralizing.

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its always a tough situation to break news like this. I find in todays media so much is being made to be first sometimes facts get in the way.

Now to be clear I am not saying at all that is what is happening here. It seems controlled and I have no reason to doubt what we are starting to hear. I am just talking more general.

I only bring this up to discuss your last point and without knowing any detail just yet, it is probably good innocent or guilty to try and be ahead of things as much as you can. I think we can look to the Heard Depp trial and where Depp really one was the court of public opinion where it was clear he was winning the spin.

I think you are probably right, I mean we all knew Jake was a douche, so it was easy to jump on board. I would like to think I am unbiased enough that I will let the evidence speak for itself. With Jake, it was the multiple woman coming forward that really pushed that narrative at least for me.

With your second point, it is where its tough with these types of crimes, so often there is no actually evidence and it just becomes a He said she said, and whoever the victim is loses. I get it but it does become demoralizing.
In the Virtanen case there was so little evidence.

These situations need to be reported ASAP and physical evidence gathered. Along with text message, phone calls, surveillance cameras, etc.

Reactions: racerjoe

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
This type of story is being reported so frequently now that it is hard to say it is just a few bad apples. There is a rotten culture within the upper echelon of hockey that allows this to happen.

Players receive too much fame/money/notoriety at too young of an age without getting nearly enough guidance or effort on how to be men away from the game. We shouldn’t be surprised when this story gets reported again and again.

Most players have the common sense to be good people—but there is an unacceptable number of players who have gone through the system who turned into dangerous people.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This type of story is being reported so frequently now that it is hard to say it is just a few bad apples. There is a rotten culture within the upper echelon of hockey that allows this to happen.

Players receive too much fame/money/notoriety at too young of an age without getting nearly enough guidance or effort on how to be men away from the game. We shouldn’t be surprised when this story gets reported again and again.

Most players have the common sense to be good people—but there is an unacceptable number of players who have gone through the system who turned into dangerous people.

While it's coming up in hockey a ton, I think it is larger than just hockey. Look at Favre, read everything Jenn Sterger went through. Its a sickening culture that has been created.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

One thing that I think cannot be harped on enough is that you cannot overtly trust people regardless of how much of an ally they appear to be.

If you go through the rumoured assailant's twitter likes, you can see some degree of allyship in regards to the events with Hockey Canada and some other notes etc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

And this board perpetuates that as people look towards the draft when the kids at what 15/16 years old?

When you send kids away to play hockey at 15 have the parents done a good enough job raising them up to that point? Are the billets able to be that parental figure they need? Has the staff of these clubs been vetted and trained on what current policies? Etc….

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017

View attachment 584527

EDIT: "Stan Smyl, the captain of the Canucks, is lost for the season with a knee injury. Smyl was hurt when he was hit by Alain Cote late in the third period of the Canucks’ 7-6 win over the Quebec Nordiques Wednesday night. A team spokesman said that Smyl is expected to undergo knee surgery next week. Center Brent Peterson has been named the team’s new captain"

Yeah, I remember that. Peterson was a good choice, he carried the C really well, and was probably the best player for the Canucks for the run against the Oilers, definitely taking up Smyl's mantle of being the hardest worker.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

What's crazy to me, as someone who played at a high enough level to play with/against current NHL players, this is all shocking to me. I don't know if I was busy keeping on the straight and narrow(relatively speaking) to notice, but I never saw the girls being assaulted or the guys talking about it after.

The one that didn't surprise me was Evander Kane. Was never my teammate but we attended a couple camps together. Most arrogant 15 year old I've ever met. My buddy peed on his skates because he was THAT unbearable.

• Haha
Reactions: andora and Peen

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It's just impossible to tell what happened at this point. This could be nothing, and an overreaction out of an abundance of caution, or someone might have done something really awful and they're circling the wagons. My money would be on the latter.

EDIT: Actual sexual assaults were alleged, which I didn't read in the stories I saw

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
It's just impossible to tell what happened at this point. This could be nothing, and an overreaction out of an abundance of caution, or someone might have done something really awful and they're circling the wagons. My money would be on the latter.

EDIT: Actual sexual assaults were alleged, which I didn't read in the stories I saw

Based on what I have read online (which is not proven, mind you), there are ample amount of "witnesses" too.

The accusations are the exact opposite of my original thoughts of Willie as a person.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Based on what I have read online (which is not proven, mind you), there are ample amount of "witnesses" too.

The accusations are the exact opposite of my original thoughts of Willie as a person.
Yeah, I read an initial report that said nearly nothing and didn't mention the managers of the bar shut it down and told everyone to leave.

Reactions: supercanuck

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Wow sifting through the various "news" sources it appears that this event (which looks to me to be more concert series/party than actual fishing tournament) had its staff walk out on them because of something that I would assume is pretty serious. The statement talks about looking after the staff and mentions that there is an interim manager so I'm assuming the old one is gone. Mitchell is the president of this operation and a co owner with Hamhius but my guess is that Mitchell has more to do with this place than Hammy which is why his name keeps coming up. Nowhere is the word "sexual" uttered except by one of the musicians who heard it from... one of the other musicians so we could call it a rumour except what else could it be? Assault? Drug dealing? Nobody is saying and so far I can find no connection between the incident and Mitchell other than his position as owner. This news pains me as a big WM fan and his profile so far suggests that this is not the norm. Hopefully more news becomes available soon; if I were him I'd turn off my Instagram as well...

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Mitchell is a celebrity in Tofino. He essentially runs the resort part time. The allegations are about him directly. No official confirmation of charges so news outlets are weary of getting sued. He had an "interaction with a staff member" which led to the entire resort staff walking out.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Mitchell is a celebrity in Tofino. He essentially runs the resort part time. The allegations are about him directly. No official confirmation of charges so news outlets are weary of getting sued. He had an "interaction with a staff member" which led to the entire resort staff walking out.
Where did you read this?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Wow sifting through the various "news" sources it appears that this event (which looks to me to be more concert series/party than actual fishing tournament) had its staff walk out on them because of something that I would assume is pretty serious. The statement talks about looking after the staff and mentions that there is an interim manager so I'm assuming the old one is gone. Mitchell is the president of this operation and a co owner with Hamhius but my guess is that Mitchell has more to do with this place than Hammy which is why his name keeps coming up. Nowhere is the word "sexual" uttered except by one of the musicians who heard it from... one of the other musicians so we could call it a rumour except what else could it be? Assault? Drug dealing? Nobody is saying and so far I can find no connection between the incident and Mitchell other than his position as owner. This news pains me as a big WM fan and his profile so far suggests that this is not the norm. Hopefully more news becomes available soon; if I were him I'd turn off my Instagram as well...
At your average west coast fishing resort drug dealing on a personal scale, even (especially) coke, isn't going to cause a sudden panic and shutdown. And it doesn't sound like anyone was badly injured. It wasn't necessarily sexual assault, but there's not a lot of other plausible explanations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad