FORMER Canucks Part |||

Who's situation in leaving the Canucks (Ufa, trade) makes Benning look the most foolish?

• Total voters

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Worst defensemen I ever watched play for Vancouver. And that includes Gudbranson and Sbisa.
I have to dig back a while to come up with a worse regular or semi-regular. Back in the day we did employ some ankle skating face punchers on D... but at least they were usually good at face punching, which had value at the time.

My vote goes to the late Randy Boyd. At least Bartkowski could skate fast with the puck until he hit the opposing blue line. My recollections of Boyd were that something bad happened pretty much every time he was on the ice. He'd fall down at inopportune times. The puck would jump over his stick and allow the other team a breakaway. Without even being under pressure, he'd pass the puck to Luc Robitaille in the slot. He wasn't strong or fast or cagey or mean, he was just the epitome of the 1980's Canucks.
Maybe that makes Bartkowski the epitome of the Benning era Canucks.

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
LOL I have two memories of Dean Malkoc;

1) as a kid, I went to a hockey camp at 8 Rinks and there was hype that a Canucks player would come out, lead some drills and sign some autographs. Dean Malkoc was that guy.

2) at the 2019 draft in Vancouver, the Bruins absolutely threw him to the wolves as the “local boy to make our selection” to try and stem the massive tide of boo’s they got from the Canucks fans. It didn’t work. :laugh:
I thought that was Cam Neely

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Neely started it (still wasn’t getting any cheers), and then they brought out Vancouver boy Malkoc to make the pick.

I thought it was a veteran move by Neely to avoid the boo’s. :laugh:
I was personally glad they booed Neely. That bum never did nothing for the Canucks and Pederson was a point a game man for two seasons.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
MEANWHILE JOHN NAMESTNIKOV TOILS AWAY IN SYRACUSE

Aren't you the one who believes it's like a crime against humanity that Alex Burrows and Zack Kassian had careers?

Ha! Hardly but nice hyperbole there. I am happy for Zack; he appears to have turned a trainwreck life into a NHL career and he looks to be a useful player for the Oilers. Burr was a terrific hard working grinder who died and went to heaven when teamed up with the Sedins but he was also a complete douchebag as a player. Now he looks to have a career in coaching and I have no doubt he will excel at that too. I've never questioned his work ethic. Just his class.

Roussel was always the guy who, when the team was getting its collective asses handed to them would mix things up and try to start something, do anything just to get a rise out of the opposition and thus his teammates. He took on all comers. Sadly, as I said, he also had a bit of a target on his back and thus took zillions of bad penalties...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad