For the Philadelphia Flyers, K’Andre Miller is a worthy risk

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I just see too many forwards likely available around 19 to pick Miller. I'd rather have Smith at 14 and a forward at 19 than a forward at 14 and Miller at 19 (I'd also be happy with two forwards). Personally, I want guys who can potentially make an impact in the league in 3 years or less to supplement Giroux while he's still a key player. With this team, I doubt Miller is even sniffing the NHL in 3 years. Furthermore, with all the assets that this team has on the backend, I don't see any reason for them to swing for the fences on a risky defenseman like Miller in the 1st round.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The whole moving to D so late....don't like it. I certainly may be wrong about him but in our mock draft, I just had him on my do not draft list.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Doesn't specifically have to be Miller but I am surprised how many Flyers fans are steadfast on picking two forwards at 14 and 19. Obviously the Flyers have some good young defenseman but if you take a deeper look, adding an 18 year old stud D prospect makes a lot of sense.

Ghost - 25
Hagg - 23
Morin - 23 (July)
Sanheim - 22
Provorov - 21
Myers - 21

Hagg is just ok, Morin and Myers are totally unproven. Ghost will be 29 and on an expiring contract in four years. I am not saying it's a huge need and I don't like drafting for need too much either. That being said, it couldn't hurt to start to add some D prospects to the mix who could potentially make an impact in 3-4 years.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd consider a D at 19 depending on the players available. But it wouldn't be K'Andre Miller.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Doesn't specifically have to be Miller but I am surprised how many Flyers fans are steadfast on picking two forwards at 14 and 19. Obviously the Flyers have some good young defenseman but if you take a deeper look, adding an 18 year old stud D prospect makes a lot of sense.

Ghost - 25
Hagg - 23
Morin - 23 (July)
Sanheim - 22
Provorov - 21
Myers - 21

Hagg is just ok, Morin and Myers are totally unproven. Ghost will be 29 and on an expiring contract in four years. I am not saying it's a huge need and I don't like drafting for need too much either. That being said, it couldn't hurt to start to add some D prospects to the mix who could potentially make an impact in 3-4 years.
Mostly it's because the forwards around those picks seem to have more upside than the D. Then add in that admen are just as easy to find in later rounds than mid-late first whereas forwards tend not to.

I myself have said on paper, adding 1D and 1F with our 2 first rounders make sense but there was no Dman that I REALLY want at 19. But for sure, I expect 1 of our top 3 picks to be a Dman as well as a few more thru the draft. I expect we take 3 Dmen in June.

I will trust who we pick and hope it turns out to be the right guys.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Whether I agree with every conclusion or not (and I mostly have so far), I love having a new well-researched writer to read.

Do you have a public Twitter @Ted Brown?

Reactions: Ted Brown

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Am I "Ted Brown," and I don't even know it? Every prospect you've named is my opinion too. :laugh:

I agree that Miller is one of maybe 2 d-men I'd consider at 19. I have a whole thing with him, and I like him though I'm not sure his offensive IQ and certainly playmaking is as monstrous as his raw individual tools. I'd still prefer a certain Swedish forward and nothing will change my mind about that. But if we took Berggren at #14 depending, drafting Miller at #19 wouldn't be the worst thing. Though I have a couple other similarly ranked d-men that I think you can nab in the early-mid 20s where a trade down from #19 could still be appetizing. I don't have K'Andre on a different tier -- except tools wise -- where I wouldn't consider it. But he would be a fine pick in a vacuum.

"Ted Brown" is the hivemind gone sentient.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Mostly it's because the forwards around those picks seem to have more upside than the D. Then add in that admen are just as easy to find in later rounds than mid-late first whereas forwards tend not to.

I myself have said on paper, adding 1D and 1F with our 2 first rounders make sense but there was no Dman that I REALLY want at 19. But for sure, I expect 1 of our top 3 picks to be a Dman as well as a few more thru the draft. I expect we take 3 Dmen in June.

I will trust who we pick and hope it turns out to be the right guys.
I would strongly consider Ty Smith at 14 if he is still there. Most likely they can still choose between a number of high upside forwards with the likes of Kupari, Kravtsov, Kaut, Berggren, Lundestrom, etc likely to go in the 14-19 range.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would strongly consider Ty Smith at 14 if he is still there. Most likely they can still choose between a number of high upside forwards with the likes of Kupari, Kravtsov, Kaut, Berggren, Lundestrom, etc likely to go in the 14-19 range.
I have said that if one of the top 6 Dmen fell to us at 14, then it could change things for me taking one for the reasons you said. It's the next tier of Dmen that doesn't excite me.

Reactions: Rebels57

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I have said that if one of the top 6 Dmen fell to us at 14, then it could change things for me taking one for the reasons you said. It's the next tier of Dmen that doesn't excite me.
I agree, although if Wilde makes it to 19 I would be all over that. I'm not even sure he makes it to 14 though. Either way, the Millers, Samuelsson's, Merkleys, McIsaac's etc don't seem like great value at 19. For all we know though the Flyers might have one of those guys ranked much higher than most. The NHL draft is such a crap shoot and often teams rank players much differently.

Reactions: Tripod

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I just see too many forwards likely available around 19 to pick Miller. I'd rather have Smith at 14 and a forward at 19 than a forward at 14 and Miller at 19 (I'd also be happy with two forwards). Personally, I want guys who can potentially make an impact in the league in 3 years or less to supplement Giroux while he's still a key player. With this team, I doubt Miller is even sniffing the NHL in 3 years. Furthermore, with all the assets that this team has on the backend, I don't see any reason for them to swing for the fences on a risky defenseman like Miller in the 1st round.

How do we know that Sanheim or Myers don’t end up as busts? I hope Against hope that they both end up as highly impactful NHLers. It’s possible that they don’t too.

I’m all for BPA. They’re going to have to start drafting D high again due to their prospects graduating to the NHL. As long as they don’t draft Wilde I’m good. That kid has a head full of rocks

Reactions: pit

TB87

May 30, 2018

I’d be very happy with Smith at 14. He has a ton of potential. Kravtsov, Berggren, & Kaut are solid options at 19.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm still of the belief that much as I like K'Andre and would be fine with him at #19, depending on #14 too, I think he's on a similar tier enough with other d-men -- many underrated and likely to go later in the 1st-early 2nd -- where I'm honestly more willing to trade down to pick another defenseman than feel obligated to pick him at #19, while picking up more 2nd round ammo in the process. Maybe Miller even goes earlier than that; his tools really are that salivating. And his upside is a little bit each person sees something different. Who knows? I want to stress I have him ranked in the mid-late teens, so it's not a case of being low on him. And I really really do prefer 2 forwards, specifically wingers in what I see as a weak center draft.

Also, @Ted Brown, please stop by the prospects thread from time to time. I'd be curious of your opinion on other players too. and if you agree with me on literally every player

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
How do we know that Sanheim or Myers don’t end up as busts? I hope Against hope that they both end up as highly impactful NHLers. It’s possible that they don’t too.

I’m all for BPA. They’re going to have to start drafting D high again due to their prospects graduating to the NHL. As long as they don’t draft Wilde I’m good. That kid has a head full of rocks
Like I said, I would take Ty Smith in a heartbeat at 14, so I'm not averse to picking defensemen. He'll be in the NHL sooner than later and is a safe bet to be a top 4 guy, with potential to be a guy that can play on the top pairing. I just question the value of picking project defensemen in the first round, especially for a team that is quite hesitant in playing them significant minutes on their ELCs. Their forward peers are a much better value, as you can often get immediate returns if you actually give them the chance to make the line up. It wouldn't shock me to see a pick like Kaut, Berggren, Dellandrea, Hallander, or many of the other forwards in that range to be playing in 19/20. Miller? I'm thinking 21/22 is the earliest we'd see him full time on this team. Even then, he'd still be getting limited minutes while some of the forwards in that range will no doubt be top 6 contributors by then.

As for Sanheim and Myers, while they may not meet some of the lofty expectations by some here, I really don't have any doubts that both will be NHL regulars for a long time. If they both somehow bust, then we're in trouble and we'll need defensemen long before Miller is ready to make an impact anyways.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think the idea of taking the best player always appeals most to me because you never know what happens and the most valuable player tends to work out one way or another.

But with the timeline of this defense group, taking a longer term pick might make more sense actually. Especially one who can play 3 years in college without burning ELC years. It's also why a foreign player makes sense. Our farm team is clogged enough as is too. Miller also wouldn't need as much PP time as some. Opportunity cost could be a very real thing in developing some of these draft eligibles into this team's future makeup. By all means, BPA, but it's another thing worth pondering when things are close or talking about trade-ups or trade-downs or position, etc. And the Flyers are less likely to add another young defenseman to the NHL roster in the next couple years given how young the current group already will be. So, they'll probably let the player marinate anyway, not that they wouldn't have in the first place. But there's more incentive.

I have Smith above Miller, but I'm not sure Smith is any closer to NHL ready. He's got a lot of physical work left to do. Miller's rawness is a little exaggerated too. He already looks better than some of the less raw types; it's more rawness in fine-tuning and testing upside. His floor isn't all that raw. And that type of player can still develop long-term on an NHL roster in lower minutes. I'm not sure Smith fits in as well. I'd take him over Miller at #19 because I believe in his offense and skill and smarts more, but I'd rather several forwards still. But at #19, Smith might not be there. Or maybe size does drop him....

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Farabee or Kravstov at 14. Obviously if Smith falls then take him.

Berggren,Bokk or Noel at 19

If we go forward with both picks then look at a guy like Bernard-Docker or Woo in the 2nd round maybe

TB87

May 30, 2018
Farabee or Kravstov at 14. Obviously if Smith falls then take him.

Berggren,Bokk or Noel at 19

If we go forward with both picks then look at a guy like Bernard-Docker or Woo in the 2nd round maybe

I’d be content with Bernard-Docker in the 2nd if we go with two FWDS in the first. Bernard-Docker is a solid all-around defenseman.

Reactions: pmwlker

TB87

May 30, 2018
I'm still of the belief that much as I like K'Andre and would be fine with him at #19, depending on #14 too, I think he's on a similar tier enough with other d-men -- many underrated and likely to go later in the 1st-early 2nd -- where I'm honestly more willing to trade down to pick another defenseman than feel obligated to pick him at #19, while picking up more 2nd round ammo in the process. Maybe Miller even goes earlier than that; his tools really are that salivating. And his upside is a little bit each person sees something different. Who knows? I want to stress I have him ranked in the mid-late teens, so it's not a case of being low on him. And I really really do prefer 2 forwards, specifically wingers in what I see as a weak center draft.

Also, @Ted Brown, please stop by the prospects thread from time to time. I'd be curious of your opinion on other players too. and if you agree with me on literally every player

I’ll definitely check out the prospect threads for sure!

TB87

May 30, 2018
What are your guys thoughts on RHD Nils Lundkvist? Not necessarily your thoughts pertaining to the Flyers drafting him, just your analysis of his game. He’s one of my favorite in this draft class. He meets the 51% rule that’s highlighted in this article.

Which Swedes fit the 51% rule at the 2017 NHL Entry Draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad