For the Philadelphia Flyers, K’Andre Miller is a worthy risk

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What are your guys thoughts on RHD Nils Lundkvist? Not necessarily your thoughts pertaining to the Flyers drafting him, just your analysis of his game. He’s one of my favorite in this draft class. He meets the 51% rule that’s highlighted in this article.

Which Swedes fit the 51% rule at the 2017 NHL Entry Draft?

Hard to know. I have him in that tier that hovers between early 2nd round and late 1st. He seems to be an intelligent player with above average skill. And he's young for the draft class, so already getting significant SHL time is a positive sign.

But his stats are good, not great, for a rather small defenseman, so I'm conflicted on his NHL ceiling. I think he'll be an NHLer, though.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Hard to know. I have him in that tier that hovers between early 2nd round and late 1st. He seems to be an intelligent player with above average skill. And he's young for the draft class, so already getting significant SHL time is a positive sign.

But his stats are good, not great, for a rather small defenseman, so I'm conflicted on his NHL ceiling. I think he'll be an NHLer, though.

Fair enough. Lundkvist nearly put up the same amount of points as Brannstrom did during his draft year in the SHL. Don’t know if his offense will ever be great. However, he can transition the puck as well as some of the best defenseman in this draft. There’s a lot of value in that.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Fair enough. Lundkvist nearly put up the same amount of points as Brannstrom did during his draft year in the SHL. Don’t know if his offense will ever be great. However, he can transition the puck as well as some of the best defenseman in this draft. There’s a lot of value in that.
True re: draft-year SHL numbers, and I'm a big Brannstrom fan, but their Swedish junior stats (and international experience/stats) aren't even close. Brannstrom blows Lundkvist away. Not to mention my so-called "eye test" sees Brannstrom as having higher end talent and upside.

TB87

May 30, 2018
True re: draft-year SHL numbers, and I'm a big Brannstrom fan, but their Swedish junior stats (and international experience/stats) aren't even close. Brannstrom blows Lundkvist away. Not to mention my so-called "eye test" sees Brannstrom as having higher end talent and upside.

Haha! So called eye-test! Brannstrom seems like he has more talent. The more I read about and watch of Lundkvist, the more I like his game. If you can get the puck out and have solid positioning, an active stick, play recognition, and have good gap control...I want that defenseman on my team. Lundkvist has shown quite a bit of that thus far. He’s young too so he “should” get even better.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What are your guys thoughts on RHD Nils Lundkvist? Not necessarily your thoughts pertaining to the Flyers drafting him, just your analysis of his game. He’s one of my favorite in this draft class. He meets the 51% rule that’s highlighted in this article.

I studied Lundkvist very closely all u18s, since I knew Hockey Prospect was hyped on him and my viewings were *ahem* nil. This is my write-up of Nils.

NILS LUNDKVIST (RD)
Two noticeable things at first glance to me concerning Lundkvist are that he he’s not a big player, and relating to that, for a sub 6 ft defenseman his skating power is a little on the average side, specifically in his separation ability off his first strides. While I know some scouts regard his skating more highly than me, and his form is clean and in full stride he can get going through the NZ, his acceleration could improve. But he works around it, and assuredly much of it will come down to bulking up. I don't view it as something that can't be improved; after all, he's one of the younger players in his draft class.

My impression at the u18 tournament was that Lundkvist plays a very clean 3-zone game in position and decision-making. His hockey sense is standout excellent; he rarely leaves himself exposed out there with or without the puck. He’s efficient, with quality d-zone instincts and good compete, with his body or his stick, in the trenches for a smaller player. His defensive game, ES and PK, is a real strength, and that tended to be more his role for Team Sweden.

He might lack for great offensive upside, but he can handle himself and will rather frequently trail rushes, even lead the odd one. His transition ability as a passer (or even in the cycle game) is a noticeable plus too. He’s more of the smart, efficiency, quick-reads mold. But I did see Lundkvist flash more at the u18s, especially after Boqvist got injured over the final 2 games and a need arose. He does possess smooth skills with the puck and makes good offensive decisions where it might be a bigger strength than he always let on. At worst, it's an above-average component of his game. Even some creativity (though they didn't lead to goals) showed more as the tournament progressed into the later stages. When he received PP time, I actually was impressed at his ability to QB a unit and whip pucks around quickly. Sometimes, despite both being righties, he and Boqvist would play on the PP together. Lundkvist didn't just blend in either. I read a comment by Hockey Prospect that mentioned mixing up Boqvist and Lundkvist at times, and while that's pretty harmless and normal for two similarly sized right handed defensemen, there were several times I had to catch myself mistaking #7 (Lundkvist) for #3 (Boqvist) in making plays with the puck. He's not close to Boqvist in raw talent, make no mistake. But that he's a high floor, smaller 2-way defenseman with perhaps some hidden potential is a thought I have.

I had Brannstrom at 13 or 14 last year, so I was a super fan. I think his dynamic qualities and pure offensive abilities always popped more, while being similarly sized and a better skater and a respectable, hard nosed defender too. I think he's closer to Boqvist in pure talent than Lundkvist. I have Lundkvist in the low-20s.

In my other post I mentioned trading down from #19 for lesser hyped, similarly ranked d-men (my ranks anyway) to Miller, and Lundkvist was one of the names. Along with Sandin; I'm partial to Tychonick; Bernard-Docker could be a riser and grouped there too, but having never seen him I can't give my personal thoughts. I'm also absurdly high on Danila Zhuravlyov and have watched him quite a bit in the MHL; he's one of my big steals of the draft and a 1st round talent to me (he who won't go there; I'd happily take him at #50 though and think I got a 1st rounder). Spencer Stastney is a super low hyped mid-rounder who I don't have far behind either, though he's not really in discussion here. But my point being that I like the value of a defenseman in a trade-down from #19.

I’ll definitely check out the prospect threads for sure!

I meant to say draft thread, but there's no law against checking out different threads lol.

Last edited:

TB87

May 30, 2018
I studied Lundkvist very closely all u18s, since I knew Hockey Prospect was hyped on him and my viewings were *ahem* nil. This is my write-up of Nils.

I had Brannstrom at 13 or 14 last year, so I was a super fan. I think his dynamic qualities and pure offensive abilities always popped more, while being similarly sized and a better skater and a respectable, hard nosed defender too. I think he's closer to Boqvist in pure talent than Lundkvist. I have Lundkvist in the low-20s.

In my other post I mentioned trading down from #19 for lesser hyped, similarly ranked d-men (my ranks anyway) to Miller, and Lundkvist was one of the names. Along with Sandin; I'm partial to Tychonick; Bernard-Docker could be a riser and grouped there too, but having never seen him I can't give my personal thoughts. I'm also absurdly high on Danila Zhuravlyov and have watched him quite a bit in the MHL; he's one of my big steals of the draft and a 1st round talent to me (he who won't go there; I'd happily take him at #50 though and think I got a 1st rounder). Spencer Stastney is a super low hyped mid-rounder who I don't have far behind either, though he's not really in discussion here. But my point being that I like the value of a defenseman in a trade-down from #19.

I meant to say draft thread, but there's no law against checking out different threads lol.

Very solid insight into Lundkvist’s game. Well done!

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
K'Andre Miller? He's 6'3'' 198 lbs. Pretty stock actually compared to a lot of defenseman at the same age.

just going by the pic in that link..he looks tall and lanky..not bad..definite filling out to do..just looks string beany

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
he looks like a sting bean

KOeYbBC.jpg

TB87

May 30, 2018
just going by the pic in that link..he looks tall and lanky..not bad..definite filling out to do..just looks string beany

Watch him play. He plays a very hard game. The last thing that he is is a string bean

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I admit, He falls into that group of guys who I have not bothered looking at. He did not seem to be worthy to be on the radar at #19 and gone before #50. So to save on time, I skipped him.

That same flawed strategy led me to know little about Frost when he traded Schenn for the pics and picked him.

Maybe I need to adjust this strategy....

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
From what ive seen, i haven't liked any part of his game, his shot isnt that good, his skating looks rough, hes not very physical for someone of his size, his defense looks below average, and he seems lost when he doesnt have the puck, but then again i am no scout, i just personally havent seen anything that good about his game, nothing really stands out except for the fact that hes 6'5

Reactions: Ted Brown and wasup

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I get too much of a Chris Stewart vibe from Noel. Maybe even a bit of Hugh Jessiman. Big, strong athlete. You drool at the idea of “if he puts it all together,” like what caused Morin to get overdrafted.

But those guys rarely do. I like hockey players who have a feel for the game, read the ice well, & compete with high, consistent effort. Not just raw athletes.

I probably wouldn’t blame a team too much for taking a shot at Noel in the very late 1st/early 2nd (depending on who is out there), but he wouldn’t be my choice at 14 or 19.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
I get too much of a Chris Stewart vibe from Noel. Maybe even a bit of Hugh Jessiman. Big, strong athlete. You drool at the idea of “if he puts it all together,” like what caused Morin to get overdrafted.

But those guys rarely do. I like hockey players who have a feel for the game, read the ice well, & compete with high, consistent effort. Not just raw athletes.

I probably wouldn’t blame a team too much for taking a shot at Noel in the very late 1st/early 2nd (depending on who is out there), but he wouldn’t be my choice at 14 or 19.
Thats exactly what i said the last time i watched him play! Lol i said he reminded me so much of hugh jessiman

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad