For the Philadelphia Flyers, K’Andre Miller is a worthy risk

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We don't need anything really - our pool is that deep.

I want whatever player is best available. Can figure out the rest later with needs as they develop.

It's not deep in highly-skilled wingers with top 6 potential.

It's Ratcliffe and Allison and that's it, and neither of them are can't-miss top 6 forward prospects.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
We don't need anything really - our pool is that deep.

I want whatever player is best available. Can figure out the rest later with needs as they develop.
Least of all we need another LHD and obviously Miller is not a BPA at 19th OA. Also I don't see enough of goal-scoring talent in our pipeline.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

It's Ratcliffe and Allison and that's it, and neither of them are can't-miss top 6 forward prospects.

I'd say it'd be nice to add some, but I'm not willing (personally) to deviate from BPA in the 1st round just to fill a perceived hole.

Now, I say perceived hole instead of actual hole in the pool because I think it can be easily fixed other ways (in other rounds even), other drafts, etc.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd say it'd be nice to add some, but I'm not willing (personally) to deviate from BPA in the 1st round just to fill a perceived hole.

Now, I say perceived hole instead of actual hole in the pool because I think it can be easily fixed other ways (in other rounds even), other drafts, etc.

I'm on board for BPA as well.

Don't think Miller will be BPA at either of our picks though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I tend to agree with this. I'm up in the air with who we get, but if we stand pat, I would reallyyyyy like Joe Veleno at 14.

Would not be thrilled with Veleno at 14. Would be surprised if the Isles don't pick him with back-to-back picks and needing to build up Center depth.

Reactions: The Madrigal

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Even the scouts have him pegged between 25-31 at best. I think they're drastically underselling him still. As great as those goals were, he's an even better passer and PP QB. I'll proudly appear stupid saying his game reminds me of some Giroux-Gaudreau hybrid with his puck skills, ability to avoid contact, ability to TAKE contact, and positional soundness. Not going to set that as a realistic expectation ofc, but I do think he has star potential like few non-top 10 picks.

I've literally never seen him have a game in which he wasn't having a dominant impact and forced me to glue my eyes to him.

If you want to see him in-game and not just the highlights, #17 Sweden:

Thanks for this Magua! It just so happens that he will be the focus of my article of Last Word on Hockey this week!

Reactions: Magua

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

Agreed. If they were to add Farabee and Kaut and then a defenseman in the second round their prospect pool would be about as loaded as anyone's in the league. That is one thing I will give Hextall credit for, he has built up a great pool of prospects. Time to move to phase two of the rebuild though and for the love of god identify and bring in a good coaching staff.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Yeah I'm not sure what to believe and what not to believe but I read somewhere recently that a lot of teams have a second round grade on him.

Veleno’s a faster version of Rubtsov with a much, much worse shot.

Reactions: Rebels57

TB87

May 30, 2018
Hm. I don't see a comparison between the two at all.

Both are defensively responsible forwards who most likely have a 3rd line ceiling. Don’t see much offense coming from either of them at the NHL level.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Both are defensively responsible forwards who most likely have a 3rd line ceiling. Don’t see much offense coming from either of them at the NHL level.
Interesting. I see higher-end offensive skill and upside in Veleno than in Rubtsov. I think Veleno's style tilts more offensively than Rubtsov's, even using Rubtsov's draft year as the point of comparison. I feel pretty strongly that Veleno has top 2-line potential. I will grant you that I've seen Veleno look bad, and initially wasn't a big fan, but now that I've watched him more I've completely changed my mind. I think he could be a mid-first steal.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Interesting. I see higher-end offensive skill and upside in Veleno than in Rubtsov. I think Veleno's style tilts more offensively than Rubtsov's, even using Rubtsov's draft year as the point of comparison. I feel pretty strongly that Veleno has top 2-line potential. I will grant you that I've seen Veleno look bad, and initially wasn't a big fan, but now that I've watched him more I've completely changed my mind. I think he could be a mid-first steal.

Well, if the Flyers end up drafting him I'll have my fingers crossed that you're right about him!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad