For the Philadelphia Flyers, K’Andre Miller is a worthy risk

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How many really big defensemen actually turn out good ? Loads of them turn out to be pylons and are selected way too early due to their size.

He’s 6’4”. That’s not really that unusually big for a defensemen. He’s a pretty good skater & athlete. He just converted to defensemen from forward two years ago.

Reactions: Ted Brown

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Who would be your ideal picks at 14 and 19? Sandin has skating issues and Samuelsson has pretty substantial discipline issues. Out of those two, I'd take Sandin because he's extremely smart and is very solid in the transition game.

I'm still evaluating, but right now I'm leaning toward Kravtsov / Veleno / Farabee at 14 (I've really come around on Veleno). That's assuming, of course, someone like Boqvist / Kotkaniemi / Hughes, etc. doesn't unexpectedly fall to 14.

At 19, I lean Berggren, but have Hallander right up there and wouldn't be upset with Kaut.

Denisenko and Kupari look great in highlights, but their relatively low production levels scare me away. I'm also very leery of Noel in the first round, as he reminds me too much of a Sam Morin at forward. Raw athletic ability, but does he have a feel for the game? I do not like Bode Wilde; I think he plays with tunnel vision, which is a bad trait for a defenseman. Hayton is ok, but he wouldn't be my first choice at 14, and he's not going to make it to 19. I've cooled on Akil Thomas; he isn't in my top tier for 19.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He’s 6’4”. That’s not really that unusually big for a defensemen. He’s a pretty good skater & athlete. He just converted to defensemen from forward two years ago.

Not trying to split hairs but this says he's 6'5" and 207 lbs on : K'Andre Miller

I don't really watch prospects so I tend to mostly just stay out of the conversation but a quick google brought up this link : 2018 NHL Entry Draft Prospect Profile: K’Andre Miller

so I sorta figure some people are going to be clamoring about his size. Just seems too many NHL GMs / scouts see a bigger player and their eyes just light up.

Last edited:

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I'm still evaluating, but right now I'm leaning toward Kravtsov / Veleno / Farabee at 14 (I've really come around on Veleno). That's assuming, of course, someone like Boqvist / Kotkaniemi / Hughes, etc. doesn't unexpectedly fall to 14.

At 19, I lean Berggren, but have Hallander right up there and wouldn't be upset with Kaut.

Denisenko and Kupari look great in highlights, but their relatively low production levels scare me away. I'm also very leery of Noel in the first round, as he reminds me too much of a Sam Morin at forward. Raw athletic ability, but does he have a feel for the game? I do not like Bode Wilde; I think he plays with tunnel vision, which is a bad trait for a defenseman. Hayton is ok, but he wouldn't be my first choice at 14, and he's not going to make it to 19. I've cooled on Akil Thomas; he isn't in my top tier for 19.

I'm good with either Kravtsov or Farabee at 14. Berggren is my top choice for 19. He just oozes skill. Watching games/highlights of him and he is nearly automatic when attempting clean zone entries. Possesses excellent vision and is very creative offensively. His 1-on-1 skills are very impressive. I don't understand the love for Wilde either. He's a player full of tools but with no toolbox. Kupari's feet appear to outpace his head. Denisenko's lack of consistency was a bit odd this season. Noel would be an interesting 2nd round pick maybe.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Not trying to split hairs but he says he's 6'5" and 207 lbs on : K'Andre Miller

I don't really watch prospects so I tend to mostly just stay out of the conversation but a quick google brought up this link : 2018 NHL Entry Draft Prospect Profile: K’Andre Miller

so I sorta figure some people are going to be clamoring about his size. Just seems too many NHL GMs / scouts see a bigger player and their eyes just light up.

He was measured as 6'3" 198 lbs at the draft combine

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm good with either Kravtsov or Farabee at 14. Berggren is my top choice for 19. He just oozes skill. Watching games/highlights of him and he is nearly automatic when attempting clean zone entries. Possesses excellent vision and is very creative offensively. His 1-on-1 skills are very impressive. I don't understand the love for Wilde either. He's a player full of tools but with no toolbox. Kupari's feet appear to outpace his head. Denisenko's lack of consistency was a bit odd this season. Noel would be an interesting 2nd round pick maybe.

Yes, if they could get Kravtsov, Veleno (whom I've become higher on of late than most here, it seems) or Farabee at 14, and Berggren at 19, it would be a fantastic draft. However, if they end up with Farabee at 14, I find it unlikely they would take Berggren at 19, as they'd be drafting two small wingers and they already have Konecny. I have a feeling they won't take two small players in the first round.

I think Kravtsov, Veleno, and Berggren each have higher offensive upside in the NHL than Farabee, whom I see as more of a TJ Oshie type: very smart and hard working, but more of a 50-ish point producer.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Am I "Ted Brown," and I don't even know it? Every prospect you've named is my opinion too. :laugh:

I agree that Miller is one of maybe 2 d-men I'd consider at 19. I have a whole thing with him, and I like him though I'm not sure his offensive IQ and certainly playmaking is as monstrous as his raw individual tools. I'd still prefer a certain Swedish forward and nothing will change my mind about that. But if we took Berggren at #14 depending, drafting Miller at #19 wouldn't be the worst thing. Though I have a couple other similarly ranked d-men that I think you can nab in the early-mid 20s where a trade down from #19 could still be appetizing. I don't have K'Andre on a different tier -- except tools wise -- where I wouldn't consider it. But he would be a fine pick in a vacuum.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Am I "Ted Brown," and I don't even know it? Every prospect you've named is my opinion too. :laugh:

I agree that Miller is one of maybe 2 d-men I'd consider at 19. I have a whole thing with him, and I like him though I'm not sure his offensive IQ and certainly playmaking is as monstrous as his raw individual tools. I'd still prefer a certain Swedish forward and nothing will change my mind about that. But if we took Berggren at #14 depending, drafting Miller at #19 wouldn't be the worst thing. Though I have a couple other similarly ranked d-men that I think you can nab in the early-mid 20s where a trade down from #19 could still be appetizing. I don't have K'Andre on a different tier -- except tools wise -- where I wouldn't consider it. But he would be a fine pick in a vacuum.

Is @Ted Brown your burner account? :sarcasm:

TB87

May 30, 2018

This is my burner account everyone!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
mrw-i-see-the-epidural-go-in-my-wife-during-labor-19621.gif

This is my burner account everyone!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think there's better guys at 19. I won't be mad (depending of course on who is still available at that time as an option) but I won't be as thrilled as I would be if we got him in the 2nd. Maybe they trade back to the mid 20s, grab Miller and pick up a 2nd and maybe something else as well?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think there's better guys at 19. I won't be mad (depending of course on who is still available at that time as an option) but I won't be as thrilled as I would be if we got him in the 2nd. Maybe they trade back to the mid 20s, grab Miller and pick up a 2nd and maybe something else as well?
No chance Miller is available in the second. A guy with his upside likely won't make it past 25.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yup but you never said that..you just ignored his question. Nothing wrong at all with changing your mind.
Based on his hostile tone I didn't think telling him I changed my mind was going to be an answer that would result in a civil conversation. I always do my best to avoid confrontation and discontent here so I thought it best to take the high road to keep the peace. Thanks for your concern though.

Reactions: wasup

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Based on his hostile tone I didn't think telling him I changed my mind was going to be an answer that would result in a civil conversation. I always do my best to avoid confrontation and discontent here so I thought it best to take the high road to keep the peace. Thanks for your concern though.

I can rest easy now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad