FOOTBALL! Pro/College/etc. Still undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Mahomes is going to be some Brady level shit for Tomlin I suspect.

Reid is the best offensive mind in football and Mahomes is a freak.

Just gotta hope Roth’s old ass can keep up, because he’s basically their only hope of beating KC.

Tomlin will just be a hindrance, but hopefully I’ll get to eat my words.
Getting a little ahead or ourselves here. There is a very real possibility that this team doesn’t even make it to playing the Chiefs and instead lose to a team like the Colts or Raiders...

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
For the record, Chiefs' schedule is almost as easy as the Steelers. They're 3-1 vs teams over .500 while the Steelers are 3-0.
Chiefs have a very beatable D.
I hope we get to play them....as long as it's in Heinz Field.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Mahomes is going to be some Brady level shit for Tomlin I suspect.

Reid is the best offensive mind in football and Mahomes is a freak.

Just gotta hope Roth’s old ass can keep up, because he’s basically their only hope of beating KC.

Tomlin will just be a hindrance, but hopefully I’ll get to eat my words.

Praying to whatever god was listening to hit Mahomes with a lightning bolt?
Mahomes is like Ken Griffey of Football. Has all the athletic tools, a high football IQ, and ice water veins. Cheifs terrify me, but if the Steelers are gonna win the SB they are probably gonna have to beat a damn good KC team

Reactions: ColePens

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Getting a little ahead or ourselves here. There is a very real possibility that this team doesn’t even make it to playing the Chiefs and instead lose to a team like the Colts or Raiders...

I think I’ve been pretty clear about the high possibility of them losing in the first round given Tomlin’s history.

However, if the Steelers want to get to the SB, I’m 99% sure they need to get through the Chiefs.

Mahomes is like Ken Griffey of Football. Has all the athletic tools, a high football IQ, and ice water veins. Cheifs terrify me, but if the Steelers are gonna win the SB they are probably gonna have to beat a damn good KC team

He’s the once in a generation freak all the dummies think LJ is.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The defense would be fine against the Chiefs. It’s a rare secondary for the Steelers, running 4 deep at CB with an All-Pro ballhawk FS. Their biggest challenge would be Kelce.

I’d be far more concerned about the offense. It simply has no rhythm, just a series of clunky plays from disjointed play calling and generally poor design. And questionable personnel decisions on top of it. The only reason it functions half the time is Ben pulling a rabbit out of his hat or the talent at WR making a 1v1 play. Nothing we do is going to be something Reid wouldn’t expect.

Reactions: Selfish Man

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Reid is no Belichick (then again - who is?) and the Chiefs’ D is very suspect. Plus their remaining schedule includes road games with the Bucs, Saints and Dolphins... but freaking Mahomes.

Pats just lost to horrible Texans team. After ramming it down Texans throat the first drive, Pats inexplicably went away from the run and ended up losing. Not BB’s best effort.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
That sucks the raiders blew it last night. You have to figure the Chiefs will pass the Steelers for the bye eventually

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I kept expecting the Jags to mount some sort of drive yesterday that would make the game close, but it never materialized.

That's a credit to how good this Steelers defense actually is.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Reminds me of guys like Tom Brady and Sidney Crosby when it comes to winning. Like there is almost an unhealthy passion with winning but from a sporting perspective, you just never want to see them on the opposite side of the field/ice.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I kept expecting the Jags to mount some sort of drive yesterday that would make the game close, but it never materialized.

That's a credit to how good this Steelers defense actually is.

or maybe how bad Luton is/was? Lol

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Eh I mean they only lost by a combined 6 points the last two games and Luton looked decent in those. One of which was against GB. People here really just don’t give our team any credit, haha. It’s sad because we could be re-living last year over again, but we aren’t. I’ve complained more than my share the last few years, but am actually paying attention and this years team isn’t like those ones. It’s f***ing obvious.

After one drive yesterday people were complaining about this game looking like a loss. Really?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Eh I mean they only lost by a combined 6 points the last two games and Luton looked decent in those. One of which was against GB. People here really just don’t give our team any credit, haha. It’s sad because we could be re-living last year over again, but we aren’t. I’ve complained more than my share the last few years, but am actually paying attention and this years team isn’t like those ones. It’s f***ing obvious.

After one drive yesterday people were complaining about this game looking like a loss. Really?

Greatest start in franchise history and people around here act like we’re gonna limp into the playoffs

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Greatest start in franchise history and people around here act like we’re gonna limp into the playoffs
tenor.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

This says more about how little I've paid attention to football (both college and non-Steelers professional) than anything, but I swear I haven't seen Luton's name since he was a freshman at Idaho.

Can't say I figured he'd ever start a game in the NFL, though his stat line yesterday is about in line with what I would have expected.

Mind you I couldn't watch yesterday's game and the RedZone Channel had little interest in showing anything more than interception highlights from it.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Yea its embarassing the amount of hate the Steelers get by a few "fans" on here. They think that every win is by sheer luck. The D stops the other team by accident. Spillane and Watt trip and fall and accidentally tackle the opponent.

As great as KC is, they have some glaring weaknesses on defense and their schedule is arguably just as easy as the Steelers. And Reid isn't some genius. He is and always was a good coach, on the level of Tomlin, Payton, and Harbaugh. Reid is no BB, he's got lucky that Mahomes and Bienemy fell onto his lap.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Let's compare the Steelers to the Chiefs, shall we?

KC has the best offense in the NFL at 32 points/game. Steelers are 4th at 29.8. The Chiefs score a whopping 2 more pts/game than us.
Steelers have the best scoring D in the NFL at 17.4 pt/g. Chiefs are 7th at 21.4. Difference of 4 pt/g.
KC has played 4 teams with a winning record, going 3-1. Steelers have played 3 teams with a winning record, going 3-0. Both teams have played arguably the easiest schedule in the NFL.

Chiefs can be argued to be the best team in the NFL. But the Steelers are right up there with them in every way.

Reactions: Gold Diamond

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yea its embarassing the amount of hate the Steelers get by a few "fans" on here. They think that every win is by sheer luck. The D stops the other team by accident. Spillane and Watt trip and fall and accidentally tackle the opponent.

As great as KC is, they have some glaring weaknesses on defense and their schedule is arguably just as easy as the Steelers. And Reid isn't some genius. He is and always was a good coach, on the level of Tomlin, Payton, and Harbaugh. Reid is no BB, he's got lucky that Mahomes and Bienemy fell onto his lap.

We can say the same thing about Tomlin having Roth fall into his lap for his entire career.

Reid has had the rep of an offensive genius that couldn’t get over the SB hump for years.

Now he has broken through that roadblock in his career.

It’s also really disingenuous to say Mahomes fell into his lap, when Reid is the one who orchestrated the bold move to jump up in the draft and grab him.

Reid is a much better Xs and Os guy than Tomlin, and now he’s a defending SB champion.

Tomlin is a guy more than ten years removed from a SB championship and has zero playoff wins in the last three seasons... as well as a losing playoff record and only three playoff wins since his last SB appearance a decade ago.

There is a well earned reason he’s doubted by many of us.

His playoff reputation is dubious at best.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
And Reid isn't some genius. He is and always was a good coach, on the level of Tomlin, Payton, and Harbaugh. Reid is no BB, he's got lucky that Mahomes and Bienemy fell onto his lap.

Kind of like how the Steelers job just fell onto Tomlins lap, right? :laugh:

Reid at least schemes and puts game plans together (it's actually pretty standard for a coach).

Tomlins scheme is Beat your man. Defend every blade of grass.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah Tomlin proves that 90% of winning in the NFL comes down to talent. It’s that 10% of coaching that separates the great from the very good and the Steelers have lacked that since LeBeau and Arians basically ran the team

Reactions: Pengwins and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah Tomlin proves that 90% of winning in the NFL comes down to talent. It’s that 10% of coaching that separates the great from the very good and the Steelers have lacked that since LeBeau and Arians basically ran the team

I don’t know if I’d put Arians in there, but the point is well taken...

Reactions: Selfish Man

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Football is 50% talent 50% coaching. Replace Tomlin with Patricia and they may not even be a playoff team.
Coaches have to develop talent. Its not a coincidence Browns ends up with busts every draft and the Steelers end up with pro bowlers.
Ben and the offense are far better right now than any season under Arians.
While Butler is not a HoFer like Lebeau, he's had the best defense for the past 2 seasons. He's one of the best DC's in the NFL right now.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I think what it comes down to is 2 things

1) Tomlin is a victim of his own success. He's had tons of regular season success and people expect the same type of success in the playoffs. Which is understandable. However, they try to downplay his success and accomplishments because they don't dominate their opponents. No NFL team dominates their opponents, however, the Steelers have the best point differential in the NFL so they are currently the closest thing to a "dominant" team in the league.
2) People don't want to give Tomlin credit when things go well, but are quick to bash him when things are going bad. He's not a passenger or an intern, he's the head coach. In fact, if he keeps going at this rate, he may end up in the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Kind of like how the Steelers job just fell onto Tomlins lap, right? :laugh:

Reid at least schemes and puts game plans together (it's actually pretty standard for a coach).

Tomlins scheme is Beat your man. Defend every blade of grass.
Tomlin has a better career win % and a better head to head record against Reid. And it didn't take Tomlin 25 years to win a SB.

If its so easy for you to take credit away from Tomlin, why aren't you taking credit away from Reid? Afterall, Bienemy is the best OC in the NFL and Mahomes is arguably the best QB in history. Maybe these 2 are dragging the chiefs to their victories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad