FOOTBALL! Pro/College/etc. Still undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Tomlin stuff is all pretty simple...

He needs to start winning in the playoffs to be considered a great coach.

It’s not much different than a QB like Rivers who puts up big regular season stats, then can’t get it done in the playoffs.

At what point will people run out of excuses for him if he can’t finish it off again this season?

Stop spitting out cliches and win when it matters.

If you can’t do that more than 3 times in the last ten years with all the talent you have had around you... you aren’t a great coach... just a guy lucky enough to have the most patient owners in all of NA sports.

Tomlin needs to prove this season he can finish things off, and anything but a loss to the Chiefs is basically unacceptable.

Tossing the word “great” around with Tomlin is absurd until he finally proves he can do it.

Enough is enough with him and all the big talk. Words mean shit... finding your way over your abysmal playoff career the last decade is the reality he needs to deal with.

He can’t keep trying to talk his way out of his playoff failures anymore.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Didn't the stat indicate that the Steelers were the only home playoff team in NFL history to score over 40 points and still lose.

Shazier or not that was a bad display.

Definitely a bad display, but looking back at some of the players starting that game on defense is crazy. Sean Spence, Mike Mitchell, Artie Burns, Sean Davis, and Dupree before he put it together. It’s kind of crazy how much that Shazier masked.

The Tomlin argument just happens every week and yeah he has a lot of flaws and yeah I can definitely understand why people want to move on. But so many times I see people call him out for being a bad coach and then give praise to Harbaugh or Reid or Payton. That’s just crazy to me.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Tomlin walked into a franchise with a franchise QB and defence.

Belichek is a perfect example of what not having a stud at QB does for you.

And Tomlin isn't in the same galaxy as Belichek.

Tomlin will fade the moment Ben hangs them up.

He's a good coach who inherited the most stable NFL franchise, a HOF QB, who btw led one of the all time greatest drives in NFL history to help get Tomlin his ring.

Generational coach? That is ludicrous.

He literally coached a third and fourth string QB last year and nearly made the playoffs. Any reasonable talent at QB and he coaches them in to the post season last year. This is delusional.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't imagine a hockey team missing the playoffs 4 times in the last 9 seasons, and only a few playoff round wins with all the talent the Steelers have had, and the coach keeping his job throughout it.

Would be like if we had never fired Bylsma.

But that's the Rooneys.

And if Tomlin goes 16-0 and gets bounced in their first game... He should be fired. Idgaf about the regular season. Win when it matters - but we haven't been able to for a decade.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
He literally coached a third and fourth string QB last year and nearly made the playoffs. Any reasonable talent at QB and he coaches them in to the post season last year. This is delusional.

He's missed the playoffs with a healthy Ben...so...

Coaching below mediocre QBs to mediocre records just isn't sustainable, no matter how good you think he really is.

Ben is going to retire soon and you will see that.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
He beats RG3 and the Raven's practice squad and he's in the playoffs last year...

But he couldn't do it with the #1 defense.

And part of the problem last year was Tomlin sticking with Duck and Rudolph. Pretty sure a lot of back up QBs could have been traded for. It's not like Ben was hurt in the 10th week. They had time to properly evaluate what they had in Duck and Rudolph, and they were wrong. That's 100% on them.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And how many times has Tomlin admitted to not knowing a specific rule?

Credit due for admitting as much openly, but that is simply a lack of preparation.

The reality is he's a legendary game winning drive failing from not having a title to his name.

And over the last decade he has 3 playoff wins. Couldn't beat NE. Lost to inferior teams, multiple times.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pengwins

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
One thing I'll say in Tomlin's defense is that I've never bought the "he's underachieved with loaded teams" argument.

During the Ben/Bell/Brown triplets years the defense was mediocre at best and poor in the secondary which is the most important part of the D in today's NFL. They were always, always vulnerable to good quarterback play. Shazier carried them in 2017 until he got hurt and the D promptly imploded. It wasn't until they threw so much money and first rounders at the secondary...plus TJ Watt elevated to a DPOY contender...that the defense went to "very good" again.

Offensively, Ben is very very good but he was not on the level of peak Brady, peak Manning, Rodgers or Brees. Aside from 2014 which was his best year. He's a surefire Hall of Famer but not at that level.
I don't say that to pick on Ben; only to say that I don't consider any team that has such a persistent weakness in pass defense to be loaded and he's not so good to where I think it cancels it out.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
One thing I'll say in Tomlin's defense is that I've never bought the "he's underachieved with loaded teams" argument.

During the Ben/Bell/Brown triplets years the defense was mediocre at best and poor in the secondary which is the most important part of the D in today's NFL. They were always, always vulnerable to good quarterback play. Shazier carried them in 2017 until he got hurt and the D promptly imploded. It wasn't until they threw so much money and first rounders at the secondary...plus TJ Watt elevated to a DPOY contender...that the defense went to "very good" again.

Offensively, Ben is very very good but he was not on the level of peak Brady, peak Manning, Rodgers or Brees. Aside from 2014 which was his best year. He's a surefire Hall of Famer but not at that level.
I don't say that to pick on Ben; only to say that I don't consider any team that has such a persistent weakness in pass defense to be loaded and he's not so good to where I think it cancels it out.

They also only had one game (I think Jacksonville?) where Bell and Brown both actually played.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad