6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp butter
2 cups baby spinach
Salt and pepper

1) With the rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish, set aside.

2) In a large bowl, combine eggs & milk with a whisk. Add cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place bowl aside.

3) In a large non-stick skillet, brown onions and mushrooms in butter over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach and continue cooking for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

4) Pour mushroom mixture into egg mixture. Stir well and pour into baking dish. Bake the frittata for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed. Cut into four squares. Serve warm or cold.
Guess what’s for breakfast?

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I call it: Sundays in Quarantine

A friends birthday is this weekend. Her husband asked a bunch of us to do a video wishing her a happy birthday.

our stage was set to toast her with all the best things. Andre and Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. And Waterford champagne flutes

727278A4-6138-4A9B-A7C4-4ED67320A1F0.jpeg

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Made some lean turkey taco soup.

Great stuff.

I definitely got a good cheat meal/carb load in Friday night.

Crushed 6 slices of a medium pan cheese pizza and a coke. In my prime, I’d have killed a large pie in one sitting.

Yesterday treated myself to two spicy chicken sandwiches at Chic Fila after my run.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
From the NY Times. French Onion Grilled Cheese.

as-french-onion-grilled-cheese-2-jumbo.jpg

French Onion Grilled Cheese

A basic grilled cheese sandwich doesn’t always feel like dinner, but this does. If you have a slow cooker, use it to caramelize the onions: At a low setting, they are less likely to burn if you wander away from the kitchen or get distracted (which is happening to me an awful lot).

INGREDIENTS

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 pound yellow or Vidalia onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons sherry, red-wine or white-wine vinegar (optional)
  • 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
  • 4 slices bread, cut no wider than
  • 1/2-inch thick
PREPARATION

1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the onions are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Uncover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. If the onions look dry or like they might burn, add a few tablespoons of water at a time, scraping up any browned bits that are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. If desired, once the onions are done, deglaze the skillet with vinegar and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Transfer the onions to a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wipe out the skillet, or wash it, if necessary.
Step 2

Add the cheese to the onions and stir to combine. Put down two slices of bread, and scoop half of the cheese-onion mixture onto each one. Top with the remaining slices of bread, and press down gently.

Step 3

In the skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the bottoms turn golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes, reducing the heat to prevent toast from darkening too quickly, if needed. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, flip the sandwiches, press down and cook until the cheese has fully melted and the bottoms turn golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Normally I eat out 75% of the time, the other 25% either was between two slices of bread or went beep beep beep when ready.

Welp, actual cooking at home in what I feel are huge piggish portions ... I'm down 10lbs.

Reactions: caz16

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
From the NY Times. French Onion Grilled Cheese.

View attachment 339640

French Onion Grilled Cheese

A basic grilled cheese sandwich doesn’t always feel like dinner, but this does. If you have a slow cooker, use it to caramelize the onions: At a low setting, they are less likely to burn if you wander away from the kitchen or get distracted (which is happening to me an awful lot).

INGREDIENTS

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 pound yellow or Vidalia onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons sherry, red-wine or white-wine vinegar (optional)
  • 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated
  • 4 slices bread, cut no wider than
  • 1/2-inch thick
PREPARATION

1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the onions are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Uncover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. If the onions look dry or like they might burn, add a few tablespoons of water at a time, scraping up any browned bits that are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. If desired, once the onions are done, deglaze the skillet with vinegar and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute. Transfer the onions to a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Wipe out the skillet, or wash it, if necessary.
Step 2

Add the cheese to the onions and stir to combine. Put down two slices of bread, and scoop half of the cheese-onion mixture onto each one. Top with the remaining slices of bread, and press down gently.

Step 3

In the skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until the bottoms turn golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes, reducing the heat to prevent toast from darkening too quickly, if needed. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, flip the sandwiches, press down and cook until the cheese has fully melted and the bottoms turn golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

I've never been what you'd call a grilled cheese fan, but holy shit does this look incredible...

Reactions: Gee Wally

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I've never been what you'd call a grilled cheese fan, but holy shit does this look incredible...
I'm gonna make this tonight.

Think I'm gonna have to adjust the Onion:Cheese ratio however. 1lb of onion to 4oz of cheese just seems off to me...

I know the onions are going to reduce significantly, but this still seems out of whack. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: LSCII

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I do it often, playing with cheeses is pretty tasting. Getting away from the regular ones. Blue or Gorgonzola for a medium taste or a Cambozola for a lighter taste, brie, camembert, emmental. Lots of different taste.

A grill cheese with brie and strawberry jam is really tasty for a snack. You could also do the brie/strawberry ham in a fresh baguette with butter. Really really good.

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My time around Peruvian people has improved my culinary repertoire.

Last night I made chicken drumsticks and rice served with a Huancaina sauce - cut up some yellow chiles and half an onion (a clove of garlic is ideal here, but I had to resort to adding garlic powder), fry them until the outsides are browned, blend that in the magic bullet, then add a little milk and about half a wheel of queso fresco and blend again, and you've got a delicious spicy cheesy sauce.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'm gonna make this tonight.

Think I'm gonna have to adjust the Onion:Cheese ratio however. 1lb of onion to 4oz of cheese just seems off to me...

I know the onions are going to reduce significantly, but this still seems out of whack. We'll see how it goes.
Those are caramelized onions, they become a paste...all the water is gone.

When i do a recipe for the first time, I always follow the recipe.Like that you know exactly what the taste was supposed to be.Then you adjust to your taste. Otherside you loose the original creativity. It's much easier to adjust a recipe than just changing ingredients, quantities and technique. In the end it's a totally different recipe. Instead...Adjust and then make it your recipe.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Making a lasagna. Cooking from the freezer and pantry. Making a full pan, but going to drop by one the banana breads I made earlier and half of the pan to my father in law who's in his 70s and alone.

Got a new Butcher Box shipment today, so the freezer is stocked again!

Reactions: sooshii

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Get Chinese while you can. Once you move to SC, you'll have trouble finding good Chinese. (OK, I'm projecting the issue with finding decent Chinese (and pizza) in AZ, but still...)

that would suck. We’re thinking of Habersham in Beaufort SC. Although this Cov19 is certainly screwing up my time to do due diligence . Its just outside Savanha and Hilton Head.
Thinking of being revers snowbirds if the numbers are right.
Lus this thing has me dwelling more on my own mortality and not being able to take it with me..

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I do it often, playing with cheeses is pretty tasting. Getting away from the regular ones. Blue or Gorgonzola for a medium taste or a Cambozola for a lighter taste, brie, camembert, emmental. Lots of different taste.

A grill cheese with brie and strawberry jam is really tasty for a snack. You could also do the brie/strawberry ham in a fresh baguette with butter. Really really good.
Had a great grilled cheese when I was in Nevada last year. It was this place. Had the Wiseguy, and it was delicious. I'll bet you'd like the Bumble Brie. If anything it might give you some ideas to try while you're at home.

@Kate08 look at the brie on I mentioned...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad