OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
OK. So going a bit back to Italy tonight. This is a mix of traditional Sicilian ingredients. Pretty simple and poor man's dish back in the day. Cauliflower and potato (about 75% cauliflower) mash - more like a purée. I probably needed a bit more milk but that's the base. It needs nutmeg to spice it up a bit. On top you take filets of any oily fish - these are "baby" mackerel - would actually prefer with sea sardine filets but any oily fish will do. Olive oil on both sides, salt, pepper, and put under the oven grill for 3-4 minutes until the skin bubbles. Top it off with an sautéed oignon, pine seed, dry raisins with a spoon of balsamic vinegar, a spoon of honey and some dill. Presentation could have been better but you get the gist - welcome back to Italy. ;-)

IMG_5937.jpg

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Last weekend, we brought my mom lunch, then picked from her trees. Got all the grapefruit and all the navel oranges, then picked 17(!) bags of lemons, and got less than half of what was on the tree. We gave a lot of it away to families who said they needed help with food, but had so many lemons we had to do something.

This is what we did:
View media item 7529

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Got my pickup time at Giant today (one week’s wait).
Scheduled the next one for same time next week.

No bread, no flour, no yeast, pancake mix or cake mix. Or paper towels. Or Gatorade.
But got burger rolls, bagels and eclairs.
Got all the meat & fresh produce.
In all, I got about 2/3 of what I ordered.

Following strict protocol as suggest by @talkinaway, we brought the perishables in and wiped them down/removed outer packaging before putting away.

Canned goods, etc. can stay in the garage for a day or two before I bring them in.

Reactions: LSCII

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Last weekend, we brought my mom lunch, then picked from her trees. Got all the grapefruit and all the navel oranges, then picked 17(!) bags of lemons, and got less than half of what was on the tree. We gave a lot of it away to families who said they needed help with food, but had so many lemons we had to do something.

This is what we did:
View media item 7529
Life has handed us a gigantic lemon, and with 17 bags of lemons, you didn't make the biggest pitcher of lemonade on the planet.

:shakehead

:laugh:

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Not the best "looker" but it was quite good on homemade mashed potatoes tonight. A bone in beef stew. Cooked it for 7 hours at 190 F after 36 hours in the marinade. 2 brown ale, same water, salt, pepper, bay leaves, spoon of whole mustard, 3 medium oignons, a handful of mushrooms, about 8 carrots, smoked lard diced up, parsley, maybe 4 pounds of beef. Sauteed the vegetables in oil then mixed beer and water to simmer 10 minutes. Browned the beef on the side then cut up som, added to marinade. Let cool and stay for 36 hours. Drained, sauteed the vegetables again lightly, added seasoning. Added beef and topped off with a class of red wine. Into the oven for 7 hours or so and then let it cool. Key is to not boil the beef but let it be just below so the fat reduces but doesn't exit the meat. For the gravy, made a couple spoonfuls of roux - butter in a saucepan and add flour, heat until it starts to tan orange (that's "roux"). Add the base sauce to this pan and bring to light simmer - gravy to die for... Will be even better the day after tomorrow as this is what's left after a meal for 4 tonight. Need to go healthy for a couple days this week as not getting out enough is giving too much time to cook and eat! ;-)

IMG_0062.jpg

Reactions: Kovi and sooshii

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Oooohhhh that looks really good! Mind sharing the recipe? :)

Here you go:

6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp butter
2 cups baby spinach
Salt and pepper

1) With the rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish, set aside.

2) In a large bowl, combine eggs & milk with a whisk. Add cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place bowl aside.

3) In a large non-stick skillet, brown onions and mushrooms in butter over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach and continue cooking for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

4) Pour mushroom mixture into egg mixture. Stir well and pour into baking dish. Bake the frittata for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed. Cut into four squares. Serve warm or cold.

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Here you go:

6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 oz mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp butter
2 cups baby spinach
Salt and pepper

1) With the rack in the middle position, preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish, set aside.

2) In a large bowl, combine eggs & milk with a whisk. Add cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Place bowl aside.

3) In a large non-stick skillet, brown onions and mushrooms in butter over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach and continue cooking for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

4) Pour mushroom mixture into egg mixture. Stir well and pour into baking dish. Bake the frittata for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned and puffed. Cut into four squares. Serve warm or cold.
Thanks! :)

The only thing I don't have on hand is the mushrooms. Hmmmmm

Reactions: caz16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad