OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
anyone got a go-to chili recipe they're willing to share?
I lived in Texas for most of high school and all of college and ate a lot of chili. I also firmly believe that beans in chili is borderline criminal. This is one of the best recipes I've come across, and I've cooked a lot of chili. It takes about 4-5hrs to do it right, but all good chili takes that long. You won't regret it.

I like mine with sour cream, raw onion and a little bit of shredded cheese on top. You gotta have a good hunk of cornbread as well. The cornbread is my wife's department....

PS: It also works really well with venison, if you don't want to use a chuck roast.

Attachments

• Texas-Style Chili Con Carne - Once Upon a Chef.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NeelyDan

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I lived in Texas for most of high school and all of college and ate a lot of chili. I also firmly believe that beans in chili is borderline criminal. This is one of the best recipes I've come across, and I've cooked a lot of chili. It takes about 4-5hrs to do it right, but all good chili takes that long. You won't regret it.
I love beans in chili....to me without beans its a sloppy joe...lol

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

Ive made this recipe 3-4 times and its really good but a lot of prep and if you need to purchase a lot of the ingredients it ends up being a big pot of $80 chili lol.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I'd purchased a bag of ras el hanout a year or two ago and every time I come across it, I take a sniff and think it's eight pounds of Christmas in a five pound bag.

Got sick of my usual chicken wing prep and found the ras el hanout. Figured, what the hell. Gave the bird some and modded a store bbq sauce with some more.

Well, those Moroccans got themselves one hell of a chicken rub there. Apparently it has loads of applications, but right now it's chicken spice #1 in my rotation.

Orr Fourever

#Staysafe
Sponsor
Mar 27, 2018
The Wheat Province
Root beer butte chicken. Grilled veggies, baked potato and garlic toast. It was dam good.
20230705_173248.jpg

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

I like mine with sour cream, raw onion and a little bit of shredded cheese on top. You gotta have a good hunk of cornbread as well. The cornbread is my wife's department....

PS: It also works really well with venison, if you don't want to use a chuck roast.
Nothing better than a mix of dried Chile's like guajillo, pasilla, de arbor, ancho and real dried Chipotle... opened, removing seeds and warm up on a dry skillet medium heat for a minute than soak them on boiling water for 5 minutes or until soft than put them on a blender with part of the soacking water and make a paste. That paste goes in the chili instead of chili powder...

Then when whatever chili you're making is simmering... add whole Chile's to the pot and let simmer until your chili is ready. I usually put 1-2 guajillo, 1 pasilla and whatever amount of chili the arbol you like depending on how much heat you want.

Reactions: CDJ

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
have this bad boy in the fridge for today`s dessert

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Not for everyone, but if you love umami,

This Store-Bought Spice Blend Makes Everything Taste Better

Italian Salsa Verde
About 2/3 cup

3 Tbs. capers, drained and rinsed
½ cup packed flat leaf parsley
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. chopped shallot
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp chopped garlic
1 Tbs. red-wine vinegar
In food processor, combine all ingredients except vinegar and finely chop. Salsa verde
can be prepared up to this point one day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room
temperature and just before serving, stir in vinegar.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Recently started incorporating diced jalapeño in a couple recipes. Usually I omit if called for, because I'm not real big on spice/heat, but thought what the heck, I'll just try it. And they are mild enough that I can appreciate the flavor it adds.

Never thought I would like it, guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Reactions: GordonHowe

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Recently started incorporating diced jalapeño in a couple recipes. Usually I omit if called for, because I'm not real big on spice/heat, but thought what the heck, I'll just try it. And they are mild enough that I can appreciate the flavor it adds.

Never thought I would like it, guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
I’m the opposite.

I like spicy foods but don’t like the flavor of jalapeños.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad