OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
that would suck. We’re thinking of Habersham in Beaufort SC. Although this Cov19 is certainly screwing up my time to do due diligence . Its just outside Savanha and Hilton Head.
Thinking of being revers snowbirds if the numbers are right.
Lus this thing has me dwelling more on my own mortality and not being able to take it with me..
That place looks wonderful, though I'm sure there are more bugs than I'd like.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
That place looks wonderful, though I'm sure there are more bugs than I'd like.

I never thought I’d leave New England . Ever But I misjudged things. My kids are scattering across the country. Didnt see that coming.
My mom, if Im lucky, lives another three to six months.
So, nothing really to keep me here year round. Even my best bud. Just moved to Talahasee.
So the Brides only living family member, her older sisterlives in SC. She bounced the idea off me once she came to terms with our kids leaving that maybe we consider SC Honestlt Trevor I’ve never denied her anything I could do in40 years. So not about to start now.
We’ll see I guess.
At least I love BBQ and was told it was damn good down there.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I never thought I’d leave New England . Ever But I misjudged things. My kids are scattering across the country. Didnt see that coming.
So, nothing really to keep me here year round. Even my best bud. Just moved to Talahasee.
So the Brides only living family member, her older sisterlives in SC. She bounced the idea off me once she came to terms with our kids leaving that maybe we consider SC Honestlt Trevor I’ve never denied her anything I could do in40 years. So not about to start now.
We’ll see I guess.
I TOTALLY get it. When I got divorced, I had a kid at NU and a kid at Brown, and a kid in HS in Peabody. Then I connected with Cinde. I had reasons to stay in NE. Fast forward a few years, and my Brown son is in NYC and my youngest is in Philly. Add in snow, and I began to have fewer reasons to stay. Cinde and I talked a lot about it, and thought we'd seriously consider moving after we got married. Honestly, my biggest concern was moving her away from her family. But I kept looking at houses, and sharing the ones I likes with her, and she seemed open to the idea of moving. Two springs ago, we decided it made sense to just take the plunge and move. We got lucky with how things fell into place, and we found a house we absolutely love, and I get to see my mom and brother more often than once or twice a year (or every 10 years in the case of my brother). We're also lucky we can travel back relatively frequently and see her family and I can sometimes work my travel to allow me to visit my kids. And we're able to fly her mom out once in a while too. Now, we can't imagine living in New England again.

But, I totally get the shifts you experienced. I've been there.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
22D4E36C-E532-45CB-AE68-16207F1D5DCD.jpeg Strips steaks with tater and broccoli slaw. Steaks were a little thinner and smaller than i normally buy, but delightful as always.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
We’ll see I guess.

Serious invitation: come visit. Your world will open up once you leave NE. and you cant shovel sunshine.
I'm so sorry about your mom Wally

Reactions: Gee Wally

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
One of my favorite breakfast go-to's is the hash. One of my jobs had a "garbage plate" hash with kielbasa, peppers, onions and potatoes. I replicated that once when we had leftover kielbasa.

Last week... nope, two weeks ago, had leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day. Diced some pieces up with potatoes and onions with sunnyside eggs on top and instant hit. Probably the only meal I'll really remember making during this stay at home thing. That and english muffin pizzas. Had those three times already.

https://twitter.com/wickedbruinsfan/statu

Now I must make that french onion grilled cheese @Spooner st and that spinach mushroom onion frittata @caz16 .

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
View attachment 339838 Strips steaks with tater and broccoli slaw. Steaks were a little thinner and smaller than i normally buy, but delightful as always.

I made a run to the butchers on Sunday and we grabbed an assortment of stuff. No pics but we had some insane marinated steak tips last night. First time in the last few weeks that it felt somewhat normal for at least a couple of minutes.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Normally I eat out 75% of the time, the other 25% either was between two slices of bread or went beep beep beep when ready.

Welp, actual cooking at home in what I feel are huge piggish portions ... I'm down 10lbs.

That's because there's so much junk in food you get from restaurants that may be used to make it taste good, but is horrible for your body. When I graduated college, I started cooking for myself more, and I cut out soda and cut down on the beer, and I lost weight and was generally healthier despite being less physically active.

One of the things people will have to work on is not constantly snacking while at home, but it's tough when the food's right there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We’ll see I guess.

NC and SC are beautiful. Very rarely get any significant snow and the winters are really mild. Not as humid as MS or FLA either. Could do a lot worse.

Reactions: CDJ and Gee Wally

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
CHEESY HASSELBACK POTATO GRATIN
Screenshot_20200331-145400_Amazon Kindle.jpg

From the cookbook The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science. From J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

Because of variation in the shape of potatoes, the amount of potato that will fit into a single casserole dish varies. Longer, thinner potatoes will fill a dish more than shorter, rounder potatoes. When purchasing potatoes, buy a few extra in order to fill the dish if necessary. Depending on the exact shape and size of the potatoes and the casserole dish, you may not need all of the cream mixture.

SERVES 8
3 ounces finely grated Comté or Gruyère cheese
2 ounces finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 cups heavy cream
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 to 4½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick on a mandoline slicer (7 to 8 medium, see the headnote)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the cheeses in a large bowl. Transfer ⅓ of the cheese mixture to a separate bowl and set aside. Add the cream, garlic, and thyme to the cheese mixture. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Add the potato slices and toss with your hands until every slice is coated with the cream mixture, making sure to separate any slices that are sticking together to get the cream mixture in between them.

2. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with the butter. Pick up a handful of potatoes, organizing them into a neat stack, and lay them in the casserole dish with their edges aligned vertically. Continue placing potatoes in the dish, working around the perimeter and into the center until all the potatoes have been added. The potatoes should be very tightly packed.

If necessary, slice an additional potato, coat it with the cream mixture, and add it to the casserole. Pour the excess cheese/cream mixture evenly over the potatoes until the mixture comes halfway up the sides of the casserole. You may not need all the excess liquid.

3. Cover the dish tightly with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the top is pale golden brown, about 30 minutes longer.

Carefully remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and return to the oven. Bake until deep golden brown and crisp on top, about 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven, let rest for a few minutes, and serve.

This is real tasty stuff. Not very difficult. Just follow instructions and you'll thank me for it. Then... you can tweak it and make it yours. Enjoy.

The book IMO is a must. No BS just Facts and tested recipes through Science.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hey @Kovi - looks like we're ahead of the game! Good thing Lonnie didn't say anything about not being able to play in August, right! :laugh:

Last time I went to Myrtle Beach, it was August and very hot and humid. And we still played. Just had to make sure to drink enough water. Good thing is in off season times like that, the courses are virtually empty. Not sure how hot it gets in AZ in August, but I'd try at least give it a shot...lol

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It's also a great dish to bring somewhere. Do it at home until ready for oven. Them bake it in friends/Family oven when needed. A success every time. Everyone will be wowed.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
NC and SC are beautiful. Very rarely get any significant snow and the winters are really mild. Not as humid as MS or FLA either. Could do a lot worse.

Went to school in NC- loved it. Tons to do too. Good nature if that’s your scene, good breweries, a couple big cities, great food, cost of living isn’t bad at all....I’d prefer it to Florida personally

The BBQ is A+

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I did a few years back part of the North Carolina BBQ trail.
Aldo did a few in South Carolina.

Best one was in Ayden, NC. The Skylight Inn absolutely best whole hog BBQ with the vinegar base sauce.

In SC Best one was Sweatman's Barbeque in Holly Hill, SC. With a mustard sauce base. Also a whole hog bbq with lots of delicious sides. It's buffet style, corn bread and banana pudding were awesome.

The main place that i was really looking for since I saw the guy on tv multiple times. Was Rodney Scott's BBQ in Hemmingway, SC. Also whole hog. He mops and season his whole hog while cooking it's different from the others...but it didn't translate to the plate,not very tasty, like the other 2.

Best overall pure flavor is Skylight by a wide margin also their pork rinds was fantastic. Sweatman's makes for a nice meal with all their excellent sides. Worth a visit if you're already in South Carolina.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad