OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I'm not much of a wine drinker and I'm afraid to ruin a recipe with a bad wine choice. Can I get recommendations of what brands of red and white wine to use preferably under $20. Maybe a Pinot Noir and Merlot for recipes that call for red wine and a pinot grigio for white wine?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I'm not much of a wine drinker and I'm afraid to ruin a recipe with a bad wine choice. Can I get recommendations of what brands of red and white wine to use preferably under $20. Maybe a Pinot Noir and Merlot for recipes that call for red wine and a pinot grigio for white wine?
I'm no expert, but This is what I found online. Sounds like good advice from the little bit I know about cooking with wine.
Does It Matter Which Wine You Use When Cooking?

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Honestly unless it is super refined cooking (Michelin star stuff), any mid to dry white or mid body red works for cooking. Don't waste $ on getting something "good" because it really won't make a big difference in the end. Just try to shy away from the sweet / full body wines as they tend to have higher sugar content and that isn't great for a sauce unless it's a dessert sauce.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Apologies but missed out on the pics yesterday. After a week of lockdown my daughter wanted a burger night but we missed the pics. Tonight was low key as well and a bit more local. We call this the Raclette. Basically it's a cow's milk cheese (not pasteurized, semi soft) that you heat and scrape off one serving at a time. Put the cheese on top of steamed potatoes, add ground pepper. Side of Italian salami and dried ham and a green salad (yes, there was one, just not on the pic ;-) ) and dinner is served. This is a traditional wintertime dish from where I'm at these days and given it's below 0 in the evening with the cold spell, we figured why not. Tomorrow we'll be heading back to Sicily (in the culinary sense) for some traditional garb. Another 5 weeks of lockdown announced today - definitely need to get some exercise or I'll come out of this with more issues than going in! ;-). Stay safe.

IMG_8268.jpg

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I'm no expert, but This is what I found online. Sounds like good advice from the little bit I know about cooking with wine.
Does It Matter Which Wine You Use When Cooking?

This may come across as a snotty response and not meant to be a jab at you but I find it astounding that the person that wrote the article thinks there is Cabernet in Côtes du Rhone... There is 0 Cabarnet in Côtes du Rhone. Likewise, Sancerre is 90%+ Sauvignon Blanc in terms of the grape variety so calling it out twice is stupid.

Funny that these "experts" with their blogs get away with talking out of their asses and not having to pay the piper.

Anyhow, at least the blogger got it right on one thing, no need to blow 50 USD on a bottle to put into a dish. Cheap, dry white or red works fine.

Sorry for the aside, just annoying and the first pic tells it all. Wine does not flame on pouring. 12-14% alcohol content doesn't ignite...

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Use wine you would drink, mostly dry. Do not use fruity or bubbly.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
This may come across as a snotty response and not meant to be a jab at you but I find it astounding that the person that wrote the article thinks there is Cabernet in Côtes du Rhone... There is 0 Cabarnet in Côtes du Rhone. Likewise, Sancerre is 90%+ Sauvignon Blanc in terms of the grape variety so calling it out twice is stupid.

Funny that these "experts" with their blogs get away with talking out of their asses and not having to pay the piper.

Anyhow, at least the blogger got it right on one thing, no need to blow 50 USD on a bottle to put into a dish. Cheap, dry white or red works fine.

Sorry for the aside, just annoying and the first pic tells it all. Wine does not flame on pouring. 12-14% alcohol content doesn't ignite...
Most cheap white and red in North America are not worthy of a good meal. I won't put that crap in my food. I actually do my white wine for cooking. No need for red since it's rarely used.

Reactions: bb74

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Tonight’s dinner brought to you by my love for Trader Joes.

Sautéed some shallots and chicken tenderloins in some olive oil with the TJ’s lemon pepper spice blend and fresh squeezed lemon. Made a package of TJ’s lemon ricotta ravioli. Added some of the lemon Alfredo sauce and thinned out the sauce with pasta water.

delish and fast meal.

Reactions: sooshii

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

LOL, I'm surprised I didn't catch that, as Cotes du Rhone is my favorite wine. I do think they were right that you don't want anything more than a medium tannin red wine, as a dryer wine will get pronoucedly bitter as you reduce it.

Reactions: bb74

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Tonight’s dinner brought to you by my love for Trader Joes.

Sautéed some shallots and chicken tenderloins in some olive oil with the TJ’s lemon pepper spice blend and fresh squeezed lemon. Made a package of TJ’s lemon ricotta ravioli. Added some of the lemon Alfredo sauce and thinned out the sauce with pasta water.

delish and fast meal.
If you need any fresh lemons, we picked something like 17 bags of lemons from my mom's tree this past weekend, and don't think we even got half of them off.

We did get some oranges too, which we squeezed for juice. Nothing like fresh squeezed.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Welp, in a living situation where I was not really equipped to cook.

Threw some money at the problem.

Was my Sunday today (essential services) so I gave it my all to work on not eating out anymore.

I've been a working chef and a kitchen manager in my past and sorry, I don't trust you restaurants.

So this was my caloricly excessive day.

pfdCmqa.jpg

Hooo boy there was a lot of grains in that bread.

9ICZ4cU.jpg

Air friers apparently make GLORIOUS oven fries.

ytx8sc1.jpg

Made a meat and mushroom sauce, did the garlic toast in the air frier.

I like this cooking at home stuff.

Reactions: sooshii and CDJ

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Welp, in a living situation where I was not really equipped to cook.

Threw some money at the problem.

Was my Sunday today (essential services) so I gave it my all to work on not eating out anymore.

I've been a working chef and a kitchen manager in my past and sorry, I don't trust you restaurants.

So this was my caloricly excessive day.

Hooo boy there was a lot of grains in that bread.

Air friers apparently make GLORIOUS oven fries.

Made a meat and mushroom sauce, did the garlic toast in the air frier.

I like this cooking at home stuff.
Air fryers are the BOMB! We won't roast potatoes any other way now. cut 'em up, toss 'em in a ziplock with some olive oil, rosemary and garlic salt. Roast 'em up and wolf 'em down!

I've made jerky, we've made homemade chicken tenders, roasted all sorts of veggies. Probably our most used appliance.

Reactions: sarge88 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Air fryers are the BOMB! We won't roast potatoes any other way now. cut 'em up, toss 'em in a ziplock with some olive oil, rosemary and garlic salt. Roast 'em up and wolf 'em down!

I've made jerky, we've made homemade chicken tenders, roasted all sorts of veggies. Probably our most used appliance.

im very intrigued by the jerky in the air fryer, how did that go?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I did it. It came out ok. I think you really need a strong marinade and a lot of time in it before dehydrating.

Mine came out a little bland, but it was my first time.

Reactions: CDJ

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I did it. It came out ok. I think you really need a strong marinade and a lot of time in it before dehydrating.

Mine came out a little bland, but it was my first time.

Mine was OK as well. I did get some decent flavor, as I marinaded overnight. The texture was a little off, but it was my first time as well. Wasn't terrible, so definitely worth trying a few times. I'll probably set my heat a little lower this time. I was also hampered by my air fryer timing out and having to keep turning it back on.

Reactions: sarge88 and CDJ

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Making salsa chicken in the instant pot for lunch.... We shall see how it turns out o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad