OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Last time I went to Myrtle Beach, it was August and very hot and humid. And we still played. Just had to make sure to drink enough water. Good thing is in off season times like that, the courses are virtually empty. Not sure how hot it gets in AZ in August, but I'd try at least give it a shot...lol
I can get to 120 in the afternoons. My son visited his grandma in August several years back and he played every day. Of course he teed off before 7 every day (it "cools down" to the low to mid 90s overnight), so it was bearable.

We have plenty of room when you ever make it this way!

Reactions: Kovi and LSCII

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I never thought I’d leave New England . Ever But I misjudged things. My kids are scattering across the country. Didnt see that coming.
My mom, if Im lucky, lives another three to six months.
So, nothing really to keep me here year round. Even my best bud. Just moved to Talahasee.
So the Brides only living family member, her older sisterlives in SC. She bounced the idea off me once she came to terms with our kids leaving that maybe we consider SC Honestlt Trevor I’ve never denied her anything I could do in40 years. So not about to start now.
We’ll see I guess.
At least I love BBQ and was told it was damn good down there.

Why just the Eastern Seabord? Lots of interesting and nice places in EST to Mountain time zone. As for NC / SD - I know RTP and East of there a bit. Have friends with Family in SC but personally have only been to Charlotte. Face value I'd prefer both NC and SC to Georgia and FLA. Both feel pretty tame and laid back which isn't a bad thing per-se. All depends on what you are looking for in terms of lifestyle and public services. Lots of places in the Rockies and Southwest that float my boat and aren't total Hickvilles, but all depends if you have that "within a day's drive" of the family constraint. Otherwise SD for Cali, or Oregon & WA if West Coast. LA to SF is a mess and the rest of CA not much better. Utah you can "adopt" a 2nd wife but not sure the first would "go for it" so maybe out of the question - you'll know before touchdown in Salt Lake ;-). Anyhow, go slow and ponder the options. Lot's of irrational motivations these days with this f***er Covid-19 so no rush.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
CHEESY HASSELBACK POTATO GRATIN
View attachment 339908

From the cookbook The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science. From J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

Because of variation in the shape of potatoes, the amount of potato that will fit into a single casserole dish varies. Longer, thinner potatoes will fill a dish more than shorter, rounder potatoes. When purchasing potatoes, buy a few extra in order to fill the dish if necessary. Depending on the exact shape and size of the potatoes and the casserole dish, you may not need all of the cream mixture.

SERVES 8
3 ounces finely grated Comté or Gruyère cheese
2 ounces finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 cups heavy cream
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 to 4½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick on a mandoline slicer (7 to 8 medium, see the headnote)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the cheeses in a large bowl. Transfer ⅓ of the cheese mixture to a separate bowl and set aside. Add the cream, garlic, and thyme to the cheese mixture. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Add the potato slices and toss with your hands until every slice is coated with the cream mixture, making sure to separate any slices that are sticking together to get the cream mixture in between them.

2. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with the butter. Pick up a handful of potatoes, organizing them into a neat stack, and lay them in the casserole dish with their edges aligned vertically. Continue placing potatoes in the dish, working around the perimeter and into the center until all the potatoes have been added. The potatoes should be very tightly packed.

If necessary, slice an additional potato, coat it with the cream mixture, and add it to the casserole. Pour the excess cheese/cream mixture evenly over the potatoes until the mixture comes halfway up the sides of the casserole. You may not need all the excess liquid.

3. Cover the dish tightly with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the top is pale golden brown, about 30 minutes longer.

Carefully remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and return to the oven. Bake until deep golden brown and crisp on top, about 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven, let rest for a few minutes, and serve.

This is real tasty stuff. Not very difficult. Just follow instructions and you'll thank me for it. Then... you can tweak it and make it yours. Enjoy.

The book IMO is a must. No BS just Facts and tested recipes through Science.
Bravo - looks amazing!

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Felt like making Jamaican curry tonight. One of my wife’s favorites.

View media item 7536
You pinched my idea for tomorrow's dinner for the Family! Nice job and looks great. Will sleep on dinner tomorrow and post something on par with the ever rising bar of this thread. Who knew there were so many hidden talents on this board - goes to show you are all far too kind to JJ for his $10 sawdust hotdogs and soggy nachos ;-) .

Reactions: WickedBruinsGirl

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm craving a Maryland crab cake so badly right now

c43e878d9b83f835779154c3fa9519ea.jpg

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Bravo - looks amazing!
The picture is the original from the book, or should i say from the Kindle app in my case. But it's easy to have it come up like the picture. The Russet are already a long potatoe, it already simplifies things. only make sure you have about the same size potatoes or close to. You can always trim them a little to have a similar diameter. It makes for a beautiful presentation. I'll make one soon and take a picture.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Why just the Eastern Seabord? Lots of interesting and nice places in EST to Mountain time zone. As for NC / SD - I know RTP and East of there a bit. Have friends with Family in SC but personally have only been to Charlotte. Face value I'd prefer both NC and SC to Georgia and FLA. Both feel pretty tame and laid back which isn't a bad thing per-se. All depends on what you are looking for in terms of lifestyle and public services. Lots of places in the Rockies and Southwest that float my boat and aren't total Hickvilles, but all depends if you have that "within a day's drive" of the family constraint. Otherwise SD for Cali, or Oregon & WA if West Coast. LA to SF is a mess and the rest of CA not much better. Utah you can "adopt" a 2nd wife but not sure the first would "go for it" so maybe out of the question - you'll know before touchdown in Salt Lake ;-). Anyhow, go slow and ponder the options. Lot's of irrational motivations these days with this f***er Covid-19 so no rush.

simple answer - family there and near there.
lifestyle - retired - laid back- walkable community

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Been lurking for a while but thought I’d jump in! Made boneless chicken thighs last night peri-peri style with Spanish rice. Rice was a bit bland (first crack at it) but the peri-peri chicken was awesome! Peri-peri is Portuguese (or at least that’s what the Nando’s restaurants chain tells me) and is amazing!

Edit- I do have a very nice picture which I wanted to paste in but I have absolutely no idea how to do that...

Last edited:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I'm giving up eating chocolate for a month.
Sorry, bad punctuation.
I'm giving up. Eating chocolate for a month.
We have so much cake and pie in this house. I shouldn't be working from home. Oof.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This whole “supporting local restaurants” thing is a great excuse for me to keep ordering wings from DJ’s

I do it because I have to, my hands were tied

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
This whole “supporting local restaurants” thing is a great excuse for me to keep ordering wings from DJ’s

I assume they were fused to drumsticks. :D

Reactions: CDJ

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`m one who has, for over a decade been devoted to and insistent upon supporting local before anything else when buying products, eating at a restaurant etc....I worked for a pioneer in the restaurant scene in Halifax Lil Macpherson who sourced locally produced, healthy and as organic as possible and she changed the way I began to look at things and I haven`t looked back

The Wooden Monkey Restaurant | Halifax & Dartmouth NS

Reactions: CDJ

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
for those who love to watch any food related programs, can`t recommend enough Chef`s Table on Netflix, such a great show. far less about recipe hunting, far more about finding out about the backgrounds of some of the most praised chef`s out there, what drives them, the cost being a chef has on their mental health and families

Emotional, the most consistent message I have gotten is be true to yourself. If you have a passion for something, do everything to try and achieve what your goal is rather than say "coulda shoulda woulda"

I just fell on this show and it`s really gotten me thinking about things which is, of course, compounded with the fact I`ve had loads of time to do so sitting at home as much as we are being asked to. I absolutely love baking, not so much cooking but I could bake 16 hours a day and still want to do more. Starting to investigate things I could do once the world settles a bit to pursue my passion.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
For the Merrimack Valley people, Raymond's Turkey Farm is closing at 5:00 tomorrow until this is over.

You've got 29 hours or so to load up.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

On one hand, the amount of things we're currently giving up is way more than our typical lenten sacrifices, and many people may have difficulty grocery shopping with all the limitations and stuff on things like fish, so I understand the restriction being lifted. But honestly I haven't had difficulty keeping Fridays meat free, I just have trail mix and fruit for lunch and then get a cheese pizza for dinner. Which I suppose I'll do again today. I haven't checked to see if my local bishop has lifted the meat abstention thing, but I figure that if I can do it, I might as well. I need some points at least in my favor with all the rest of the mess this has caused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad