OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
On one hand, the amount of things we're currently giving up is way more than our typical lenten sacrifices, and many people may have difficulty grocery shopping with all the limitations and stuff on things like fish, so I understand the restriction being lifted. But honestly I haven't had difficulty keeping Fridays meat free, I just have trail mix and fruit for lunch and then get a cheese pizza for dinner. Which I suppose I'll do again today. I haven't checked to see if my local bishop has lifted the meat abstention thing, but I figure that if I can do it, I might as well. I need some points at least in my favor with all the rest of the mess this has caused.
The fiance is cheese pizza'd out so, we're doing breakfast for dinner tonight.

Pancakes, eggs, and breakfast potatoes.

Haven't seen anything about Libasci lifting the requirements in NH.

Reactions: LSCII and sooshii

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
EB6E14CF-EC60-4CAD-8AEE-C6546EF9F779.jpeg

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

If I had eggs I'd cook up some fried rice, but in the absence of that I'll go back to my old standby of a $5 hot and ready cheese covered in the red pepper flake packets from the Little Ceasar's around the corner. Thank you Mike Illitch.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Made baked potatoes in the air fryer last night. Sometimes simple is best.

Honestly, slowly ate a plain bagel w/ cream cheese this morning. It was heaven.

Reactions: GordonHowe

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Went to Whole Foods today. They are only letting in a certain amount, had lines on the ground every 6 feet outside for people to wait.

Scored the last 3 pack of boneless chicken breasts. Feels like I won an Olympic gold medal.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Went Thai tonight (homemade but forgot the pics). Making pancakes for breakfast tomorrow for the kids and Banana Bread as a snack. Roasted chicken with homemade mash and veggies for lunch if all goes as planned. Running thru the stores and stock like Montezuma so need to plan some low risk shopping next week. 3 weeks in and starting to thin out on the basics and given what we have ahead it's not a pleasant situation to be in.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Went Thai tonight (homemade but forgot the pics). Making pancakes for breakfast tomorrow for the kids and Banana Bread as a snack. Roasted chicken with homemade mash and veggies for lunch if all goes as planned. Running thru the stores and stock like Montezuma so need to plan some low risk shopping next week. 3 weeks in and starting to thin out on the basics and given what we have ahead it's not a pleasant situation to be in.

Reactions: sooshii

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Spaghetti is in the instant pot for lunch/dinner. I can tell a difference in the quality of the ground beef I got from the restaurant as opposed to what I normally get in the grocery store. It browned up a lot nicer. Hopefully it will taste fantastic too.

The problem with buying in bulk is portioning it out to freeze. I hate doing that. But I'm thankful to have ground beef at all.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
for those who love to watch any food related programs, can`t recommend enough Chef`s Table on Netflix, such a great show. far less about recipe hunting, far more about finding out about the backgrounds of some of the most praised chef`s out there, what drives them, the cost being a chef has on their mental health and families

Emotional, the most consistent message I have gotten is be true to yourself. If you have a passion for something, do everything to try and achieve what your goal is rather than say "coulda shoulda woulda"

I just fell on this show and it`s really gotten me thinking about things which is, of course, compounded with the fact I`ve had loads of time to do so sitting at home as much as we are being asked to. I absolutely love baking, not so much cooking but I could bake 16 hours a day and still want to do more. Starting to investigate things I could do once the world settles a bit to pursue my passion.

Can second this. Great show. I love watching all kinds of cooking shows but this one is solid.

Love breakfast for dinner. Can't go wrong with that ever...Needs some bacon tho heh

Went to Whole Foods today. They are only letting in a certain amount, had lines on the ground every 6 feet outside for people to wait.

Scored the last 3 pack of boneless chicken breasts. Feels like I won an Olympic gold medal.

Our stop n shop did the same..Has markers all over the floor about being 6ft. Tho theyve been letting in anyone it seems.

Thank you, Kowloon, for the scorpion bowl and mai tai mixes to go!

View attachment 340354 View attachment 340355

LOVE that place. When I lived in Malden I went their all the time...Their scorpion bowls are great haha

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Two almost fails tonight for cooking.

Put together an absolutely first-rate banana bread. Get it in the oven. 10 minutes later, the oven door locks....We panic. Tried everything to get it open....Google, no help. Finally get it open; try again 2 times, same result. :( Finally I say...turn the oven off, let it sit and cook.
We think it's a goner--even tried putting it in the toaster oven.

Flash forward....Using the Instapot. Tried to make beef stroganov. Missing the seal ring (which we didn't know) so it just kept steaming. It cooked the meat anyway, so we threw it all in a pot on the stove. (found the seal ring after the fact). Tasted ok.

Flash forward. Trevor goes to throw away the now fairly crispy banana bread. He tips it upside down and it basically cooked almost all the way through. So, we popped the "less done" part into the toaster oven. I think it's edible.

We were due for a stinker. We made two flawless lemon pies and a bunch of dinners earlier in the week.

Need to figure out why our oven is going into cleaning mode, randomly. :ha::huh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Posted this in the main Corona thread, but it is worth reposting here as a tribute to the front line workers getting us food. A long time ago I was a grocery store worker who took lot of shit from crappy customers, and this guy is my hero:

Reactions: sooshii

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That ricochet shot at Shaw’s at the beginning has me dying laughing. So unnecessary. So hilarious.

I got spicy chicken vindaloo for lunch. It was good. Supporting local restaurants with takeout! Yet another example of me being a hero ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad