Confirmed with Link: Foligno to Toronto for TOR 1st 2021, 4th 2022

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
And these types of moves are exactly what the vast amount of “CBJ fans” around here and on Twitter wanted to happen.

The problem isn’t about “character” or “grit vs. talent”.

What the CBJ team used to be FULL OF was GOOD TWO WAY PLAYERS. Players not only WILLING to give effort, but, actually SMART and GOOD all over the ice.

Exactly what makes a TEAM a good team. Grit AND talent.

But, “it wasn’t good enough”.

Need more goalzzzzzzzz!!!!! Entertainment!!!

The football fans and consensus got what they wanted.
It wasn’t good enough, ever. Unless you’re happy winning one round? Skill cannot be taught, physicality/checking can be developed.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It wasn’t good enough, ever. Unless you’re happy winning one round? Skill cannot be taught, physicality/checking can be developed.

this is literally what Jarmo and Torts are trying to do.

I don't think you can teach physicality. Checking yes. Skill can be developed if you have something to work with. Some guys are naturals others have it within themselves to be better some are just hopeless.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't think you can teach physicality. Checking yes. Skill can be developed if you have something to work with. Some guys are naturals others have it within themselves to be better some are just hopeless.
I was going to post the same thing. You'd better check your reasoning:laugh:

Reactions: EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would be interested in a reassessment of this now that another year has passed.

By those metrics Foligno was well short of being a $5.5m caliber player this year, which seems fair.

By the way, TheAthletic purchased some data from SportLogiq as part of it's trade deadline analysis. SportLogiq is the firm that does the detailed advanced analytics stuff that is lightyears better than the possession stuff that we have publicly available. Tracking data stock watch: Who is rising and falling after deadline additions?

I'm not a subscriber so I can't tell you what it says (help!) but parts of it were quoted on the Leafs board and it was quite flattering for Foligno.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think Foligno has played for Toronto yet. Here is an excerpt from the article

"Foligno is a nearly ideal option for Toronto on the left wing of John Tavares and William Nylander. That’s because he managed a 65.3 percent offensive zone possession success rate (how often he makes a successful play in the offensive zone — completed pass, shot on goal, beating defender one on one), the 13th best mark among all NHL forwards this season (minimum 300 minutes played)."

So it is all speculative based on the above stats. Kind of wonder if he was that good why he was traded?
I guess it is hoped for "fit".

Reactions: majormajor

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
What if Foligno succeed as a 1st liner in Toronto ?
Because, you know, we are sure here in Columbus that he is not more than a 3rd line grinder or so :sarcasm:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Because, you know, we are sure here in Columbus that he is not more than a 3rd line grinder :sarcasm:

I honestly have little doubt that he will do great.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
On Toronto he can be sort of like Tom Wilson on the line with Ovechkin and Backstrom. It makes some sense. We didn’t have the horses for him to play that role in Columbus.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Because, you know, we are sure here in Columbus that he is not more than a 3rd line grinder or so :sarcasm:

I have been critical of his play for the Jackets for a few years, but I would love to see him do well. I still want Toronto to lose in the 1st round but that is selfishly just for a higher pick.

So the looming question is did the Blue Jacket system hold Nick Foligno down, or is he best suited to the 3rd line? It doesn't get any better than a line with Matthews & Marner.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have been critical of his play for the Jackets for a few years, but I would love to see him do well. I still want Toronto to lose in the 1st round but that is selfishly just for a higher pick.

So the looming question is did the Blue Jacket system hold Nick Foligno down, or is he best suited to the 3rd line? It doesn't get any better than a line with Matthews & Marner.

Nothing held Foligno down, he was a good and useful player for us. There were times in recent seasons where he was used as a topline complement (e.g. with PLD and Bjorkstrand) and did his support job well. Obviously he'd score more if he sticks with Matthews and Marner but that's true for literally everybody. I think people saw Foligno playing heavy minutes and put blame on the player for not being a big scorer. But every topline needs complementary guys. The fact that we seemed at times to have nothing but complementary types is not the fault of those particular players.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm going to laugh when he puts up near PPG numbers with Toronto and people are going to point that as proof that Torts is holding this team back. Watch, you'll see it.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I caught a few minutes of the Toronto game. I think Captain Nick is a sound acquisition for the mostly soft Maple Leafs.

It's really cool that Foligno is getting a chance to play for this team. His dad played there at the end of his career ironically. Toronto is a premier hockey city and Foligno deserves to experience something like that in his career. Playing with Matthews and Marner is super cool as well.

As much as I rip on Jarmo, my hat is off to him for trading this warrior to a team where he can have a great experience both on and off the ice.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I don't blame him for getting an opportunity to play for the cup and even though he'll never say it publicly, it sounds like he was getting worn down by the circle of suck here in Columbus and he is refreshed now in a new situation.

I now think that he will not be back now that he can see the grass is greener on the other side.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I don't blame him for getting an opportunity to play for the cup and even though he'll never say it publicly, it sounds like he was getting worn down by the circle of suck here in Columbus and he is refreshed now in a new situation.

I now think that he will not be back now that he can see the grass is greener on the other side.
There is a huge mental difference between being expected to be THE leader in the room and knowing that you can just be a passenger. In the short term, he can go out, do his best within the team structure, and go along for the ride. Mentally, this is probably a huge weight off his shoulders and he can go just have fun. We'll have to see about long term. Maybe he likes the challenge of the weight on his shoulders, maybe he's tired of it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think the Nick thing will have something to do with the occasional scuttlebutt regarding ‘the organization’.

His family is here and is happy, presumably. I’m sure he misses his guys. But what about his bosses, and his bosses’ bosses? Nick has worked at the culture in the room but what about the rest of the org?

How many of us have stuck around a job that was rough because we liked our co-workers, or at least felt obliged toward them? Or how many of us have had a job we lived but a shitty boss or a shitty work environment?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I think the Nick thing will have some that I do with the occasional scuttlebutt regarding ‘the organization’.

His family is here and is happy, presumably. I’m sure he misses his guys. But what about his bosses, and his bosses’ bosses? Nick has worked at the culture in the room but what about the rest of the org?

How many of us have stuck around a job that was rough because we liked our co-workers, or at least felt obliged toward them? Or how many of us have had a job we lived but a shitty boss or a shitty work environment?

I did exactly that for 3-4 years at my previous employer. The guys in the shop were great to be around and the PMs were awesome people for the short time most of them were there but the owner and upper management group (mostly his family) were some the most self centered thought they could do no wrong my way or the highway people I have ever met. The employee turnover was insane and the company had a problem keeping their best PMs due to the way they treated them. Finally one day I had enough and put in my notice without another job lined up. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I think the Nick thing will have some that I do with the occasional scuttlebutt regarding ‘the organization’.

I radically altered my career trajectory due to a terrible boss. As I was struggling with my decision, a wise friend told me "most people don't quit their job, they quit their boss."

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad