Confirmed with Link: Foligno to Toronto for TOR 1st 2021, 4th 2022

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jody said he thinks Nick will live here but that it’s time for the organization to move on.

If he really has any inside knowledge, then it doesn’t look good for Nick. Could be just Jody offering an opinion, and I try not to over-read into things, but knowing he’s an employee and a friend of Nick’s and with all the immediate ‘we’ll miss you Captain’ stuff on social....

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
hard pass on that. Nicest guy by all accounts but not a very good hockey player. Lets not overhype what Nick has done on the ice.
Well, if Torts is still coach, he'll certainly play him higher on the roster than he should. For the right money and role (a bottom 6 grinder guy who kills penalties and nothing higher), he needs to be on the team for what he brings to the locker room. Perhaps another coach will keep him where he belongs. If anyone else on the team shows an ounce of leadership I could be OK for him to not come back. I'm still waiting to see it.

If he is going to come back here and think he's going to play top 6 and try to score 30 next year like he talked about, perhaps it is time to move on. His role in Toronto is going to be exactly what he should have been doing here.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I’ve come around on this and I think it’s time to move on as well. Too many people need paid on this team and too many upgrades are needed to have a retirement tour. I’d be ok with more losing if it’s young guys developing.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jody said he thinks Nick will live here but that it’s time for the organization to move on.

If he really has any inside knowledge, then it doesn’t look good for Nick. Could be just Jody offering an opinion, and I try not to over-read into things, but knowing he’s an employee and a friend of Nick’s and with all the immediate ‘we’ll miss you Captain’ stuff on social....

Im not sure Jody has the inside info. He was the same guy who thought Elvis was starting game 1 against Toronto. And I realize that’s just one prediction, but I don’t know how connected he is to the inner workings of the team.

However, I also vaguely remember Jody speaking a few hours before the Saad deal on the development camp live stream and hinted that a “trade could be coming today.” So who knows.

I do think Foligno will be back though. I don’t really see the downside even if you’re “reloading.” Ideally Foligno is a third liner, and if we can make that happen why not do it?

Jody has been outwardly negative about the team in recent months.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Im not sure Jody has the inside info. He was the same guy who thought Elvis was starting game 1 against Toronto. And I realize that’s just one prediction, but I don’t know how connected he is to the inner workings of the team.

However, I also vaguely remember Jody speaking a few hours before the Saad deal on the development camp live stream and hinted that a “trade could be coming today.” So who knows.

I do think Foligno will be back though. I don’t really see the downside even if you’re “reloading.” Ideally Foligno is a third liner, and if we can make that happen why not do it?

Jody has been outwardly negative about the team in recent months.

What is Jody's username on here?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
If we don't get Nick back then I'd want us to look for others to re-stock the leadership with. I don't think we can pull a room together without character guys. So having said that, obviously you might as well get Nick, the guy who we already know can be a really effective leader and a spokesman for the team and city. I think some folks here are underestimating the value from the public relations stuff. Most captains don't do half as much team boosting and city boosting stuff as Nick. He's going to outshine Tavares in Toronto. I'd love it if Seth Jones had that kind of personality, he'd be a very marketable star, but that's not him.

Per Hockeydb Foligno has not produced 40 points per season let alone come close to the 73 of his contract year. Pretty sure he was paid to sustain or exceed 70 per year. Would he take the 2-2.5M that Moe suggested, very doubtful. Compared to Chara, Seth is down right charismatic. The CBJ haven't been marketed very well to date, but I will not miss the Foligno special commercials. I actually love Foligno on the 3rd line but he isn't capable of eating the minutes that he has been given on the CBJ. The Leafs must really disagree with me. Heres hoping they get bounced in that 1st round.

Reactions: JacketFanInFL

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
He hasn't been all that useful in years on the ice anyway. Fine he's a good captain, but he was another overpriced player that failed to deliver most games. Move on, players like him aren't rare. Make Jones the captain and get him resigned.

Last edited by a moderator:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
To me if we get him at the right price and for the right role (3rd, 4th line) then I'm ok with it assuming the new coach is ok with it.
I still think he did a fine job as captain. Also I would assume he would be fine giving up the C especially to Jones (maybe even Jenner) - again I don't know that for a fact just my guess.
No his production is not there, but if you pay him under $3M and a shorter contract I'm ok with it. But lot of things to get sorted out (how much he wants, shorter deal, understanding his role, new coach is ok with it, etc).

Reactions: thebus88

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Well, Doug Maclean isn't here any more so maybe he doesn't need to worry about being "Jim Day'd" this year.

I'm pretty sure Jim Day was removed during Howson's time as GM but it would have been something that loud-mouthed schmuck would have done.

Doug MacLean is the human version of Foghorn Leghorn.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Well, Doug Maclean isn't here any more so maybe he doesn't need to worry about being "Jim Day'd" this year.

Jody was just on with 97.1 and pointed out that they need to make a decision on the Coach. Said he thinks Torts may realize that his time here has come to an end. We do not have the players to fit that style of hockey, we have been collecting skill (Texier, Bemstrom ever Bjork & now Laine) not the heavy players of the past. Jody said Laine hasn't done enough and Lauranitis & Bishop aren't knowledgeable enough to ask if any former Jacket ever scored 3 goals on 3 successive shots.

Said once they settle on a coach the focus is on Jones, if he resigns you retool, if he doesn't that will force a rebuild.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Nick was one of the few guys left from the Howson days - Savard, too. Howson drafted Cam and Boone, and I believe that's it (Korpi too).

Only 10 guys remain from the 23 guys who dressed in the 2019 playoffs (per The Athletic). I believe it's Cam, Bjorkstrand, Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov, Texier, Jenner, Kukan, Harrington, and Korpisalo. That's just a lot of turnover in less than two years.

Given the cap situation, I don't know what # Foligno would accept to come back. But this team needs to figure itself out up front. Gone are Dubois, Panarin, Anderson, Dubinsky, and maybe Foligno. That's a lot of guys who were really hard to knock off the puck in the offensive zone. Are there any guys like that on the roster now?

So, sure, if it's a "reload" or "retool" and Foligno can accept an AAV ~$3m, I guess bring him back as captain. If not, it looks like the captaincy may be dangled to Jones, if Portzline is to believed. But if Jones *AND* Foligno turn it down? Yikes. That would signal a full on rebuild to me.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jody was just on with 97.1 and pointed out that they need to make a decision on the Coach. Said he thinks Torts may realize that his time here has come to an end. We do not have the players to fit that style of hockey, we have been collecting skill (Texier, Bemstrom ever Bjork & now Laine) not the heavy players of the past. Jody said Laine hasn't done enough and Lauranitis & Bishop aren't knowledgeable enough to ask if any former Jacket ever scored 3 goals on 3 successive shots.

Said once they settle on a coach the focus is on Jones, if he resigns you retool, if he doesn't that will force a rebuild.
He ain't wrong.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll go out on a limb and say that Bjorkstrand might make a good captain, at least as far as on-ice leadership goes. He always plays the right way.

Reactions: Monstershockey

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure Jim Day was removed during Howson's time as GM but it would have been something that loud-mouthed schmuck would have done.

Doug MacLean is the human version of Foghorn Leghorn.
I recall Day was given grief from above when in a post game wrap against the Wild he said “Minnesota” in a heavy Scandinavian accent during a time he’d apparently fell out of favor.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I recall Day was given grief from above when in a post game wrap against the Wild he said “Minnesota” in a heavy Scandinavian accent during a time he’d apparently fell out of favor.

I don't recall that incident; I had always thought he was let go since he was making a big deal about the Jackets clinching their first ever playoff spot when the rest of the broadcast team was being told not to make a big deal of it that night.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Jim Day was fired because he mentioned after the playoff-clinching win vs Chicago in 2009 that CBJ had clinched “their first ever playoff berth”. He was told from above not to mention that because it drew attention to how dreadful we had been to that point, but mentioned it anyway in the heat of the moment. So silly.

Edit: Jive beat me to it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad