Confirmed with Link: Foligno to Toronto for TOR 1st 2021, 4th 2022

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Of course I want him back. I think he can be an extremely valuable leader if the team chooses to go the rebuild route. I’ve also hoped he would finish his career here.

Since the trade I’ve always doubted it will happen. It truly felt like the end.

Unless we’re prepared to offer a 3-4 year deal, and possibly the C, what’s in it for him to choose us (besides all the off the ice reasons of currently living here, nice city, yada yada). I can’t see a 2 year deal and non-leadership role getting it done with us.

Gut says he joins the Wild. And I could live with that.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Of course I want him back. I think he can be an extremely valuable leader if the team chooses to go the rebuild route. I’ve also hoped he would finish his career here.

Since the trade I’ve always doubted it will happen. It truly felt like the end.

Unless we’re prepared to offer a 3-4 year deal, and possibly the C, what’s in it for him to choose us (besides all the off the ice reasons of currently living here, nice city, yada yada). I can’t see a 2 year deal and non-leadership role getting it done with us.

Gut says he joins the Wild. And I could live with that.
I'd like him back as well. Given that it's going to be a near rebuild at the least, he'd fit the veteran leader role pretty well.

However, he's at the point where anything more than a 2 year low dollar ($1.5-2 million) deal would be too much term and payment.

He's made a ton of money in his career ($45 million per cap friendly). He's the poster child for giving the proverbial "home town discount". If he won't come back on the cheap, then it's "thanks for a job well done and all the memories and best of luck to you" time.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'd like him back as well. Given that it's going to be a near rebuild at the least, he'd fit the veteran leader role pretty well.

However, he's at the point where anything more than a 2 year low dollar ($1.5-2 million) deal would be too much term and payment.

He's made a ton of money in his career ($45 million per cap friendly). He's the poster child for giving the proverbial "home town discount". If he won't come back on the cheap, then it's "thanks for a job well done and all the memories and best of luck to you" time.
I get it. That’s why I’m fine if it doesn’t happen. He’ll be 34 this October. I think he has 2-3 solid years left in him. I think he will understand his next deal will be a significant pay cut — but I don’t see him taking pennies just because it’s CBJ.

It comes down to is he OK with just a 2 year deal? Is he ok with a reduced role on a rebuilding team? If not, he’s definitely going elsewhere and that’s fine. Maybe he’s OK with the above but wants to be chasing a cup, not teaching youngins the ropes. Understandable either way.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m ok with Nick returning on a 2 year deal at a low AAV ($1.5M). I wouldn’t reinstall him as Captain and am confident he can provide locker room leadership without the C. (I’m for not naming a C next year).

That Jones I sent returning lessens concerns about Nick drawing away from Seth’s anticipated wearing of the C. In bringing Nick back, I’d see him as a 13 minute plus PK duties TOI playing bottom 6 with Jenner and maybe Robinson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m ok with Nick returning on a 2 year deal at a low AAV ($1.5M). I wouldn’t reinstall him as Captain and am confident he can provide locker room leadership without the C. (I’m for not naming a C next year).

That Jones I sent returning lessens concerns about Nick drawing away from Seth’s anticipated wearing of the C. In bringing Nick back, I’d see him as a 13 minute plus PK duties TOI playing bottom 6 with Jenner and maybe Robinson.

Personally I've never been a Jones for captain guy, didn't think he had the right temperament. And I've also never cared if the captain is a journeyman or bottom sixer either. Derek Mackenzie was a good captain. Foligno could be a good captain and help re-instill the right culture. I think to do that it helps for him to have the C back on his jersey. If you have a better candidate in a year or two then swap the C at that point.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Of course I’d love to have Nick back, but if he has any desire to win the cup in his final fading years, it’s not going to be here. At that point he’s just coming back for a paycheck and loyalty (which I’m fine with). Maybe he goes to Minny to play with his brother, they’re light years ahead of us right now

Reactions: Xoggz22

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

I hope for his sake he gets an offer from another team. I expect him back with a nice healthy raise because with a rebuild we won't be trying to win hockey games.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Nick Foligno didn't score a goal in the playoffs for Toronto. It's hilarious to me they paid a 1st for him, just as it was at the time of the trade.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Isn't it too late for that? :)

Maybe some flowers
upload_2021-6-2_13-19-32.gif

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
described as the 2nd worst trade in TML history.. wouldn't have mattered the way Price was playing.
I find it hard to believe people thought Nick Foligno is the difference maker and was going to carry them to the cup. He could have been an important piece of the puzzle of other people did their job. Alas, other people didn't do their job.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
TML scouts were probably pretty unimpressed by the draft class too - or uncertain about it.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I find it hard to believe people thought Nick Foligno is the difference maker and was going to carry them to the cup. He could have been an important piece of the puzzle of other people did their job. Alas, other people didn't do their job.

TML scouts were probably pretty unimpressed by the draft class too - or uncertain about it.

Or they just massively overpaid

TML gave up a 1st round pick in the late 20's, and two 4th rounders - for 4 assists, a couple whiffs from the crease, a fight with Corey Perry and an impassioned speech about how much he wanted to play for Toronto. He hurt himself colliding with #34 AM on the ice. The fight with Perry was questioned and called old school (retaliation for Perry colliding with JT). Clearly someone on TML's staff told Foligno he was being brought in to add some grit and I think he tried real hard to do that. For whatever reason Foligno did not move well in the series with Montreal. Being immobile is generally not a positive trait in a hockey game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
TML gave up a 1st round pick in the late 20's, and two 4th rounders - for 4 assists, a couple whiffs from the crease, a fight with Corey Perry and an impassioned speech about how much he wanted to play for Toronto. He hurt himself colliding with #34 AM on the ice. The fight with Perry was questioned and called old school (retaliation for Perry colliding with JT). Clearly someone on TML's staff told Foligno he was being brought in to add some grit and I think he tried real hard to do that. For whatever reason Foligno did not move well in the series with Montreal. Being immobile is generally not a positive trait in a hockey game.

There's no mystery here. He was still injured.

If Foligno was healthy he'd have been exactly what the Leafs needed. Forget the fights. They needed that heavy forecheck and intensity that Foligno brings. It's what they were missing in games 5-7. It looked like they were playing a routine regular season game, with no pushback, while Montreal was in playoff-intensity mode.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Is there room for him? Chinakov coming, hopefully steps forward for Bemmer, Robinson...not sure there's a roster spot?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Is there room for him? Chinakov coming, hopefully steps forward for Bemmer, Robinson...not sure there's a roster spot?

Assuming zero roster moves, and since you have Robinson there I’ll just give Seattle Kukan.

W (locks): Nyquist, Laine, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Bemstrom, Hoffman, Robinson
C: Roslovic
Hybrid: Domi, Jenner, Texier

Fighting for a spot: Chinakhov, Danforth, Stenlund, Sherwood, 1st round pick

11 locks.

yeah I think there’s room. But it likely forces Chinakhov back to Russia. I put Hoffman in lock because there’s no chance he would come offer without assurance he’s starting in the NHL, but at the same time Chinakhov was maybe given the same promise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad