Confirmed with Link: Foligno to Toronto for TOR 1st 2021, 4th 2022

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Nick thing will have something to do with the occasional scuttlebutt regarding ‘the organization’.

His family is here and is happy, presumably. I’m sure he misses his guys. But what about his bosses, and his bosses’ bosses? Nick has worked at the culture in the room but what about the rest of the org?

How many of us have stuck around a job that was rough because we liked our co-workers, or at least felt obliged toward them? Or how many of us have had a job we lived but a shitty boss or a shitty work environment?

Do we have any intel to suggest Nick was unhappy with management? All he does is effusively praise them, "first class", etc... He's had to field so many questions about playing in Columbus and why guys left and he will go on and on about how great the org is from top to bottom.

By the way, there was a great conversation between Nick and Methot on Methot's podcast and they gave the city of Columbus a lot of love - "a place you never want to leave", etc...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Do we have any intel to suggest Nick was unhappy with management? All he does is effusively praise them, "first class", etc... He's had to field so many questions about playing in Columbus and why guys left and he will go on and on about how great the org is from top to bottom.

By the way, there was a great conversation between Nick and Methot on Methot's podcast and they gave the city of Columbus a lot of love - "a place you never want to leave", etc...

I don’t think we do and the post wasn’t meant to suggest such, although I can see how it might.

The point is we’ve heard speculation about some players feeling the organization wasn’t first-rate. The Nick situation may (or may not) shine some light on that, or at least provide (or not) fuel to that speculation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t think we do and the post wasn’t meant to suggest such, although I can see how it might.

The point is we’ve heard speculation about some players feeling the organization wasn’t first-rate. The Nick situation may (or may not) shine some light on that, or at least provide (or not) fuel to that speculation.

How will anything with Nick shed any light on that? He signs elsewhere = he must hate Jarmo? That's weak stuff.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How will anything with Nick shed any light on that? He signs elsewhere = he must hate Jarmo? That's weak stuff.

I don’t think it’s about Jarmo. I apologize I’m not going out of my way to provide the proper context.

But yes, I think it has the potential to lend credence to claims about the organization, fairly or not.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don’t think it’s about Jarmo. I apologize I’m not going out of my way to provide the proper context.

But yes, I think it has the potential to lend credence to claims about the organization, fairly or not.

At the very least it provides credibility to the notion that its not about the city, its about the organization.

I could be wrong but I heard Foligno talk glowingly about the team and city, but not really about the organization. But at the same time I don't think he and Jarmo would really be that close or interact that often, and obviously he speaks glowingly of Torts. So I could just be talking nonsense.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I don't think Foligno signing elsewhere lends credence to or provides credibility to any theory. By itself it tells you nothing.

People will surely interpret it as providing credibility even though I agree that it absolutely does not. So in a sense it does provide credibility even though it's absolute bullshit.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

“gentlemen’s offer” to me doesn’t sound like an actual we want you back offer. Portzline seems to imply that he believes Foligno is done here.

And honestly if the captaincy is part of the pitch to get jones to stay, I don’t see how you bring back Foligno. That would be way too awkward to have the former captain and current captain together that close together.

seems like Foligno is done here, surprisingly

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

“gentlemen’s offer” to me doesn’t sound like an actual we want you back offer. Portzline seems to imply that he believes Foligno is done here.

And honestly if the captaincy is part of the pitch to get jones to stay, I don’t see how you bring back Foligno. That would be way too awkward to have the former captain and current captain together that close together.

seems like Foligno is done here, surprisingly

His goodbyes sounded pretty final to me when he left at the TDL, I was more surprised by the tone back then than this report

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Feel bad for Nick, was pulling for the Leafs to win it all for him, but do have to (perhaps shamefully) admit that I do always get entertainment out of the Leafs media/fans meltdown in these scenarios.
Seen on reddit while waiting for HF to come back up...

rzs0olhi5k271.jpg

Reactions: LazyCircuits

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
So do we want him back?

I weirdly think I'd prefer him back on a really cheap deal (I'm talking like $1 million) in like the 2023-24 season. I'm not really sure what he'd add to next year's team given that I think it'll be year 1 of a rebuild. I of course wouldn't complain if we do, though. And I think we should if we win the lottery and then choose to flip that pick for immediate help and then flip Jones for Marner or something and try a "reload" mode.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Nah not really

Id still take him under a 2 year deal. We’re going to need veterans to show the kids the way. And I understand Foligno is sort of the symbol of the old team that’s not here anymore, but he’s also a really good captain and team ambassador. He would steer the locker room in the right way.

Now I don’t actually expect this to happen. I think he could re-sign in Toronto for dirt cheap to chase a title or sign in Minnesota to play with his brother. But I would still take him back.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I wouldn’t sign Foligno this year. We need a clean break with the past to see if any leaders emerge. If Werenski or Bjork or someone steps up this upcoming season and takes the role of the next captain, then maybe add Nick on a cheap deal to finish his career where he belongs in Columbus. But don’t hamper the process of the next leadership group finding it’s groove by bringing back the old captain right away. Let him stay in Toronto or play with his brother or chase a cup somewhere else.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So do we want him back?

Id still take him under a 2 year deal. We’re going to need veterans to show the kids the way. And I understand Foligno is sort of the symbol of the old team that’s not here anymore, but he’s also a really good captain and team ambassador. He would steer the locker room in the right way.

Now I don’t actually expect this to happen. I think he could re-sign in Toronto for dirt cheap to chase a title or sign in Minnesota to play with his brother. But I would still take him back.

My initial answer to your first question was no.

After reading your second I wavered a bit but again came to the same conclusion. I don't think the captaincy makes that much difference. I mean look at the way last season played out. If he was/is the answer to the problems with the team I don't get it. I think as clean a break with the old as possible is the way to go.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
My initial answer to your first question was no.

After reading your second I wavered a bit but again came to the same conclusion. I don't think the captaincy makes that much difference. I mean look at the way last season played out. If he was/is the answer to the problems with the team I don't get it. I think as clean a break with the old as possible is the way to go.

I don’t think he’s the answer to making us a winning team on the ice. I’m just saying I think he’d be a valuable member in the locker room to help set the standard to the new guys and young players. It’s going to be a little bit before we’re ready to start winning again, but Foligno helped set the culture here. We’re going to need to do that again if we decide to rebuild, and I think a guy like Foligno could help do that.

Im not going to be crushed if he’s not signed but I’d try to bring him back personally. Unless of course he wants to ring chase or is too expensive.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Right after he was traded I was completely ‘he’s coming back’.

Then I got used to the idea that he probably wasn’t, and decided I was not only OK with it, it was probably for the best.

But with the Leafs early exit it definitely has me thinking that Jarmo should at least talk to him.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I don’t think he’s the answer to making us a winning team on the ice. I’m just saying I think he’d be a valuable member in the locker room to help set the standard to the new guys and young players. It’s going to be a little bit before we’re ready to start winning again, but Foligno helped set the culture here. We’re going to need to do that again if we decide to rebuild, and I think a guy like Foligno could help do that.

Im not going to be crushed if he’s not signed but I’d try to bring him back personally. Unless of course he wants to ring chase or is too expensive.

I agree. I would bring him back almost solely as an on-ice mentor role. Platoon the C for the season as young teams do, make him one of them and then tell him his job is to show the young players how to be pros, and also see if he can develop some leadership skills in 1 or 2 of them.

I don't think we have any players who right now have the "gravitas" to be a good captain so that needs to be developed, and Foligno would be someone I'd trust could do it.

ETA: My opinion, next season is largely about getting things turned around off-ice/in the lockeroom. The new coach is going to need someone in the lockeroom that he can partner with to mold the group (less needed if it's Larsen, who'll already know the group). Foligno would almost become part of the management team the way I'm thinking: JD > Jarmo > Head Coach > Foligno.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I agree. I would bring him back almost solely as an on-ice mentor role. Platoon the C for the season as young teams do, make him one of them and then tell him his job is to show the young players how to be pros, and also see if he can develop some leadership skills in 1 or 2 of them.

I don't think we have any players who right now have the "gravitas" to be a good captain so that needs to be developed, and Foligno would be someone I'd trust could do it.

ETA: My opinion, next season is largely about getting things turned around off-ice/in the lockeroom. The new coach is going to need someone in the lockeroom that he can partner with to mold the group (less needed if it's Larsen, who'll already know the group). Foligno would almost become part of the management team the way I'm thinking: JD > Jarmo > Head Coach > Foligno.

I trust Boone to shepherd the young'uns the next couple of years, and I think he will be the next captain now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I agree in general with what you're saying here but I have to add that I hadn't thought of it in the way you're expressing it and as I think of the idea of the captain being a link between the head coach and the locker room, 1) bringing Foligno back and 2) giving him a letter is something the new coach really needs to be on board with.

If you hire Larsen, this probably isn't as much of an issue.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->