Confirmed with Link: Flyers trade Ryan Hartman to Dallas for Tyler Pitlick

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Pitlick cost $1M for next year before turning UFA. So they probably saved at least $1-1.5M from what they would have had to pay Hartman.

I’m guessing this & Sanheim’s contract leads more credence to them signing a 3W in free agency & Hartman never in the cards for it.

It could also mean that someone like Provy and TK could be getting more money than we thought as well. But honestly... who would even be a good 3RW candidate that would fit our budget? Apparently Donskoi wants 2nd line money, I'm sure Ferland could get that much.

I think we should still try to get Frost going on RW with Patrick and Lindblom.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
the good news is there is less danger of Pitlick playing that 3RW spot than there was Hartman. so, i feel better that either Frost will make the team, or at least there will be a better player there. Hartman just isn't a consistent enough player anymore to be top 9. and too expensive to be 4th line.

Yep, he's terrible.

Reactions: bauer

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It could also mean that someone like Provy and TK could be getting more money than we thought as well. But honestly... who would even be a good 3RW candidate that would fit our budget? Apparently Donskoi wants 2nd line money, I'm sure Ferland could get that much.

I think we should still try to get Frost going on RW with Patrick and Lindblom.

Simmer

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think you're underestimating it. Fletch said there were multi-pick packages for Wayne Simmonds and he opted for Ryan Hartman, who could make an impact, was more important than picks and prospects.
Those picks would've been late 2nds at best. Sure, in hindsight that would've been the better choice, but not a game changer.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think it's something that's out of his hands to be honest. If the rumblings are true then Provorov wants something in the range of 8M and Fletch has no ground to stand on to oppose him; he absolutely cannot afford for this team to start off with Provy un-signed.
He is rfa and isnt arbitration eligible either. If he asks for unreasonable deal we can wait. LA and Anaheim both waited for Doughty and Lindholm until November or whatever. No need to lose our minds just yet.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
So if Pitlick is healthy and plays the full season he pretty much provides the same offense but much better defense. The only problem is that he needs to be healthy.

It’s a fair deal. Also shows that we are getting players on shorter deals to accommodate the influx of younger players we will soon have.

Reactions: Kuola

Cable

Feb 13, 2010
Paul Holmgren, please fire Chuck Fletcher ASAP!!!

This might be his worst trade yet. Has Chuck Fletcher done anything positive since taking over as our GM?

Ryan Hartman would go through a wall to make a play. Tyler Pitlick would ask someone else to do it for him and still get hurt.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Those picks would've been late 2nds at best. Sure, in hindsight that would've been the better choice, but not a game changer.

I'd much rather have the late 2nds than a 4th line scrub we could sign at the end of Free Agency.

And no: at the time, I think most of us agreed picks would've been better than Ryan Hartman. Not just hindsight.

Reactions: VladDrag

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Paul Holmgren, please fire Chuck Fletcher ASAP!!!

This might be his worst trade yet. Has Chuck Fletcher done anything positive since taking over as our GM?

Ryan Hartman would go through a wall to make a play. Tyler Pitlick would ask someone else to do it for him and still get hurt.
What an overreaction for a 4th liner traded for another 4th liner

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Possibly. I wonder if it is OK at that point to talk about the possibility of Frosty being blocked, or at least slightly hindered.

If they could sign a legitimate bargain to a 1 year $3-4M deal that wouldn’t be the worst thing. But if it was a guy like Simmonds that would be awful as he’s cooked.

My ultimate guess is they had Laughton, Hartman, & Raffl penciled to the fourth line all along. Raffl’s at $1.6M then you had Laughton & Hartman as RFA’s. My guess is both them were/are asking over $2M each, so now the Flyers have $2.6M with Raffl & Pitlick signed on for next year before Laughton’s extension.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Flyers are my second team, although I don’t get to watch them as much as I’d like because of the time zone difference. I’m not sure how Hartman was for us this year, but Pitlick is a quality fourth liner that I think could periodically play on the third line. For their price tags, I think Pitlick brings better value if Hartman is getting 2-3 million.

Stay away with this info, won't be well received

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I was in the Hartman fan club, but if he comes in over 2 mill per year, dont hate this trade.

twitter seems to be saying some decent things for Pitlick as a 4th line winger.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If they could sign a legitimate bargain to a 1 year $3-4M deal that wouldn’t be the worst thing. But if it was a guy like Simmonds that would be awful as he’s cooked.

My ultimate guess is they had Laughton, Hartman, & Raffl penciled to the fourth line all along. Raffl’s at $1.6M then you had Laughton & Hartman as RFA’s. My guess is both them were/are asking over $2M each, so now the Flyers have $2.6M with Raffl & Pitlick signed on for next year before Laughton’s extension.

Who would you rather have, Big Kev and one of Raffl/Hartman/Laughton, OR Raffl and Hartman and Laughton and cap space you can use to put yourself in position to be two years away from being two years away?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't really has an opinion on this other than I'll probably go back over the Hartman trade thread to get a good laugh this summer.

Seems like a penny pinching move. The Simmonds trade was terrible, but at least he didn't hold onto Hartman just to hold onto him. I'll give Fletcher that.

We'll always have that first Hartman shift. It'll go right up there with Goulbourne's first shift that won us that St. Louis game two seasons ago.

Hartman would’ve been the best 4th line winger in the NHL this season. Fletcher pissed away all of the cap space away on washed up vets and Kevin f’ing Hayes, this is just damage control.

Giving away a good player for nothing.
Look at the bright side, your boy might get a chance. Or they'll just wave him and watch Tampa pluck him.
They just got a 1st round talent by trading a 3rd round pick. Open your scope up a bit. Optionality.

People said we could just trade Hartman for picks this summer. Well we just say what happens when you don't have liquid assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad