Flyers trade deadline (Flyers claim J. Oduya off waivers; lose Alt to Colorado)

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
I feel it was another weak trade deadline for Hextall... every year he can talk about this patience and stay the course, at this point the course is turning into a marathon, wake me when your ready to play with the big boys Ron. If you're honestly going to tell me that no one was better then what we already have well I call B.S. You are also the same guy that brought us Weise and Lehtora , Gordon for God's sake... get real. There were moves to be made that you weren't mortgaging the future.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh God, was there a playoff caliber goalie out there? Anyone as good as Mrazek?

One solid defenseman who'd have cost us our 1st, 2nd, Laughton, NAK and Morin to have for this and next season.
And we'd still probably lose in the second round.

Reactions: Defect

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I feel it was another weak trade deadline for Hextall... every year he can talk about this patience and stay the course, at this point the course is turning into a marathon, wake me when your ready to play with the big boys Ron. If you're honestly going to tell me that no one was better then what we already have well I call B.S. You are also the same guy that brought us Weise and Lehtora , Gordon for God's sake... get real. There were moves to be made that you weren't mortgaging the future.

Tbh though who was moved for a reasonable price that could have improved the roster over last few weeks?

Maroon
Letestu (And he is only an upgrade on 4th line... I think Laughton is similar level)
Vanek? (Maybe, and I dont think he really would have upgraded the team tbh)

Kempny
Cole (and he is probably only a marginal upgrade)

Mrazek

That seems like it to me.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Lehtera turned what probably would have been a first and third into two firsts that are bogged down.
Gordon was a low risk "high" reward player that specialized in faceoffs on the fourth line. That didn't pan out so he was sent away.
Weise was signed for far too long of a term.
Adding in a scoring winger, or signing a guy on the back end would help but wouldn't push us over the edge.
What needs to be done is have a coach that plays the best players in the right position, calls up players when they are better than what we have.
What cannot be done is using picks to get rid of bad contracts as that would set us back to where we were.
Patience is still the key.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who is a revelation, under Hextall, there doesn't seem to be a lot of "throwaway draft picks."
And that makes trading for later round draft picks a lot more valuable than previous regimes.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
IFS BUTS and MAYBES.

Mrazek - has every chance to change things a bit like Mason did
Oduya - no brainer pickup but doesn't offer much beyond the bottom of what we, begrudgingly, already have

Does it change much? Well with the injuries in goal most have to say yes in my humble opinion. Mrazek CAN shore us up and it's a case of seeing how he does achieving beyond that. IF he performs then our very own glass nail Neuvy, with respect, should be gone. Elliott sees his year out and provides someone who is happy to share the role and we can re-up Mrazek for a couple of years. Stolie fit again MAY have a little break out IF Hak can be persuaded to actually play him. Hart MAY turn into the tender we hope he will be.

D - does it need Oduya? I have to come back to and say Sanheim MAYBE (based on your view) makes a better choice but we know Hexy likely doesn't move him up and Hak has demonstrated time and time again what he values...... Will Sanheim AND Morin have a chance for a call up? Unlikely. Will they have an opportunity in pre-season? All down to Hexy and how much of the deadweight he clears out. Please no no no to an extension for Manning IF we can't move Amac with a lot retained.

Ghost Provy
Sanheim Gudas
Morin Hagg
Amac / Manning

Mrazek Elliott
Stolie / Lyon / Hart

Forwards - for what has been seemingly a long time we MAY be blessed with too many choices. Lindblom SHOULD stick despite Hak. If Simmer stays we are incredibly strong relative to every other roster. Should Hexy give HAK a chance and maybe MV we're trying to put an awful lot of pegs into their respective holes. Frost COULD emulate Patrick

G Couts TK
Lindblom Patrick Jake - excellent top 9
Raffl Frost Simmer
Weal Laughton NAK - good energetic 4th line
Lehtera Flip Weise

Tremendously excited about upcoming seasons! Hak is a frustratingly slow learner and I think that ultimately means we don't win a cup with him at the helm as you need to adapt in the playoffs across multiple rounds as and when you lose key players to unfortunate injuries etc. Hexy CAN however make roster moves with his drafting and youth to limit the damage Hak CAN do. He just needs to continue on his path IF not be a little bolder by giving the likes of Sanheim, Morin, Stolie etc opportunities when they present themselves

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
2015 turned Kimmo and Coburn into Konecny and Gudas

2017 turned Streit into Filppula and Maxim Shusko

2018 added a good goalie who will probably bridge the gap to Hart or Sandstrom

Seems about right. Very weak deadlines for Hexy.

Most GM's can get assets from trading quality players for draft picks, saw it all day today... SOME of those picks might pan out, some will be career AHLers and
over-valued by their fan bases. I remember when we got Gudas in that deal, I was happy to get a player like him even though he was hurt... still to this day people on this board thinks he's useless.
Filppula is not worth his salary but we had to take him to get a draft pick. Like I said , not even half of these draft picks will make it to the NHL and play on a
consistent bases. Getting Mrazek was a nice pick up but to think there weren't moves to be made today to help us now and not DESTROY our future is just some people being sheep.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
These breakout passes...I’m trying so hard not to fall asleep.

Edit: wrong thread lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad