Flyers trade deadline (Flyers claim J. Oduya off waivers; lose Alt to Colorado)

CocoCrisp

Feb 22, 2018
When you feel like that, just remember:

1. He isn't ****ing Gretzky.
2. He isn't ****ing Lemieux.

He carried the torch for non-Flyers superstars in an otherwise crap era for finding superstars who didn't royally suck. ;)

Your glass half full analogy is much appreciated. I can now return to my regularly scheduled programming of laughing at the Rangers for that ridiculous return.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Outside of Pittsburgh there’s no one in this division that is a cup contending team. Boston, Tampa, & maybe Toronto are the other teams I’d lump in there from the conference. So I don’t really care that other team’s got better or not. The Flyers aren’t good enough & neither are those teams but they paid prices to pretend like they are.

Maybe next year & in all honesty I rather do what Tampa did today (Pittsburgh the other day) & get guys with term & not rentals. Rentals are very often fools gold.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah, I’m pretty annoyed too that Hextall didn’t trade for a third 1D, a couple starting goalies, and maybe another 1C if he had time.

They were being tossed around like crazy, at super low prices.

I don’t understand why he didn’t get one. Seemed obvious to me.
Yeah, I only really want the young guys to play, no need to add just yet unless the price is right.

Reactions: Striiker

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Hextall I'm sure was trying to be active but the good thing is is that he will not be ripped off in a trade. The team is in a great place for now an the future because of the moves Hextall has made.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Kind of curious what their main motive was for claiming Oduya. Did they just want to upgrade Alt and let him play games in LHV or was this to make sure they didn't have to play Sanheim in the playoffs if it came down to it?

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Dats it? Oh well....whaddaya gonna Oduya....

1913_Holmgren_600.jpg

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley
I am pleased that Hextall didn't pay any insane prices at this deadline. This year I believe that he wants to get the kids some playoff experience and make some moves in the off season that make sense, while bringing up some more of the young guys. I would have loved someone that made sense (Domi ,Reinhart, or a real big stretch Jenner. Who I think would have been a perfect replacement for Simmonds. If we trade him.) Or dump one of the useless wonders (Manning, Flip, Lehtera or Weiss.) But again insane prices which he rightly wasn't willing to pay.

Also, I think he's more of a draft day type of GM anyway, which if we see something happen it will be around that time.

The only thing I'm upset about is Manning being on this roster when there is someone that is clearly better right now In the AHL with NHL experience that wasn't utilized correctly while here. Because our head coach can't adapt to anything within a reasonable time frame.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Just looking at the Rangers they would have had 6 (2 1st, 2 2nd, & 2 3rd) picks in the first three rounds this year even without Tampa’s pick. Gorton said after today this was just the start & theres going to be more teardown. So imagine Zuccarello & Kreider are other trade chips to be moved especially the former since he’s going into his last year of his contract next year. They drafted twice in the first round last year with Lias Andersson & Filip Chytil (who looks like he could really overshoot his projection).

That makes me think they should have held out for more quality in that trade even more.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hextall was smart. Don’t mortgage the future on a Hail Mary Cup bid.

With Lindblom hopefully staying up and Simmonds coming back soon they have a very competitive 4 lines.

Their D isn’t great, but the first pair is top notch and the rest do a decent job.

The goalie is capable of Icarus-level highs.

Let’s see what happens. This is a pretty dangerous team.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Did the Caps do anything today? Maybe they learned a lesson from last year emptying the vault for Shattenkirk.
Would of been nice to add a forward but if teams are asking for our better prospects for a rental then I would rather stand pat
I get its a catch 22 because you want to get the usual suspects off the ice but sometimes it’s better to stay away from the madness

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

With Lindblom hopefully staying up and Simmonds coming back soon they have a very competitive 4 lines.

Their D isn’t great, but the first pair is top notch and the rest do a decent job.

Exactly, and eventually the bad contracts will be gone.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Another deadline where Hextall was near-perfect.

He made his deadline move getting Mrazek the other day. He owed the team that much to have a competent goalie and it could be a huge long-term payoff. Adding Oduya essentially in exchange for Alt is a dream -- sure, Sanheim probably won't play much, but that doesn't mean anything. Sanheim will be every game player in NHL next year and tearing it up without skipping a beat.

The future is crazy-bright in Philly (across the board for sports).

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
First in the division. 4th in the conference. You kidding me? I was hoping for a 7/8 seed. I'll still take that.

They're almost certainly going to give me the great joy of watching playoff hockey, which is the greatest thing known to man.

And, if Mrazek can play well, they won't be pushovers. Some fun hockey on the horizon, sports fans, if they can keep it up.

Reactions: Tripod and OzFlyers

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Here is the flyers cap for the next few seasons.

I can't believe we have a dead cap hit of 1.5 going to Umberger who isn't even on the roster, but that finally comes off the books after this season.

Matt Read's 3.6 comes off the books finally also he is a UFA after this year.

Fippulla 5m also comes off after this season.

Manning and Odoyua also set to be UFA's

Haag RFA

Then the goalies

Elliott 2.7 and Neuvirth 2.5 next season I'd be fine with cutting both of them.

I'd give Miraculous Mrazek and Lyon both set to be RFA

I'd like for them to be our goalies next season.

What's also sad 2 more years of Amac, I wonder if we could finally trade him in offseason.

he would have 2 yrs 10m 5 per if we eat half a team might go for it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Here is the flyers cap for the next few seasons.

I can't believe we have a dead cap hit of 1.5 going to Umberger who isn't even on the roster, but that finally comes off the books after this season.

Matt Read's 3.6 comes off the books finally also he is a UFA after this year.

Fippulla 5m also comes off after this season.

Manning and Odoyua also set to be UFA's

Haag RFA

Then the goalies

Elliott 2.7 and Neuvirth 2.5 next season I'd be fine with cutting both of them.

I'd give Miraculous Mrazek and Lyon both set to be RFA

I'd like for them to be our goalies next season.

What's also sad 2 more years of Amac, I wonder if we could finally trade him in offseason.

he would have 2 yrs 10m 5 per if we eat half a team might go for it.

Good post. At this point, I think you just have to suck it up with AMac. He hasn't been horrible this season. He's overpaid, but he's been an NHL-level defenseman. I don't think any team will take the contract without the Flyers kicking in a pick, like the Lehtera trade. I'd rather just play AMac. Reduced minutes would be nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->