Flyers trade deadline (Flyers claim J. Oduya off waivers; lose Alt to Colorado)

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
And, even if you don't use them as trade pieces to fill holes, it's how you maintain a long window of contention and stay relevant.

Players get hurt, get old, ask for too much money, are used in trades, and a million other reasons why the team could need to fill a hole...

Those players are then able to be replaced by the young/cheap talent that you get for free from your prospect pool. It's like a dying person getting an organ transplant... it keeps the team alive for much longer than they'd last without having replacements available .

ok, your point is saying we are not ready to win the cup then what is point in keeping giroux, jake and courturier? it makes no sense to overspend if you are not competing, you are basically wasting years of money and talent for nothing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's really funny seeing people complain about keeping guys like Weise and Lehtera, and failing to realize that Hextall literally couldn't give these guys away.
Neither were on waivers, so he didn't actually try to give them away for nothing.

The Odyua waiver claim is something I've been waiting for since Sanheim was going to get sent down. Pretty surprising that Ottawa couldn't get any kind of draft pick for him. And he went pretty far down the waiver list, I mean you had a team ahead of us who would've rather have had Alt.

I wish something could've been done to help out our penalty killing unit. It looks like Matt Read gets a chance to be part of a solution. I don't have a problem with not making a trade, but I also find it hard to believe there was nothing out there. Letestu's name was out there, but we already traded our 4th rounder. Blake Comeau or Brad Richardson were guys to look at. I wonder if Hextall asked about Richardson since he is familiar with him. These guys were, imo, clear upgrades given the state our unit was in. These guys are better than Jori Lehtera and Dale Weise.

When I hear Hextall talk about clear upgrades, they're really in position to do that this coming off-season given the named expected to be available. Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Hoffman, Pacioretty, who knows who else. They will be in a prime position to make that kind of move and not deplete their assets. They should be in the playoffs this year, and next year is Year 5, and it will be time to start positioning yourself as a contending team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I honestly can't find any info to the fight you are referring to. Can you post a link ?

He is good, he has proven that over the course of his career that when he can play with a legit center he is a very talented player. Young , talented, and was traded for cheap. For a team like us that would have been a great guy to have gotten for this playoff run, and if things click we could extend him or let him walk with only giving up a 2nd rounder.
You have no one agreeing with you. You are wrong. Get over it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
ok, your point is saying we are not ready to win the cup then what is point in keeping giroux, jake and courturier? it makes no sense to overspend if you are not competing, you are basically wasting years of money and talent for nothing.
Maybe I'm wrong about the scheduling, but I was under the impression that the next NHL season was 2018-2019, not 2028-2029...

I think, considering how great they're playing this year, those guys will still be able to play hockey in the near future.

It's not this year or bust... relax.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Because they are all signed for another 4 years or more when we WILL be contending.

See how simple that was.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Who is the Flyers 7th D man now? The only way we get Alt-Right.... Handed D man back is if COL sends him to the minors. We can apparently reclaim him if that happens.

What does LOD91 say now? Please look into your crystal ball and tell me what you see.....;-))

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
I don't see any of the players involved in big trades as major playoff performers with the exception of maybe McDonagh. There is no need to mortgage the future for questionable characters like Kane, or perennial playoff duds like Nash. Vanek is also soft as they come and completely one dimensional.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Maybe I'm wrong about the scheduling, but I was under the impression that the next NHL season was 2018-2019, not 2028-2029...

I think, considering how great they're playing this year, those guys will still be able to play hockey in the near future.

It's not this year or bust... relax.

:thumbu:

Reactions: Striiker

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not all that broken up about the deadline. Would have liked to see a deal get done but it sounds like what was available was too pricey (I would have been in on Tatar, Kane, and Hartman though, not sure I would have paid those prices though but I wouldn't have hung up if that was the ask).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad