Flyers trade deadline (Flyers claim J. Oduya off waivers; lose Alt to Colorado)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The only thing keeping Sanheim in the AHL is Sanheim.
It's obvious there are things they want him to correct in his game and they're working with him to fix them.
When Hextall is satisfied he's ready for another shot he'll be back up.

But Manning has significantly outscored Sanheim this season, both team on the ice and individual stats.
Sanheim is the more talented player, but unless he makes a big jump, he's not a big upgrade THIS year.
The "bad luck" argument only goes so far, Sanheim simply struggled to finish and score, which is his primary value.

The biggest problem with this team has been the goalie play, .910% v .913 league average.
Especially on the PK, Elliott .809% (career .873), Neuvirth .810% (career .875%)
Some of that may be the PK, but PK in general also exposes a goalie's declining reflexes - every goalie has to make tough PK saves.
Mrazek was .835% in Detroit and .854% the year before. So we'll see if he's the answer.

These aren't issues promoting Sanheim can fix.
He can't play goal and he's not well suited for PK duties right now.
Well said. So tired of hearing about Travis Sanheim the martyr.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only thing keeping Sanheim in the AHL is Sanheim.
It's obvious there are things they want him to correct in his game and they're working with him to fix them.
When Hextall is satisfied he's ready for another shot he'll be back up.

But Manning has significantly outscored Sanheim this season, both team on the ice and individual stats.
Sanheim is the more talented player, but unless he makes a big jump, he's not a big upgrade THIS year.
The "bad luck" argument only goes so far, Sanheim simply struggled to finish and score, which is his primary value.

The biggest problem with this team has been the goalie play, .910% v .913 league average.
Especially on the PK, Elliott .809% (career .873), Neuvirth .810% (career .875%)
Some of that may be the PK, but PK in general also exposes a goalie's declining reflexes - every goalie has to make tough PK saves.
Mrazek was .835% in Detroit and .854% the year before. So we'll see if he's the answer.

These aren't issues promoting Sanheim can fix.
He can't play goal and he's not well suited for PK duties right now.

No, that's not remotely obvious. What is your source?

Because we have several instances of the organization leaving struggling players in the f***ing dark rather than working with them, including the coach admitting to that, so it makes your blind faith extremely dubious..

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i agree. Simmer is likely gonna get at least 6m. don't want to pay that for what is essentially a 3rd liner for us now. and one who'll be over 30 too. he'd be a great guy to have on the 3rd line, perfect actually, but not at that kind of money. get a hometown discount or trade him.

Even at a discount...it doesn't make sense. Should we be sinking 4-5 million for 5 years into a 31 year old? Nope.

McDonagh was a #1 D in NY, but not here or most contenders, he's a solid all around D-man, but nothing jumps out, he's neither a great offensive player or a shutdown defender. He's not a great possession guy, monster physical guy or fly like the wind scoring guy. TB gave a lot, a solid young center, a 1st and 2nd picks in prospects, and a 1st and conditional 2nd rd pick.

On Tampa, Hedman is still the #1, Stralman should pair with him, but it provides a security blanket for 19 year old Sergachev.

Forget Maroon, we don't need more slow veterans.

Hartman would be a 3rd line player, but you'd have to then bump both Weal and Raffl down to the 4th line when Simmonds returns. I'm not sure he's a huge upgrade over them, and the cost was high. For one thing, if the Blackhawks are rebuilding, they're not trading Hartman if they see him as a top 6 player, you don't trade a young top 6 forward for a late rd 1st pick and hope you draft a top 6 forward.

Only in your world is McDonough not a top pairing Dman and not a shutdown defender.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Seems a bit early to say Howden doesn't have top 6 upside. He's certainly performing a lot better in Junior than the guy we took five spots ahead of him who is supposed to have top 6 upside. Of course Rubtsov had to adjust coming from Russia, and has been unlucky with injuries, but right now if I had to bet on who would be the more productive NHLer, I'd take Howden.
Hey if you think Howden has a good chance to be a top 6 guy, be my guest, but if you are just looking at numbers, know Moose Jaw is a powerhouse this year averaging almost 5 goals a game and he’s being outscored by two kids who are pretty much non-prospects. I would say if everything worked out for Rubtsov he’d also likely be a 3rd liner as well but he has the versatility to play wing and possibly up in the lineup. I don’t think Howden can. But it’s fair to say they are of a similar caliber and if Rubtsov was the best prospect in a deal for 2 good non-rental NHL players I don’t think we would be losing too much sleep.

Craig Button thinks Rubtsov is a better prospect than Howden fwiw.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Good thing for us , Kane is not a pill popping junkie.

Neither were Carter nor Lupul. Neither of them had nearly as much drama swirling around them as Kane does.

We might as well just burn skip a draft pick rather than waste the time getting him and watching him flame out in Philly. Flyers media and fans cannot handle someone like him. It would be f***ing miserable for everyone involved.

Reactions: Rebels57

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Neither were Carter nor Lupul. Neither of them had nearly as much drama swirling around them as Kane does.

We might as well just burn skip a draft pick rather than waste the time getting him and watching him flame out in Philly. Flyers media and fans cannot handle someone like him. It would be ****ing miserable for everyone involved.

are you joking. What has kane even done? Taken some photos of himself with money ? My goodness what a terrible human.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
are you joking. What has kane even done? Taken some photos of himself with money ? My goodness what a terrible human.
Is that all you know about Kane and his off ice issues? If so, it makes sense why you might want him.

Go dig deeper.

Regardless, adding Kane and wasting picks on him just to win a few more games this year is a dumb move. People forget, LA got a lot of heat for not "acting" earlier than they did, but they did it when they felt they were ready.

To me, it's simple. Are we a contender this year? No. We still have too many holes. So why waste futures? Wait and use them when we actually ARE contenders.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
"What has Kane even done"? Has all of his trouble, be it legal-related, locker room-related or social media-related, happened just under some tiny rock?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
For all the people who like to say, "We don't need more prospects or picks! Look at our pool! It's already the best!"

The value of a pick or an NHL prospect who sees a production uptick and a little hype -- forget even the NHL experience value boost -- is always immensely valuable. GMs can be dazzled by tournaments and deceptive stats. You compile for these moments.

Yet, the Lightning fleeced the Rangers without even touching a top prospect or two or three, and their top prospects are probably 5th-9th on our list at best, let alone these ones. And they didn't touch an invaluable NHL player. They boosted Namestnikov's value, who is still a fine player, by playing with the MVP and Stamkos and then sold at a high before he needs a new contract. I still can't believe that was the final deal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

There were people who seriously argued for trading Giroux because he touched a cop's butt. You think Kane's antics and drama would be laughed over?

Zherdev being seen getting into a limo was a scandal. Jeff Carter having a beer with some fans was a scandal. Kane would be put under a microscope and utterly dissected. Everything will be exaggerated to the max, as usual.

And he doesn't bring nearly enough on the ice to justify the circus that would surround him. Let's also not forget that he's gotten into social media spats with fans and local businesses, fighting with coaches, not showing up to practice, assault allegations, and violating team policies and clashing with teammates.

The guy wouldn't stand a chance here. Philly is one of the worst possible locations for him to go, and we'd be wasting time and assets bringing him here.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Well there were bar fights & the fact the the players in Winnipeg revolted against him forcing his trade to Buffalo.

I honestly wouldn’t care but I don’t really think he’s good enough to be crying about.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Is that all you know about Kane and his off ice issues? If so, it makes sense why you might want him.

Go dig deeper.

Regardless, adding Kane and wasting picks on him just to win a few more games this year is a dumb move. People forget, LA got a lot of heat for not "acting" earlier than they did, but they did it when they felt they were ready.

To me, it's simple. Are we a contender this year? No. We still have too many holes. So why waste futures? Wait and use them when we actually ARE contenders.

i know what he has done. i want to hear it from someone else. Because the minute you name them its so hilarious and petty.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i know what he has done. i want to hear it from someone else. Because the minute you name them its so hilarious and petty.
Petty? What a fun 6 months he had. He is the anti-Provy.

This is the 24-year-old Kane’s second run-in with legal trouble in six months. In March, prosecutors announced after a three-month investigation that Kane would not face a sexual assault charge stemming from a December incident because there was no evidence to support the allegation.
The Sabres have already disciplined Kane once by suspending him for one game in February after the player slept in and missed practice.
Kane spent the previous night attending the NBA All-Star game in Toronto, which is about a two-hour drive from Buffalo. Pictures of Kane celebrating following the game surfaced on the player’s Instagram account before they were deleted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad