Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Roman Lyubimov

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Player development isn't always about throwing a player in over their head and see if they swim, look at Laughton, did it help him develop?

Sometimes you gradually work a player in over a few months, and use practice to work on the weak spots of his game, gradually increasing his PT as he earns it. Most players aren't talented enough to compensate for their gaffes (the difference between Konecny and Cousins, for example, or why they tolerate Ghost's mistakes but didn't do the same for Gufstasson), so they have to clean up their game to earn regular shifts.

Luby will get his shots, and if he improves, will win a steady job. If Laughton takes advantage of yet another opportunity, and Cousins plays well on the 2nd line, when Couts returns there will only be one open forward spot (Weise and Read aren't sitting) on the bottom six between PEB, Gordon and VdV. But these three young forwards have to earn their PT on the ice. Luby looks good on paper, but has yet to produce on ice other than skate fast and try hard. Laughton had a bad gaffe that lead to a goal. If you want to sit VdV, two of the kids have to step up.

You're making up excuses that don't make sense. Gradually work in players over a matter of months?

Yeah, like they did with Ghost, Bellemare, Manning, Konecny, Provorov, Read, Couturier, Schenn, Cousins, Rinaldo, and every other NHL rookie they brought into the lineup over the last few years... oh wait... no they didn't. None of those players got a few games then rode the bench for a long time while inferior players took their spot. That's not how players are developed so I have no idea why you're pulling this development path out of your ass as if there's even been an example of this. And among those players are low potential low skill players like Rinaldo and Bellemare so it's not a matter of having different mentalities for different types of players.

You want the real reason behind him being scratched? The coach thinks he has 12 better players on the roster. He's wrong, but that's what he thinks. He thinks Bellemare is a 3C, he thinks Vandevelde is an NHL player, and he thinks that Lyubimov adds less to the the team than either, which is ridiculous. It's really that simple. The coach is doing stupid ****, just like all coaches do.

boodangleroo28

Jul 9, 2010
Man some of this is hard to read. Do I like vdv? No definitely not. But coming onto this board and stating facts about how your opinion on him or who does or does not play over him is right and our coach is wrong,solely based on your opinion on games... not practice, not film room conversations, just what you see on tv. vdv sure doesn't do much positive, but he plays a real safe mostly mistake free game. But yeah let's put the Russian rookie in who doesn't understand the language or scheme as well and WILL commit more mistakes, but hey he skates hard and forechecks.

Our team has been playing some good hockey this year, we just shoot ourselves in the foot more times then our opponents throughout the game. VDV doesn't make those mistakes

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Man some of this is hard to read. Do I like vdv? No definitely not. But coming onto this board and stating facts about how your opinion on him or who does or does not play over him is right and our coach is wrong,solely based on your opinion on games... not practice, not film room conversations, just what you see on tv. vdv sure doesn't do much positive, but he plays a real safe mostly mistake free game. But yeah let's put the Russian rookie in who doesn't understand the language or scheme as well and WILL commit more mistakes, but hey he skates hard and forechecks.

Our team has been playing some good hockey this year, we just shoot ourselves in the foot more times then our opponents throughout the game. VDV doesn't make those mistakes

You are clearly confusing him with someone else.

Also, would someone remind me, where do we get points from? Winning games or from doing well in practice, film room, etc? I thought it was from winning games but obviously there's people on here who think differently. Otherwise why would those things be more important than performances in actual games?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Lyubimov is younger and has more upside than VDV. Most important, he's been notably better when given the the opportunity. Simply put, Lyubimov should be playing over putty face. End of discussion

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What exactly has Lubyimov done in his 12 games so far? COmpared to VdV?

VdV 23g 3-2 5 28 hits
Luby 12g 1-0 1 11 hits

Luby has slighty better advanced stats, but VdV isn't a liability this year by any measure (CF, Fenwick). Medvedev had good advanced stats last year, so be careful about putting too much weight on them.

It may simply come down to Hakstol not trusting Luby on the PK right now, and he's not good enough for the 3rd line, so he has limited value until the coach is more comfortable with him on the PK.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013

VdV 23g 3-2 5 28 hits
Luby 12g 1-0 1 11 hits

Luby has slighty better advanced stats, but VdV isn't a liability this year by any measure (CF, Fenwick). Medvedev had good advanced stats last year, so be careful about putting too much weight on them.

It may simply come down to Hakstol not trusting Luby on the PK right now, and he's not good enough for the 3rd line, so he has limited value until the coach is more comfortable with him on the PK.

Lyubimov adds a lot of skill to the bottom 6, which is lacking right now. VDV has very little skill and no future with the team with as much forward depth the Flyers have in the farm.

I don't really see why you're defending the plug. He's below average in all aspects of his game. Lyubimov is at least as good as VDV now and he at least has some upside...

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

VdV 23g 3-2 5 28 hits
Luby 12g 1-0 1 11 hits

Lyubimov was by all accounts one of the KHL's better PK guys, and if he's not going to try new things when his PK sits 27th in the league then he's an idiot.

There's zero justification for VanDeVelde to remain. Even if it's a temporary sit, it's nonsensical to keep him playing when you have potential sitting in the press box. Hakstol needs to get over this obsession and put the team first.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Except the PK isn't 27th in the league and the way they've played over the last couple games there's not much reason to make a change.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

VdV 23g 3-2 5 28 hits
Luby 12g 1-0 1 11 hits

Lets keep everything the same.

9-10-3 is a perfectly fine start.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Simmonds has been the best PK forward this year and it's not even close. And if you think about it, he's the best player out of that bunch regardless.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What's been his common linemates so far this year? I'm guessing it's some form of Gordon, Bellemare, VandeVelde, etc.

You put him with a guy like Schenn who can actually do something with the puck offensively & what to do you know. He produces.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
What's been his common linemates so far this year? I'm guessing it's some form of Gordon, Bellemare, VandeVelde, etc.

You put him with a guy like Schenn who can actually do something with the puck offensively & what to do you. He produces.

3 most common:
PEB (78:15)
VDV (55:36)
Read (50:06)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not going to be the type of guy who pretends one good game proves my point, because it doesn't, but I really can't see how anyone could say that Lyubimov doesn't belong in this lineup or that he isn't a substantial upgrade over Vandevelde. His skating, aggressiveness, and surprisingly decent offense is something this team needs in the bottom 6.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If he keeps playing like tonight, no way he's coming out. I'm glad he made such an impact and got 2 points. It will certainly help his case with Hakstol.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I'm not going to be the type of guy who pretends one good game proves my point, because it doesn't, but I really can't see how anyone could say that Lyubimov doesn't belong in this lineup or that he isn't a substantial upgrade over Vandevelde. His skating, aggressiveness, and surprisingly decent offense is something this team needs in the bottom 6.

I'd put him in over vv, bellemare, or weise. He's clearly been more effective than all of them. The system excuse is getting old, too. Guys that know the system are making more mistakes than guys like lyubimov. Add to that he'll learn the system a lot better playing in games than he will watching from the press box and it becomes inexcusable to bench him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad