Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Roman Lyubimov

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I dont understand the dislike for Bellemare. He seems like a fun guy in the lockeroom. Hes not a bad player at all. I dont think bad players make the WC teams. Hes isnt exceptional but hes a reliable pro that brings versatility to the team. I feel more like the hate started when the days of Ryan White being the third wheel on the line. I really dislike VDV as much as the next person but i dont view it as something thats holding the team back. As for Lyubimov its just a simple case of Hak trusting his guys hes been with at the beginning of his tenure. Hes probably easing him in his pro lifestyle in the US. Remember there is somewhat a language barrier. In time he will get more on his plate. Hak has to appreciate his game because hes a intense forechecker.

Also at some point Belle and Vdv will need to be replaced by younger, better, and cheaper options.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think they'll get the same extension Ryan White got.

Schenn shouldn't be getting better quality wings than Coots.

Yes, I think Konency's goalless streak is up to 18 games now.

TK-Schenn-Simmonds is not producing in terms of points or possession.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
There may be more offensively talented players than Bellemare, but he works hard every shift and is a solid defensive forward. Players like that can be valuable too. Setting an example for the rest of the team, help creating a culture of a team that never quits.

Ideally he shouldn't be a 3rd line center, but I rather have him on the 4th line than someone like Laughton who will disappear for long stretches. The more talented player isn't always the better player.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think they'll get the same extension Ryan White got.

They wanted White to stay though. He chose to price himself out. And they never viewed him as important as VDV and PEB.

Deep down, I do think VandeVelde's position is untenable long-term and he goes. There are just too many wings and guys no longer waiver safe. But wouldn't shock me to see him offered a 1 year, $1 mil deal and leave the decision up to him because they do obviously have a soft spot for him. Bellemare I think gets a 2 year extension or something. I think they view him as more important and more versatile. And they won't want to lose a bottom 6 center given it's not a strength.

I'm fully expecting at least 1 to return. Honestly nothing would surprise me with them though.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
PEB can stay , but VDV will not get another contract if we let him go imo.

Weise PEB Lube will be a great 4th line next year. Would be nice if one of Weise or Lube could play LW.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They wanted White to stay though. He chose to price himself out. And they never viewed him as important as VDV and PEB.

Deep down, I do think VandeVelde's position is untenable long-term and he goes. There are just too many wings and guys no longer waiver safe. But wouldn't shock me to see him offered a 1 year, $1 mil deal and leave the decision up to him because they do obviously have a soft spot for him. Bellemare I think gets a 2 year extension or something. I think they view him as more important and more versatile. And they won't want to lose a bottom 6 center given it's not a strength.

I'm fully expecting at least 1 to return. Honestly nothing would surprise me with them though.

White only got $1m from Arizona. The Flyers happily paid Weise far more than that, so how much did they really want him back?

Bardreau and Laughton are ready made wing and center replacements for next season currently playing on the Phantoms top line.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
White only got $1m from Arizona. The Flyers happily paid Weise far more than that, so how much did they really want him back?

Bardreau and Laughton are ready made wing and center replacements for next season currently playing on the Phantoms top line.

It's possible White played hardball and the Flyers just moved on, or Arizona offered a tiny bit more. That by no means precludes them offering a contract, even if it was a little undervalue. Indications were they did negotiate. And White is irrelevant anyway. He does not hold a candle to the enamorment the Flyers have with VandeVelde and Bellemare. Given the prospect situation, I expect Bellemare to be much more likely to be back than VandeVelde.

As for Bardreau and Laughton being "ready made"...I'm less certain than you, I guess. At this point, I expect nothing from Laughton as pertains to a locked up job in the NHL, especially at center. He will be waivers eligible, so he'll be up in some capacity though. Bardreau we talked about as a dark horse candidate this year, before he had surgery, but he has another year waivers exempt. No reason to rush him; he's not nearly beyond that level. Maybe as the season goes on. Leier is the most certain 4LW replacement to me.

I made the mistake of thinking that the horde of bottom 6 players we had under contract and seemingly ready spelled the end of the twosome....so I'm going to err on the side of caution this time.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It's possible White played hardball and the Flyers just moved on, or Arizona offered a tiny bit more. That by no means precludes them offering a contract, even if it was a little undervalue. Indications were they did negotiate. And White is irrelevant anyway. He does not hold a candle to the enamorment the Flyers have with VandeVelde and Bellemare. Given the prospect situation, I expect Bellemare to be much more likely to be back than VandeVelde.

As for Bardreau and Laughton being "ready made"...I'm less certain than you, I guess. At this point, I expect nothing from Laughton as pertains to a locked up job in the NHL, especially at center. He will be waivers eligible, so he'll be up in some capacity though. Bardreau we talked about as a dark horse candidate this year, before he had surgery, but he has another year waivers exempt. No reason to rush him; he's not nearly beyond that level. Maybe as the season goes on. Leier is the most certain 4LW replacement to me.

I made the mistake of thinking that the horde of bottom 6 players we had under contract and seemingly ready spelled the end of the twosome....so I'm going to err on the side of caution this time.

I think that's wise. And depressing. But I can live with PEB, as long as Lube is attached to him, because Lube generates offense (albeit in a vacuum) and is at the very least as good defensively as PEB. Leier is so ****ing fast that if he joins them, it could work really well - I just need to see him play more to get a read on him.

I think it is really going to be interesting to see the effect the return of Couts has on Konecny - I think the jury is still out on whether Couts alone (and just to be clear, I love the guy and appreciate everything he does) can restart the great chemistry between he and Neck, or if it was a product of Couts AND Jake, together with Neck, that drove that line. Obviously it is better with Jake - everything is - but it will be interesting to see if he and Neck can make it work with Simmer on their wing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's possible White played hardball and the Flyers just moved on, or Arizona offered a tiny bit more. That by no means precludes them offering a contract, even if it was a little undervalue. Indications were they did negotiate. And White is irrelevant anyway. He does not hold a candle to the enamorment the Flyers have with VandeVelde and Bellemare.

Last year VDV got 11:09 at ES, Bellemare got 10:55, White got 10:37. Hak loved "Whitey" just as much as "Belly" and "Vandy". He even got significant PK time despite being objectively awful at it.

This season VdV dropped down to 8 minutes a game until Couturier got hurt, and is now up to 9:19. Bellemare has also got a lot more ES ice time with Couturier out, but is still only up to 11:49.

Even if Bardreau plays another season in the AHL, that still leaves:

Raffl-G-Jake
TK-Coots-Simmer
Read-Schenn-Lyubimov
Leier-Cousins-Weise
Laughton

One forward will likely go to Vegas, but there's also Lindblom who almost certainly be on the team, and any free agent forwards Hextall signs with the significant amount of cap space that will be available.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think that's wise. And depressing. But I can live with PEB, as long as Lube is attached to him, because Lube generates offense (albeit in a vacuum) and is at the very least as good defensively as PEB. Leier is so ****ing fast that if he joins them, it could work really well - I just need to see him play more to get a read on him.

I think it is really going to be interesting to see the effect the return of Couts has on Konecny - I think the jury is still out on whether Couts alone (and just to be clear, I love the guy and appreciate everything he does) can restart the great chemistry between he and Neck, or if it was a product of Couts AND Jake, together with Neck, that drove that line. Obviously it is better with Jake - everything is - but it will be interesting to see if he and Neck can make it work with Simmer on their wing.

Everyone seems to play well with Couts....even if Couts is not getting points with them. Hell, last years Raffl and Gagner were playing well with him.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller

From google translate:

"Philadelphia player Roman Lyubimov about the NHL: The level of the game is higher, there are the best players of the world; It is necessary to quickly learn English speech to understand the coach."

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Won't be too broken up if he's not brought back.

I won't be broken up either, but I think it's safe to say I'm his biggest fan on here and I have been championing him all season. I think this past season was a wasted opportunity thanks to Mr. David Hakstol's questionable reliance on his son, Chris Hakstavelde. While I appreciate Mr. Hakstol's calm and unSullivanesque demeanor, I believe that he defecated the bed on this one. We had a cheap, strong asset who could have given us a lot more than a whole host of the remaining fourth-line types on our roster. I accept everyone's blase feelings about the player though, everyone except Deadhead, who is just plain Deadwrong on this one and whose response to this post is sure to send me into paroxysms of frustration.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe trade Vegas the rights to Lyubimov in exchange for them taking the forward the Flyers want them to take.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MV is a better bet than Luby, he actually may have some offensive skills.
I'd take Laughton, Weise, Read, Raffl and PEB over him as well.
A wash with Leier.
In other words, even if he returned, his odds of making the team were about the same as VdV, slim and none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad