Confirmed with Link: Flyers sign Roman Lyubimov

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
As long as he is waiver exempt and willing to play for the Phantoms, sign him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Bye bye, Lyuby.

I'm sure based on your love in these parts you'll have no problem getting a regular 4th line job on one of the 30 other NHL teams (doubtful).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
As per capfriendly he is an RFA

Sorry, I meant he could just leave without any contract repercussions on the Flyers side.

If the Flyers don't tender him (or whatever it is they do), he'll flip over to a UFA, I think.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bye bye, Lyuby.

I'm sure based on your love in these parts you'll have no problem getting a regular 4th line job on one of the 30 other NHL teams (doubtful).

We just wanted him to play over ****ing VandeVelde for christ sakes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Luby played 47 games, that's a fair shot, just didn't do much except skate around vigorously. If he was 21, you'd want him to spend a year in the AHL and learn how to play, but at 25 there's just not a lot of upside.

He can be a fourth line forward on a team that lacks depth like the Flyers the last five years - but would you really want him taking time from Laughton, MV, Leier, AK, Cousins, etc. And he's certainly not as good as Raffl or Read, who may end up on the 4th line by default.

Our 4th line standards have fallen the last five years, we're used to seeing Rinaldo, McGinn, Hall, Rosehill, White and Vandervelde. That's the only reason some have actually seen Luby as a legitimate 4th liner.

The times they are 'a' changing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're just sore b/c Hextall doesn't share your man crush.

Flyers will have 14-15 forwards better than Luby competing for jobs in camp this September. That's the most depth we've had at forward since god knows when. And it'll just get worse the next couple years when AK, Rubtsov, Leberge, Vorobyov, Kase, Allison, Laczynski, Bunnaman, Dove-McFalls (if signed), Marody, Salinitri and Tawynski arrive. And if you need to root for a Russian stiff, there's always Fazleev.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Lyubimov is beyond useful. Really wish they would go back to the CSKA drawing board and sign Ozhiganov, the right-handed defenseman. Don't know if he speaks English though.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You're just sore b/c Hextall doesn't share your man crush.

I am sore about that, no doubt. I don't know why it bothers me so much (aside from the fact that everything bothers me so much), but you saying that he got a fair shot really, really annoys me. It defies common sense. We can disagree about whether or not he deserved a fair shot, but the idea that he actually got one is absurd. Possibly the reason the whole Lube situation bugs me so much more than his actual on-ice production/value is that it was a wasted opportunity to have a more productive player on the ice than we had - and there is no way in the world that you can argue that VdV should have been on the ice instead of Lube, and I know that isn't going to stop you from doing it and saying they are the same, so I am just going to punch myself in the nuts instead of trying to convince you anymore. Here goes - RIP balls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad