Rumor: Flyers gearing up to trade Wayne Simmonds

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Assuming Toronto could get Simmonds and Tavares, the lineup would look something like this...

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Simmonds
Martin - Aaltonen - Kapanen

Cart before the horse, I know. But it's June 20th.

Like i said, if you can make it make sense, im all for it. Im not as familiar with Toronto's line up, but that looks like it works, and seems to make sense for a cup run (though i think the need in toronto is more so a RHD, yes?).

Let's make it happen, though. Brown +1st for Simmonds + - the plus being retained if needed (i dont think it is for this year), or a 3rd/4th?

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Fair but you are selling him short by calling him a cap dump
He is not a cap dump imo. He is just on a deal that we don't like. Too much term for a soon to be 29 year old with 5 years left for a middle 6 guy. We would be looking for a younger guy who has yet to sign that "3rd contract" yet.

Last 2 years, Killorn has 62 ES points, Brown has 54. Without looking, I bet AK has played with the better players. Brown just turned 24 and makes 2.1 for the next 2 years. At that time, he possibly gets a Killorn type deal or the Flyers trade him away because Allison is ready for 3rd line duties. A 2 year bridge to Allison is perfect really.

So yeah, no need to keep trying to push Killorn. There are younger, cheaper options that suit the Flyers better.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Killorn has 4 full years left on his contract at nearly $4.5M a year.

He's a 40 point guy and closing in on 30 years of age.

Connor Brown is 5 years younger and on track to be cheaper and equally as productive.
Killorn actually has 5 years left, which makes it worse.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Killorn has 4 full years left on his contract at nearly $4.5M a year.

He's a 40 point guy and closing in on 30 years of age.

Connor Brown is 5 years younger and on track to be cheaper and equally as productive.
True but brown isn’t a known playoff performer like Killorn. But yeah if I’m philly I would prefer brown to Killorn

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Killer is coming off a 47 Point season btw, he’s no scrub

Killorn isnt a bad player, but his term/cap is too much for what we are looking for. We have a lot of young guys who would play a similar role and are about two years away or so. We'd be stuck holding that bag in 3 years. We should be able to find a better (read: better fitting) centerpiece in a Simmonds deal.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Killorn isnt a bad player, but his term/cap is too much for what we are looking for. We have a lot of young guys who would play a similar role and are about two years away or so. We'd be stuck holding that bag in 3 years. We should be able to find a better (read: better fitting) centerpiece in a Simmonds deal.
But isn’t the left side more of a need than the right? You have konecny and Voracek rw for the top 6

Jan 21, 2018
Assuming Toronto could get Simmonds and Tavares, the lineup would look something like this...

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Simmonds
Martin - Aaltonen - Kapanen

Cart before the horse, I know. But it's June 20th.

Adding Tavares and Simmonds to any playoff team makes them a serious threat for the cup next year. Even with Leafs atrocious D this lineup would take them to the final. Assuming they got rid of that bum Hyman

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
But isn’t the left side more of a need than the right? You have konecny and Voracek rw for the top 6

Giroux and Lindblom on the left. a 2nd line LW upgrade would be ideal - but if were swapping simmonds for a LW, im targetting Skinner - a deal a large amount of Canes fans also seem to make sense.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Giroux and Lindblom on the left. a 2nd line LW upgrade would be ideal - but if were swapping simmonds for a LW, im targetting Skinner - a deal a large amount of Canes fans also seem to make sense.
Simmonds plus a small add for skinner makes sense

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Honest questions for the Maple Leaf fans in this thread...Do you have any interest in playing defense next year?
most of them don't because when they sign tavares they can outscore their opponent and win, the mentality they had during the carlyle era

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Heinen would be of interest to me. Lots of young middle 6 players on the Bruins who interest me, actually.

How would you compare Heinen’s value to Connor Brown who was mentioned in this thread?

I’d value him above Brown and wouldn’t be willing to include a 1st if Heinen was the one going out the door.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How would you compare Heinen’s value to Connor Brown who was mentioned in this thread?

I’d value him above Brown and wouldn’t be willing to include a 1st if Heinen was the one going out the door.

Ill admit i dont know either super well. Just a tree top view. Heinen may be valued a little higher (i like his positional flexibility). How would you see Heinen and a 2nd?

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Ill admit i dont know either super well. Just a tree top view. Heinen may be valued a little higher (i like his positional flexibility). How would you see Heinen and a 2nd?

I would do that if the pick was in 2019, but I’d be interested in extending Simmonds and having him on the team to compete this season so I’d value him more than most Bruins fans would as a 1 year rental.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Simmonds

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I would do that if the pick was in 2019, but I’d be interested in extending Simmonds and having him on the team to compete this season so I’d value him more than most Bruins fans would as a 1 year rental.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Simmonds

Fair enough, I'd be ok with a 2019 2nd, i suppose. Weve got enough picks today and previous years that looking forward to where an expansion draft may imapact is probably wise.

Reactions: DrJustice

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Simmonds' play style is so perfect for a Flyers jersey, and I mean that in a good way along the lines of the classic Broad Street Bullies. Always loved watching him play his game. With Philly at competing levels, 2 firsts and a second this draft and a whole shit load of 19 and 20 yr old prospects signed to ELC's (not up to date on how promising all of them are but definitely recognize some talent there)... I don't know why they'd even move him. There is the idea of getting value for an expiring contract, but when a team is competing you consider that expiring contract like a rental that you don't have to give up assets for. I could see if their prospect pipeline was struggling or traded away a bunch of picks but they don't seem to be anywhere near that position.

If moved, I think a team like TBL should be looking at him. Great team ready to go for another run and could use that grit and great RH shot.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Simmonds' play style is so perfect for a Flyers jersey, and I mean that in a good way along the lines of the classic Broad Street Bullies. Always loved watching him play his game. With Philly at competing levels, 2 firsts and a second this draft and a whole **** load of 19 and 20 yr old prospects signed to ELC's (not up to date on how promising all of them are but definitely recognize some talent there)... I don't know why they'd even move him. There is the idea of getting value for an expiring contract, but when a team is competing you consider that expiring contract like a rental that you don't have to give up assets for. I could see if their prospect pipeline was struggling or traded away a bunch of picks but they don't seem to be anywhere near that position.

If moved, I think a team like TBL should be looking at him. Great team ready to go for another run and could use that grit and great RH shot.
Because we are not competing. We realize this. Hextall realizes this....see the Schenn deal as a perfect example. 3 years of Schenn for futures. Simmonds is no different with 1 year.

He is also the last of the "selling" for any forwards. Everyone else is staying in place and is signed or under control for 4 years or more.

If he had 3 years on his deal, we don't move him. But sadly that is not the case.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
That’s an idea but not sure what the trade would be. Maybe Killorn+Raddysh+2nd?

I don't know your prospect situation well enough, but from an outsider's POV that's not a bad deal. I was originally thinking something around Gourde, but that's a valuable ELC this year, and you would need to move some salary. What about Dotchin (what side does he play?), Killorn and Raddysh?

I am big on Raddysh but if Philly fans aren't, that won't look like a great deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad