Prospect Info: Flyers Development Camp Thoughts

member 30781

Not saying he won't have a good season but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

I don't think he's going to pot 57 goals and 120 points, but his point production will be MUCH higher than his 53 points last season.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think he's going to pot 57 goals and 120 points, but his point production will be MUCH higher than his 53 points last season.

I don't know it was a pretty misleading comment. Mantha was already a top player in CHL during his draft year & it just went to an even crazier level the following year.

I think NAK will improve his numbers but I'm not seeing a crazy jump. It depends on games but with nearly a full season I could see 70-75 points.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Val-d'Or loses its top 5 scorers next year (NAK is actually the leading returning scorer). It will be a much different team. Good opportunity for him to get ice-time, but it doesn't look like he will have a great supporting cast.

Evergreen

Great write-ups, man. I can't really evaluate your opinions because I haven't seen any of the camp myself, but I appreciate you giving us your thoughts on how the prospects look out there. Nice job.

I'm most interested in the development of our defense prospects. With Morin, Sanheim, Gostisbehere, Alt, Hagg, and Friedman, I am beginning to have some hope that we will finally have a d-core that was developed from within. I'm always jealous when I see young guys like Josi, Brodin, Lindholm, Fowler, Maata, etc. while our defense prospects never seem to pan out. Hopefully some of our guys turn out well.

Is Pronger helping out with the defense at all? I know I'm behind on the times on this, but is Desjardins or Hatcher still involved with our defense at all?

member 30781

Great write-ups, man. I can't really evaluate your opinions because I haven't seen any of the camp myself, but I appreciate you giving us your thoughts on how the prospects look out there. Nice job.

I'm most interested in the development of our defense prospects. With Morin, Sanheim, Gostisbehere, Alt, Hagg, and Friedman, I am beginning to have some hope that we will finally have a d-core that was developed from within. I'm always jealous when I see young guys like Josi, Brodin, Lindholm, Fowler, Maata, etc. while our defense prospects never seem to pan out. Hopefully some of our guys turn out well.

Is Pronger helping out with the defense at all? I know I'm behind on the times on this, but is Desjardins or Hatcher still involved with our defense at all?

Pronger isn't at camp. Desjardins hasn't been working with the Flyers for a few years now. Hatcher isn't on the ice anymore, but may be when trainin camp starts.

As for the defense, in my opinion Hagg is the closest to making it to the NHL. I don't think he will make it out of training camp and will only be a call up due to injury this season, but top line minutes for the Phantoms will help round out his game before making the jump next year.

Morin has a boatload of potential, but the fundamentals of his game are still very raw. He's not a very good puckhandler and his offensive game needs work, but he's an efficient and strong skater. Still 2-3 years away I'd say.

Sanheim and Ghost are more comfortable with the puck and are both great skaters as well, but Ghost needs to bulk up before he gets a call up. Sanheim needs to buffer all aspects of his game, although you can see the talent and skill set are there. Ghost is closer to the NHL than Sanheim, but both still have about 2 years (Ghost maybe less).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don't think so for Pronger. Desjardins hasn't been with the organization since 09, he left to start up a business of his own. Hatcher actually replaced him as a Player Development Coach but he wasn't there for this camp I don't know what that means for his future.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't know it was a pretty misleading comment. Mantha was already a top player in CHL during his draft year & it just went to an even crazier level the following year.

I think NAK will improve his numbers but I'm not seeing a crazy jump. It depends on games but with nearly a full season I could see 70-75 points.

The way I had interpreted the 'trajectory' comment was that Mantha's jump from 89 to 120 points is about a 35% increase, which forsees Aube-Kubel to hit about 72 points which is about what you put him as well. You'd have to be happy with those numbers forsure. I was voting him right after Leier in the polls, I just don't know enough about him to put him higher than that although I love the sounds of him.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I don't think so for Pronger. Desjardins hasn't been with the organization since 09, he left to start up a business of his own. Hatcher actually replaced him as a Player Development Coach but he wasn't there for this camp I don't know what that means for his future.

Hatcher's gone. Hextall confirmed that his contract wasn't renewed

member 30781

The way I had interpreted the 'trajectory' comment was that Mantha's jump from 89 to 120 points is about a 35% increase, which forsees Aube-Kubel to hit about 72 points which is about what you put him as well. You'd have to be happy with those numbers forsure. I was voting him right after Leier in the polls, I just don't know enough about him to put him higher than that although I love the sounds of him.

Honestly, I see Aube-Kubel getting more than 72. I'd say closer to 85.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse

Pronger isn't even in Philadelphia anymore...he's moved back to St'Louis last I heard.
I think Pronger lent a hand(scouting) at the last draft in 2013 but that was it.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Pronger isn't even in Philadelphia anymore...he's moved back to St'Louis last I heard.
I think Pronger lent a hand(scouting) at the last draft in 2013 but that was it.

yup. the one guy he didn't scout was morin. I hope we can trade him to st. louis or something, would be a nice gesture by both organizations. That way he can retire, and st. louis can hire him in some capacity which will be able to make up for his lost income as a player.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
yup. the one guy he didn't scout was morin. I hope we can trade him to st. louis or something, would be a nice gesture by both organizations. That way he can retire, and st. louis can hire him in some capacity which will be able to make up for his lost income as a player.

Even if Pronger retires(which he won't give up the money) the 4.9mil still goes against the Flyers cap. Flyers are stuck either way but at least at start of the season we can put Prongs on LTIR which gives the Flyers relief.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Even if Pronger retires(which he won't give up the money) the 4.9mil still goes against the Flyers cap. Flyers are stuck either way but at least at start of the season we can put Prongs on LTIR which gives the Flyers relief.

Ah yes you're right. Retiring would be hell for us , and hurt him by leaving money on the table. I guess its something we are going to have to wait out.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Only a cap floor team would consider trading for Pronger next season when his salary drops to $575K.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
That is disappointing to hear. I can't imagine a better pro for morin to learn from. I think Hexy is coming in and putting his twist on things for better or worst.

Hatch was good in the old NHL. Hex wants to teach good fast skating, something Hatch could not due.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hatch was good in the old NHL. Hex wants to teach good fast skating, something Hatch could not due.

you can't teach someone to skate fast. If you could i think luke schenn, and others would have learned by now.

Hatcher at 6 6 could teach him a lot about positioning and the cerebral side of the game something he excelled at.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
you can't teach someone to skate fast. If you could i think luke schenn, and others would have learned by now.

Hatcher at 6 6 could teach him a lot about positioning and the cerebral side of the game something he excelled at.

System wise it is important. How to move the feet and what not can be taught to 17/18 yr olds. Abit different then teaching a 23 yr old who was in the NHL since 18.

Positioning during Hatch's years are alot different then today's positioning techniques.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
My final installment of thoughts on Flyers Development Camp. The morning's group worked on puck battles, 1-on-1's, and 2-on-1's. In the afternoon, the prospects split up into 4 teams to scrimmage each other. Here are my in-depth reviews on the day and overall.

http://thehockeywriters.com/rezniks-ramblings-thoughts-on-final-day-of-flyers-development-camp/

Thanks for the great coverage... Very appreciated! Most of your analysis were well correlated with my opinions of our prospects which made it really nice and even nicer about the little known prospects that I know quite little about myself like Amorosa, Willcox, and Alderson in particular who aren't new to the system. You've got me excited about NAK though, whom I honestly know nothing about. The only wingers we've drafted in the top 3 rounds since JVR (1st) and Klotz (3rd) in '07 are now Goulbourne (3rd) and NAK (2nd). Pretty sad but it's exciting having picked up a scoring winger prospect now.

Again, thanks! Its invaluable to have someone who seems well versed providing us with prospect camp coverage and insight. The more the merrier.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks for the great coverage... Very appreciated! Most of your analysis were well correlated with my opinions of our prospects which made it really nice and even nicer about the little known prospects that I know quite little about myself like Amorosa, Willcox, and Alderson in particular who aren't new to the system. You've got me excited about NAK though, whom I honestly know nothing about. The only wingers we've drafted in the top 3 rounds since JVR (1st) and Klotz (3rd) in '07 are now Goulbourne (3rd) and NAK (2nd). Pretty sad but it's exciting having picked up a scoring winger prospect now.

Again, thanks! Its invaluable to have someone who seems well versed providing us with prospect camp coverage and insight. The more the merrier.

A big thanks from me, too, Shawn. Your descriptions seemed pretty balanced; ie, neither over-the-top fanboy stuff nor criticism for the sake of criticism. If nothing else, your write-ups pass the time while we wait for the new season to get here.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I think I'm glad our camp is so low key. Just reading the Sabres board making serious projections based on a prospect camp scrimmage is making my eyes bleed a little.

Though, I guess when every half decent hockey player your team has is traded for picks, the prospect camp scrimmage is the highlight of the year... :laugh:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think I'm glad our camp is so low key. Just reading the Sabres board making serious projections based on a prospect camp scrimmage is making my eyes bleed a little.

Though, I guess when every half decent hockey player your team has is traded for picks, the prospect camp scrimmage is the highlight of the year... :laugh:

They have no choice but to think they are seeing most of their line-up for next season. ;) I can't be too critical; I like what the Sabres FO has done this off-season for the most part. They have a very strong talent pool with their prospects, whom they have surrounded with some good veterans, and they have 3 (?) picks in the first round in 2015. What's not to like about that?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
They have no choice but to think they are seeing most of their line-up for next season. ;) I can't be too critical; I like what the Sabres FO has done this off-season for the most part. They have a very strong talent pool with their prospects, whom they have surrounded with some good veterans, and they have 3 (?) picks in the first round in 2015. What's not to like about that?
I agree that Murray is putting together one hell of a collection, but I do think Zadorov and Reinhart are both a bit overrated. Zadorov, especially.

I think Ristolainen and Girgensons (and their 2015 1st rounder) will be their true building blocks.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that Murray is putting together one hell of a collection, but I do think Zadorov and Reinhart are both a bit overrated. Zadorov, especially.

I think Ristolainen and Girgensons (and their 2015 1st rounder) will be their true building blocks.

I heard from a few places that Zadorov looked lazy at times during their camp too, if it's true then that's not a great quality in a player who will always be critiqued a bit more just because he's Russian. Like I said in that other thread, I'm very happy we took Morin and I wouldn't swap them 1 for 1 if given a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad