Prospect Info: Flyers Development Camp Thoughts

member 30781

From what I've seen (not very much) and read, Pettersson's stride sounds a lot like Timonen's. Not beautiful, but quick, kind of choppy, and effective.

That's exactly the player I compare him to in regards to skating. Pettersson and Timonen are eerily similar in the way they skate.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
That's exactly the player I compare him to in regards to skating. Pettersson and Timonen are eerily similar in the way they skate.

We can only hope the brains are comparable, too.

Honestly, I'm more excited about Pettersson than I've ever been about a seventh rounder (drafted by us). And we've had some fairly promising seventh rounders (Ranford, Eriksson, Lauridsen).

I'm a big fan of taking overage Europeans with the later picks. Once a European's draft year comes and goes, scouts pay much less attention making it much easier to get a guy that's not on many teams' radar.

SgtJoseph*

Very hard worker that battles everywhere. Strong on the puck and difficult to knock off given how much muscle he has. Underrated skating and hands. Projects as a 4th line energy player.

I really liked Homer picking Goulbourne up last year in the draft..........I hope the lad continues to progress his way all the way up to the big show in the next few years ! He will be a big hit with Flyers fans !

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
We can only hope the brains are comparable, too.

Honestly, I'm more excited about Pettersson than I've ever been about a seventh rounder (drafted by us). And we've had some fairly promising seventh rounders (Ranford, Eriksson, Lauridsen).

I'm a big fan of taking overage Europeans with the later picks. Once a European's draft year comes and goes, scouts pay much less attention making it much easier to get a guy that's not on many teams' radar.

Speaking of Timonen, is he the most successful player drafted after 250th or later? Anybody know?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Speaking of Timonen, is he the most successful player drafted after 250th or later? Anybody know?

1982, 1984-1994 & 1998-2004 were the years with 250 or more picks

Timonen
Holmstrom
Streit
Rinne
Moulson
Kim Johnsson
Halak

Are probably the best of the bunch, before guys like Jonathan Ericsson, Winnik, Berezin, German Titov, Burish, Cajanek, Hansen, Parenteau and David Jones.

And Timonen is therefore certainly the best and most individually successful player of that bunch.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really liked Homer picking Goulbourne up last year in the draft..........I hope the lad continues to progress his way all the way up to the big show in the next few years ! He will be a big hit with Flyers fans !

I like Goulbourne as a player. He gets more crap around here because of something that was out his control but I think he can be a solid 4th liner for us in the mold of Brandon Prust.

I still think it was unwise to use a third rounder on him with upside still on the board but I don't think he's a bad player taking that out of the equation.

member 30781

So happy that the people I want to do well are doing well :). Kinda sucks that Cousins hasn't been that good :/.

It's not that Cousins has done poorly. He's just been average at best. He's another one of those potential future energy line players with some skill. Will need more conditioning in the AHL before getting a call up.

member 30781

I like Goulbourne as a player. He gets more crap around here because of something that was out his control but I think he can be a solid 4th liner for us in the mold of Brandon Prust.

I still think it was unwise to use a third rounder on him with upside still on the board but I don't think he's a bad player taking that out of the equation.

For a 3rd rounder, Goulbourne was a bit of a stretch. I recall after the draft him speaking to a reporter saying he was amazed the Flyers took him that high. Was expecting to go in the later rounds. Having said that, he's been one of the better players in camp. As I mentioned in my 2nd day of reviews, Meltzer had a report saying that Hextall offered him an AHL-only deal that his agent told him not to accept. He will work his ass off in training camp to impress management into giving him a regular ELC, but we'll wait to cross that bridge when we get to it.

You mentioned Prust being a similar style player to Goulbourne. If you want to look at anyone on the Flyers who draws a striking resemblance to him, it's Zac Rinaldo. Both are short and stocky. Both are hard workers who like to mix it up. The advantage Goulbourne has is that even with his chippy play, he doesn't go over the edge as much as Rinaldo might. Plus he has a much better skill set now than Rinaldo did when he was in juniors. You could even argue that Goulbourne has the better skill set between the two at this time. I feel Goulbourne will be a player that can slip right into the Flyers lineup in Rinaldo's place whenever he leaves or goes down with injury.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
For a 3rd rounder, Goulbourne was a bit of a stretch. I recall after the draft him speaking to a reporter saying he was amazed the Flyers took him that high. Was expecting to go in the later rounds. Having said that, he's been one of the better players in camp. As I mentioned in my 2nd day of reviews, Meltzer had a report saying that Hextall offered him an AHL-only deal that his agent told him not to accept. He will work his ass off in training camp to impress management into giving him a regular ELC, but we'll wait to cross that bridge when we get to it.

You mentioned Prust being a similar style player to Goulbourne. If you want to look at anyone on the Flyers who draws a striking resemblance to him, it's Zac Rinaldo. Both are short and stocky. Both are hard workers who like to mix it up. The advantage Goulbourne has is that even with his chippy play, he doesn't go over the edge as much as Rinaldo might. Plus he has a much better skill set now than Rinaldo did when he was in juniors. You could even argue that Goulbourne has the better skill set between the two at this time. I feel Goulbourne will be a player that can slip right into the Flyers lineup in Rinaldo's place whenever he leaves or goes down with injury.

The one area that Goulbourne HAS to surpass Rinaldo in to make in in the NHL is in defensive/PK abilities. It is a serious liability to have a 4th line fighter that can't score and can't play adequate defense without potentially putting you down a man (or 2 on the PK).

Everyone would love a great pound for pound fighter like Goulbourne on the Flyers, but it can't come at the detriment of 2, 3, 4 other areas.

member 30781

The one area that Goulbourne HAS to surpass Rinaldo in to make in in the NHL is in defensive/PK abilities. It is a serious liability to have a 4th line fighter that can't score and can't play adequate defense without potentially putting you down a man (or 2 on the PK).

Everyone would love a great pound for pound fighter like Goulbourne on the Flyers, but it can't come at the detriment of 2, 3, 4 other areas.

There weren't many defensive drills other than the keepaway one at today's camp where he did well at stealing the puck a few times. Not enough to gauge his defensive game, so I'll be looking out for that tomorrow morning and on Tuesday.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wish they still had the scrimmage at camp. I get why they got rid of it, but it was nice to see guys play in a game situation. You get a lot better grasp on players as everyone is on the same playing field/ice. Also got a preview of some of the college free agents.

member 30781

Wish they still had the scrimmage at camp. I get why they got rid of it, but it was nice to see guys play in a game situation. You get a lot better grasp on players as everyone is on the same playing field/ice. Also got a preview of some of the college free agents.

I think they may do it the last day of camp on Tuesday.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think they may do it the last day of camp on Tuesday.

Not sure. They used to play it on the Sunday of camp. Maybe they play some simulated situations, but as I recall Laperriere saying last year, they didn't want guys coming to camp in game shape, and therefore weren't going to scrimmage for fear of injuries.

I remember a couple year's ago an undrafted kid took a run at McGinn (who had his head down) and smoked him. Then they fought to start the next period and McGinn smoked him. :laugh:

sallahoose

May 13, 2014
I went on Friday and I have to say I like Alderson more than before. I noticed his hands were better than I thought, he had a variety of shots. Snipe backhand he was kind of dangling and dekin in tight to the goalie..i didnt see much of that from anyone else. Like Straka has a nice shot..but he kinda shot the same place everytime. Now i know i know it was like a 20 minute sample size so take it for what its worth..but point being I liked Alderson alot.
Hagg is the real deal too...just by how he was skating away from the puck and how he was dishing it off and how he looked so in control of the puck. Sounds like most of you already knew that tho..
Leier, Golbourne, Willcox, and obviously Laughton all looked pretty good too...

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Though I'm not a fan of Goulbourne and even less Rinaldo, a thought occurred to me about Holmgren's famous quote that Goulbourne was Z2.0: could it be that he meant he saw Goulbourne as the player the organization wished Rinaldo was (tough energy hitter/fighter who could PK and put the occasional garbage goal)?

Apologies if this epiphany of mine has been mused elsewhere.

member 30781

Though I'm not a fan of Goulbourne and even less Rinaldo, a thought occurred to me about Holmgren's famous quote that Goulbourne was Z2.0: could it be that he meant he saw Goulbourne as the player the organization wished Rinaldo was (tough energy hitter/fighter who could PK and put the occasional garbage goal)?

Apologies if this epiphany of mine has been mused elsewhere.

At the time no. But Goulbourne will likely slip into Rinaldo's spot and be a catalyst on offense (something Zac is not).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
One of the more fun players to watch at camp, Aube-Kubel might have a similar trajectory that Anthony Mantha did this past year. With Mantha likely moving to the NHL/AHL, Aube-Kubel will be getting first line minutes and will probably score a great deal more than he did this season.

Not saying he won't have a good season but the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
These are really nice write-ups. Glad I found them and thanks for sharing.

Granted, it was just a short video, but Lindblom surprised me in the videos from camp on the Flyers' website. Had the look of a player and his skating seemed much more agile than the draft scouting reports had me expecting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad