Prospect Info: Flyers Development Camp Thoughts

member 30781

I will be going to every day of the prospect development camp this week. Yesterday was the first day where both forwards and defensemen took to the ice to work on fundamentals in stickhandling and a few skating drills. Here are my thoughts on some prospects who were impressive, average, and underwhelming:

http://thehockeywriters.com/flyers-development-camp-thoughts/

I will be posting another article in the next few hours from what I saw today.

2nd day thoughts: http://thehockeywriters.com/2nd-day-flyers-development-camp/

3rd day thoughts: http://thehockeywriters.com/3rd-day-flyers-development-camp/

4th day thoughts: http://thehockeywriters.com/rezniks-ramblings-thoughts-on-4th-day-of-flyers-development-camp/

Final day thoughts: http://thehockeywriters.com/rezniks-ramblings-thoughts-on-final-day-of-flyers-development-camp/

Last edited by a moderator:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Nice write-up, always good to hear different opinions on how prospects look like in camp and even better if someone can draw comparisons and refer to last year's prospect camp!

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Appreciate the write up, but I don't think I can use any development camp info to glean any pertinent info about these players. This is basically a meet and greet for the young kids, and the on-ice portions really aren't for any purpose other than to keep them on the ice.

I see lots of fans around the league so enthused by what they're seeing from their kids, but there are plenty of solid NHLers who would look bad in this type of setting and plenty of AHL guys who would look fantastic. Just because a guy like HoSang, for example, is scoring goals in a 3v3 competition at the Isles camp doesn't mean anything regarding his skill set or ultimate potential.

The most I can take out of this stuff is the athletic development from year to year. Morin showing up at 225 is more encouraging to me than any prospect making cool moves stickhandling around a pylon in practice.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I'm not going to draw any firm conclusions positive nor bad based off this camp when there's really no live action nor pressure type feel to the camp.

I'll at least wait for big camp to get better a feel on players when that stuff does come into play.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Thanks for both write-ups. NAK sounds like he was impressive.

I think Straka really has his work cut out for him, unfortunately.

member 30781

Thanks for both write-ups. NAK sounds like he was impressive.

I think Straka really has his work cut out for him, unfortunately.

Straka hasn't been good at all. It sucks because I've had hope for him for a few years. Thought he'd have a shot to play in the NHL this year for a few games, but it doesn't look like he will.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Thanks!

edit: It sounds like Morin has a lot to gain by spending a final year in juniors playing top line PP and gaining some game experience and confidence with the puck. I'm sure he can use some more time getting used to his height and especially the additional 20 pounds.

Ghoul sounds like he could be ready to start working on an ahl bottom-6 role. My only big reservation with him is worry that some of the older, bigger fighters pick on him and he's not ready for it. But we added Stortini to absorb head trauma for these reasons, I'm on the fence with where he should land.

I'd like to see Laughton start the season with the Phantoms as pointed out by Hextall in your writeup. That team compared to last offseason is completely revamped. Now that we have prospects to nurture, we have to create a winning environment down there and they'd need Laughton down there to help make up for the assumed loss of Akeson's offence to the Flyers.

I haven't really looked at who our complete Phantoms roster could have on it, has anyone pencilled up any potential lineups?

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Straka hasn't been good at all. It sucks because I've had hope for him for a few years. Thought he'd have a shot to play in the NHL this year for a few games, but it doesn't look like he will.

Its interesting you said his speed has been bad. As someone who watches the Phantoms, most can agree he has very good speed. Also to go with his poor puck handling yesterday which is also odd since he is probably the phantoms best skilled possession player other than Akeson. Not that I am doubting you but I never seen these two things as problems. They were more his strength last season. Consistency issues and defensive issues plagued him. I remember completely forgetting he played at times when I was watching the phantoms.

Like I said, not doubting you. I am not there. But it is definitely weird.

Also did you think Willcox did well? Reason I asked because in your first article you said he didnt do well in certain things. Sportsology was saying he looked like the best defender out there.

member 30781

Its interesting you said his speed has been bad. As someone who watches the Phantoms, most can agree he has very good speed. Also to go with his poor puck handling yesterday which is also odd since he is probably the phantoms best skilled possession player other than Akeson. Not that I am doubting you but I never seen these two things as problems. They were more his strength last season. Consistency issues and defensive issues plagued him. I remember completely forgetting he played at times when I was watching the phantoms.

Like I said, not doubting you. I am not there. But it is definitely weird.

Also did you think Willcox did well? Reason I asked because in your first article you said he didnt do well in certain things. Sportsology was saying he looked like the best defender out there.

I know he has puck skills. I've seen them over the years. Today his skating wasn't there. I didn't talk to him today, but it could be that he hasn't been on the ice since the phantoms season ended. I know not skating for some time can make a player rusty so that may be the cause.

Today Willcox was much better. I don't think he was the best defenseman out there today. I was chatting with Russ today and he likes Willcox a lot. I do too, but he doesn't get a fair shake since he plays college while others are going the quicker route though junior. The only issue he had today was acceleration. Other than that he was great all-around.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I like the comment on Hagg looking like he never put in 100% effort while still impressing...

I have probably seen the guy play ~30-35 full games now in his career and I have never seen him look like he is breaking a sweat! Such an effortless player... though while it is a pleasure to watch when he is 'on' if he cocks up, especially on his gap control it does look like cocky lackadaisical play, though it is not!

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Looks like a new clique is beginning to form with Sanheim, Morin, Fazleev, Aube-Kubel and Friedman. I'm really liking this comraderie amongst the prospects. Not all of them will make it, but it's good to see a group who are getting what this is all about. I really think that Sanheim and Morin are going to be the top 2 pairing on this club in the near future and it's good to see them bonding.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Thanks for sharing your perspectives, Shawn. Though we should all be taking everything with a grain of salt, it's a very enjoyable read and a good glimpse at an actual, honest-to-goodness prospect pool.

Of all the write-ups and interview video, I'd say the biggest plus for me is the interview with Laughton where he talks about helping out the younger guys coming into camp. That just oozes natural leadership, and I love hearing that from him, which demonstrates his confidence in being a camp 'vet'.

My expectations for the big club are middling, but I think the Phantoms should put in a good showing and get the organization back on track for developing their own talent.

One question: who are the principal coaches running the drills? What are they reacting to and encouraging from the players? (Okay, two questions)

member 30781

Thanks for sharing your perspectives, Shawn. Though we should all be taking everything with a grain of salt, it's a very enjoyable read and a good glimpse at an actual, honest-to-goodness prospect pool.

Of all the write-ups and interview video, I'd say the biggest plus for me is the interview with Laughton where he talks about helping out the younger guys coming into camp. That just oozes natural leadership, and I love hearing that from him, which demonstrates his confidence in being a camp 'vet'.

My expectations for the big club are middling, but I think the Phantoms should put in a good showing and get the organization back on track for developing their own talent.

One question: who are the principal coaches running the drills? What are they reacting to and encouraging from the players? (Okay, two questions)

I don't intend for these to be write ups where everyone can make projections of what these players will be in the coming years. It's just watching what they do during drills and reporting. At the end of development camp I will be doing an in-depth look at how each player did.

And the Flyers developmental camp coaches are Kjell Samuelsson, John Riley, Riley Cote, & skating coach Slava Kouznetsov. They are all looking to see what players are doing wrong in their drills or what they need to fix so they don't run into bad habits. If a player screws up or shows something that needs buffering, the coach will take him aside for 10-15 seconds, run it by him, explain how to do it correctly, and let him go back and work on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't intend for these to be write ups where everyone can make projections of what these players will be in the coming years. It's just watching what they do during drills and reporting. At the end of development camp I will be doing an in-depth look at how each player did.

And the Flyers developmental camp coaches are Kjell Samuelsson, John Riley, Riley Cote, & skating coach Slava Kouznetsov. They are all looking to see what players are doing wrong in their drills or what they need to fix so they don't run into bad habits. If a player screws up or shows something that needs buffering, the coach will take him aside for 10-15 seconds, run it by him, explain how to do it correctly, and let him go back and work on it.

Thanks, Shawn. And I hope you didn't take the "grain of salt" statement as a criticism. I intended it as a matter-of-fact reflection of the nature of rookie camp.

I am interested in the coaching approach because the Flyer obviously have high-quality talent in their system, so the issue of properly developing it is huge. I remember posters in the past being not so thrilled with Samuelsson's (for example) work with the rookies. It's essential, from my POV, that the coaching staff use this opportunity to begin to ingrain in the young players that they need to be completely into the program both for their development as (hopefully) future NHLers and for their integration into the Fluers team structure and playing style.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I like the comment on Hagg looking like he never put in 100% effort while still impressing...

I have probably seen the guy play ~30-35 full games now in his career and I have never seen him look like he is breaking a sweat! Such an effortless player... though while it is a pleasure to watch when he is 'on' if he cocks up, especially on his gap control it does look like cocky lackadaisical play, though it is not!

So he is going to be chastised by the Flyers fans as much as Carter was. :sarcasm:

BrimFullofAsham45

Dec 22, 2002

Typical Swede. "Lagom"

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
It seems like every year the new picks get the most fan and media attention and every year we get a bit of a feel for the kids that we just drafted. Maybe its just crazy optimism but it seems like when I gather together tweets and facebook posts and forums and so on from this years group it seems like we made some pretty great selections. Oblivious they won't all make it but when you are heading good things about late picks it feels pretty good.

When I look back at some old notes I see that guy like Nodl, Noebels, Matsumoto, Laliberte, Marshall and Poutulny all got some high praise so we still need to take it with a grain of salt I guess. But other guys who we liked have gone on to have fantastic careers too.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Appreciate the write up, but I don't think I can use any development camp info to glean any pertinent info about these players. This is basically a meet and greet for the young kids, and the on-ice portions really aren't for any purpose other than to keep them on the ice.

I see lots of fans around the league so enthused by what they're seeing from their kids, but there are plenty of solid NHLers who would look bad in this type of setting and plenty of AHL guys who would look fantastic. Just because a guy like HoSang, for example, is scoring goals in a 3v3 competition at the Isles camp doesn't mean anything regarding his skill set or ultimate potential.

The most I can take out of this stuff is the athletic development from year to year. Morin showing up at 225 is more encouraging to me than any prospect making cool moves stickhandling around a pylon in practice.

I agree.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I really don't like a lot of the quotes coming from the organization regarding the young guys. I completely agree that none of them should be penciled into the line up, but it just sounds like they are trying to over sell the idea that these guys should start with the Phantoms.

If they come to camp and aren't ready, then they should start in the AHL. However, if Laughton is one of the 12 best forwards in camp...he should be on the team. If any of Ghost/Morin/Hagg/Alt are one of the 6 best D at camp...they should be on the team. I hope that is the mindset of the organization going into camp...and that they don't just want to stack the Phantoms in order to sell tickets in Allentown...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00