Prospect Info: Flyers Development Camp Thoughts

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I agree that Murray is putting together one hell of a collection, but I do think Zadorov and Reinhart are both a bit overrated. Zadorov, especially.

I think Ristolainen and Girgensons (and their 2015 1st rounder) will be their true building blocks.

I find it weird how he's at their development camp, to me he's an established player in the NHL after last year. He was one of the few bright spots on a lousy team & even played well in the Olympics & World Championships with Latvia.

I just don't think it's worth a potential injury plus he's taking the spotlight away from other guys who are trying to get where he's at.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I heard from a few places that Zadorov looked lazy at times during their camp too, if it's true then that's not a great quality in a player who will always be critiqued a bit more just because he's Russian. Like I said in that other thread, I'm very happy we took Morin and I wouldn't swap them 1 for 1 if given a chance.

Zadorov looked lazy in London, too. He's an excellent skater, but he doesn't use his speed enough.

I would totally agree re Morin v. Zadorov. From all I've seen of both players, I see Morin always moving his feet. Zadorov is a bit more naturally gifted in terms of skill, but I think he's missing the package that puts it all together.

He's not a very intense player, and I can see him becoming exactly the type of player that frustrates a fan base with uninspired play.

I find it weird how he's at their development camp, to me he's an established player in the NHL after last year. He was one of the few bright spots on a lousy team & even played well in the Olympics & World Championships with Latvia.

I just don't think it's worth a potential injury plus he's taking the spotlight away from other guys who are trying to get where he's at.

Yeah, I didn't realize he was there until I read reports from their scrimmage today. That is pretty odd.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Zadorov looked lazy in London, too. He's an excellent skater, but he doesn't use his speed enough.

I would totally agree re Morin v. Zadorov. From all I've seen of both players, I see Morin always moving his feet. Zadorov is a bit more naturally gifted in terms of skill, but I think he's missing the package that puts it all together.

He's not a very intense player, and I can see him becoming exactly the type of player that frustrates a fan base with uninspired play.

Absolutely, I'd rather have the guy that sometimes lets his intensity get the better of him than someone whose effort is questioned. Maybe Morin doesn't end up the way we all hope, but it sure as hell won't be for lack of effort or intensity. That's the kind of player you win with and it's infectious to teammates.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

London fans only want him back so they can trade him, otherwise the majority want no parts of him playing in a London uniform next year (they also don't want Domi back for the same reasons to be fair though).

The one guy did a rating system out of 5 in that thread & gave Zadorov a 5 for compete level which drew in a London fan laughing at that claim which wasn't well received by Buffalo fans & that one random Montreal fan lol.

Ultimately I think he should be the NHL next year full time based off talent but I see him back in the OHL if he doesn't find a way to lite a fire underneath him. He looked like miss daisy out there during the Memorial Cup & from reading the London boards throughout the year (for info on Stolarz) it was just an isolated event.

member 30781

A big thanks from me, too, Shawn. Your descriptions seemed pretty balanced; ie, neither over-the-top fanboy stuff nor criticism for the sake of criticism. If nothing else, your write-ups pass the time while we wait for the new season to get here.

Thanks for the great coverage... Very appreciated! Most of your analysis were well correlated with my opinions of our prospects which made it really nice and even nicer about the little known prospects that I know quite little about myself like Amorosa, Willcox, and Alderson in particular who aren't new to the system. You've got me excited about NAK though, whom I honestly know nothing about. The only wingers we've drafted in the top 3 rounds since JVR (1st) and Klotz (3rd) in '07 are now Goulbourne (3rd) and NAK (2nd). Pretty sad but it's exciting having picked up a scoring winger prospect now.

Again, thanks! Its invaluable to have someone who seems well versed providing us with prospect camp coverage and insight. The more the merrier.

Really appreciate the kind words. It was the first time I was able to cover development camp and thoroughly enjoyed sharing my opinions with all of you. When I originally started writing, I was covering prospects so it's nice to have been able to cover the draft this year and then get a chance to see some of the Flyers' home grown talent. If you have any other questions I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
My final installment of thoughts on Flyers Development Camp. The morning's group worked on puck battles, 1-on-1's, and 2-on-1's. In the afternoon, the prospects split up into 4 teams to scrimmage each other. Here are my in-depth reviews on the day and overall.

http://thehockeywriters.com/rezniks-ramblings-thoughts-on-final-day-of-flyers-development-camp/

Great write ups. I wish I was able to go this season but geography no longer allows.

If you get a chance, can you fill us in on how the tournaments went? Also, your breakdown of Petterson got me excited. It had me picturing an up-and-coming Danny Markov. Can any comparisons be drawn between the two?

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
They have no choice but to think they are seeing most of their line-up for next season. ;) I can't be too critical; I like what the Sabres FO has done this off-season for the most part. They have a very strong talent pool with their prospects, whom they have surrounded with some good veterans, and they have 3 (?) picks in the first round in 2015. What's not to like about that?

Damn, they have 3 first rounders? Who's do they have besides their own?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If you get a chance, can you fill us in on how the tournaments went? Also, your breakdown of Petterson got me excited. It had me picturing an up-and-coming Danny Markov. Can any comparisons be drawn between the two?

Well for starters Markov was a much larger man plus had some pretty productive offensive seasons despite being injured nearly every season.

Someone compared him to Franky Bouillon with Montreal in the other thread as best case scenario. A very undersized feisty defensive defensemen with a little bit of offensive. It's probably the best one out there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It'd be amazing if Hagg or someone else was ready to play full time halfway through the season and then at the trade deadline we could trade someone for some picks.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Well for starters Markov was a much larger man plus had some pretty productive offensive seasons despite being injured nearly every season.

Someone compared him to Franky Bouillon with Montreal in the other thread as best case scenario. A very undersized feisty defensive defensemen with a little bit of offensive. It's probably the best one out there.

Good call, that's not a bad one either.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a dedicated skating coach to go along with Kjell this year at camp?

Yup, some Russian guy.

I don't think you can draw conclusions that just because a player didn't play in this era means they know nothing about it when it comes to coaching & such. If that were the case the majority of the coaches & the executives in the league wouldn't be employed.

Hatch was let go for whatever reason but it's pretty disingenuous to draw that conclusion.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pretty sure they said they've been working with the skating instructor for the last couple of years. Not a new development.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty sure they said they've been working with the skating instructor for the last couple of years. Not a new development.

He's been their skating coach for a while now but this is the first time they brought him to camp since they ran more traditional camps in the past & didn't focus as much on just pure skill elements like they did this year.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yup, some Russian guy.

I don't think you can draw conclusions that just because a player didn't play in this era means they know nothing about it when it comes to coaching & such. If that were the case the majority of the coaches & the executives in the league wouldn't be employed.

Hatch was let go for whatever reason but it's pretty disingenuous to draw that conclusion.

As disingenuous as saying it was Hex leaving his mark.

Plus my point was more so regarding "Hatch could really help the young defenders" or whatever it was thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00