Prospect Info: Flyers Development Camp Thoughts

member 30781

I really don't like a lot of the quotes coming from the organization regarding the young guys. I completely agree that none of them should be penciled into the line up, but it just sounds like they are trying to over sell the idea that these guys should start with the Phantoms.

If they come to camp and aren't ready, then they should start in the AHL. However, if Laughton is one of the 12 best forwards in camp...he should be on the team. If any of Ghost/Morin/Hagg/Alt are one of the 6 best D at camp...they should be on the team. I hope that is the mindset of the organization going into camp...and that they don't just want to stack the Phantoms in order to sell tickets in Allentown...

With the exception of Laughton (and maybe Hagg), no one is ready to play for the Flyers.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I really don't like a lot of the quotes coming from the organization regarding the young guys. I completely agree that none of them should be penciled into the line up, but it just sounds like they are trying to over sell the idea that these guys should start with the Phantoms.

If they come to camp and aren't ready, then they should start in the AHL. However, if Laughton is one of the 12 best forwards in camp...he should be on the team. If any of Ghost/Morin/Hagg/Alt are one of the 6 best D at camp...they should be on the team. I hope that is the mindset of the organization going into camp...and that they don't just want to stack the Phantoms in order to sell tickets in Allentown...

No worries, Hextall just wants them to earn a spot, he's not giving anything away and there's nothing wrong with that. Also said he'd rather a kid play 18min in Allentown instead of 6min or a healthy scratch in the bigs. Nothing wrong with that either. And he mentioned that it's real easy to trade a dman if one of the kids blows them away at camp and forces their hand. I think Hexy sounds like he has a good grip on the situation.

MrMajestyk

Oct 12, 2013
With the exception of Laughton (and maybe Hagg), no one is ready to play for the Flyers.

I know I'm going to sound like a jerk but writing for a blog for a couple years doesn't make you a master talent evaluator. Especially a few days into an initial prospect camp. Might want to cut back on the finite statements and throw in an "in my opinion" every once in a while.

member 30781

I know I'm going to sound like a jerk but writing for a blog for a couple years doesn't make you a master talent evaluator. Especially a few days into an initial prospect camp. Might want to cut back on the finite statements and throw in an "in my opinion" every once in a while.

I have thick skin. I'm here to give my opinions. You can take them or leave them.

member 30781

What impressed you about Goulbourne?

Very hard worker that battles everywhere. Strong on the puck and difficult to knock off given how much muscle he has. Underrated skating and hands. Projects as a 4th line energy player.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
The organization doesn't care about selling tickets in Allentown, there's no money to be made in the AHL (chump change). If a player isn't on the team then it's cause he's not good enough. Note the use of the word enough, which is of course relative. Sure Laughton is a better hockey player then Rinaldo but they're not necessarily in competition for the same spot whether we like it or not.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
The organization doesn't care about selling tickets in Allentown, there's no money to be made in the AHL (chump change). If a player isn't on the team then it's cause he's not good enough. Note the use of the word enough, which is of course relative. Sure Laughton is a better hockey player then Rinaldo but they're not necessarily in competition for the same spot whether we like it or not.

I'm pretty sure the reason why players the Flyers consider as possible starters/major minutes guy in the future would be on the Phantoms next year and not the Flyers isn't because they're trying to get better attendance for the Phantoms... but when the Phantoms were in Philly the organization DEFINITELY did make signings for the purpose of attendance with the Phantoms.

Keeping a guy like Vandermeer or "The animal" around just because of fan connections. I'd like list Peter White in there, but I think that was more of a 'family' connection than his popularity with Phantoms ticket buyers.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm pretty sure the reason why players the Flyers consider as possible starters/major minutes guy in the future would be on the Phantoms next year and not the Flyers isn't because they're trying to get better attendance for the Phantoms... but when the Phantoms were in Philly the organization DEFINITELY did make signings for the purpose of attendance with the Phantoms.

Keeping a guy like Vandermeer or "The animal" around just because of fan connections. I'd like list Peter White in there, but I think that was more of a 'family' connection than his popularity with Phantoms ticket buyers.

I think they're more concerned with just getting these kids playing time, and letting their game develop properly. You have to remember that the leap in skill level from any amateur league to the NHL is huge, and it's hard for a lot of kids to adjust to it. Especially if they're only getting 5 minutes a night with terrible line mates. It's much more beneficial to let them see 15~20 a night down in the AHL, unless they've completely proven that they're ready to play on the big team.

member 30781

I think they're more concerned with just getting these kids playing time, and letting their game develop properly. You have to remember that the leap in skill level from any amateur league to the NHL is huge, and it's hard for a lot of kids to adjust to it. Especially if they're only getting 5 minutes a night with terrible line mates. It's much more beneficial to let them see 15~20 a night down in the AHL, unless they've completely proven that they're ready to play on the big team.

Hextall mentioned during the Town Hall Meeting that he's excited at having more Flyers prospects with the Phantoms this season to learn and develop together.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think the Phantoms will be significantly better next season and hopefully they'll actually make the playoffs. That'd help the prospects development a lot.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

I think that's more so because playing in front of fans instead of empty seats is better for the morale of the players. Again, there's no real money to be made in the AHL. I remember buying ice level Philadelphia Phantoms tickets for $33 after all fees and such. Can't make much money from that.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

Laughton is the main guy I am referring too. Pryor/Berube's comments caught me off guard because I would think Laughton is a guy they should be hoping makes the team. I get wanting someone to get more minutes in the AHL...but given the type of player he is, I think he would be better served playing in the bottom 6/on the pk with the Flyers than being a first liner in the AHL.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Disagree. There is only money to be made in investing and developing a satellite market. That's why they built the arena and moved the team there (it's also underserved, the UHL tried moving there years ago). If they didn't care about the market, they would have just dumped them in Trenton. There's value in building your footprint. They don't want Penguins fans and Caps fans to be creeping in like they have in Scranton and Harrisburg.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Disagree. There is only money to be made in investing and developing a satellite market. That's why they built the arena and moved the team there (it's also underserved, the UHL tried moving there years ago). If they didn't care about the market, they would have just dumped them in Trenton. There's value in building your footprint. They don't want Penguins fans and Caps fans to be creeping in like they have in Scranton and Harrisburg.

Exactly, if you give an area a successful minor league franchise then you gain fans in that area. Usually those fans then also become fans of the parent franchise, which will make them real money. Even though the Lehigh Valley is already a Flyers area because of how close we are to Philly, it doesn't hurt to gain even more exposure and awareness by reaching people who may not be hardcore hockey fans. Give them something fun to do in the area and give them a bigger reason to become interested in the sport, and by extension the Flyers. They're probably not going to be making a lot of money off strictly ticket sales but this is a fantastic move from a marketing standpoint. Same thing with becoming affiliated with the Reading Royals.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Maybe I should clarify. I was responding to someone who said he hopes the organization doesn't keep the prospects ready to make the jump in the AHL just to sell tickets. That simply won't be the case. Obviously the organization wants a respectable AHL affiliate but they won't keep Laughton, Ghost etc in the minors just to sell tickets. If they're good enough (again relative phrase) they'll be in the NHL.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011

Come on man, Shawn is just sharing with the rest of us about what he saw in his own words, whether you agree or not show some support it takes balls to put your writings out there, the least we can do is show our gratitude towards a fellow Flyers fan just trying to be helpful about the prospects camp

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Come on man, Shawn is just sharing with the rest of us about what he saw in his own words, whether you agree or not show some support it takes balls to put your writings out there, the least we can do is show our gratitude towards a fellow Flyers fan just trying to be helpful about the prospects camp

No doubt I appreciate Shawn's work and reports, but I can't take seriously categorical statements being made out of development camp. There's just not enough you can take out of drills to make claims on a player's development or NHL readiness.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I like reading development camp write-ups. Hearing examples of a late rounder's strong work ethic or impressive raw skillset helps paint a picture of what those prospects are like and what to look for in the future. I wouldn't make any real judgments from them, but they're interesting nonetheless.

Thanks, Shawn :)

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
From what I've seen (not very much) and read, Pettersson's stride sounds a lot like Timonen's. Not beautiful, but quick, kind of choppy, and effective.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
How much input do the Flyers have in all that, since Comcast Spectator no longer owns the team or arena?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad