Friedman: Flyers considering a reunion with Jeff Carter?

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
Rather have Carter if that was the choice.

I just dont see much value in keeping Carter at this point by the time were back to a playoff team he'll be retired most likely. And we have enough mentors in Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick to help the youth.

Might as well gain some assets for him when it looks like we could get some value out of him

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
This all depends on how much salary LA is willing to eat IMO. If they retain 50%, I’d have no issue moving a 2nd+B prospects. Carter has plenty left to give and would be able to slide up and down the Flyers lineup.

Id think the Flyers would have some leverage here too considering Carter likely isn’t to keen on the idea of moving this late in his career.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Rob Blake will probably trade him for Raffl, Chris Bigras, a conditional 7th round pick and a Voracek bobblehead

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Rob Blake will probably trade him for Raffl, Chris Bigras, a conditional 7th round pick and a Voracek bobblehead

I actually don't think I'd trade Raffl for Carter straight-up. I'm not even being smart when I say that.

I just don't think we're the team to trade Carter to unless there's some significant conditions met to minimize him being an anchor in a year or two.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I like Jeff Carter...but all I remember is his flubbing a shot straight into Niemi during the waning minutes of game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010 when he had the entire net to shoot at.

Reactions: Asnito

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
No thanks to Carter. What blows my mind is that Carter being a Flyer is a distant memory for me. The guy hasn't been here in 9 years but he's still on the same contract the Flyers game him and he's still got 2 years left after this season. Pretty crazy.

Reactions: Osprey

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
You can tell a lot of people in this thread don't watch the Kings or Carter.

17 goals, on pace for 20+ on a miserable Kings team. Odds are if he's not on the worst offensively team in the NHL he'd have what; 23-25 goals by now?

And there are people saying he's worthless at this stage in his career. Lol.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You can tell a lot of people in this thread don't watch the Kings or Carter.

17 goals, on pace for 20+ on a miserable Kings team. Odds are if he's not on the worst offensively team in the NHL he'd have what; 23-25 goals by now?

And there are people saying he's worthless at this stage in his career. Lol.

I think a lot of Flyers fans don't think he's worthless - we just think he has too much term for our own cap structure for what he'll bring by the time he's 38. If he was an upcoming UFA, I think people would have a different tone right now.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
No thanks. At this point, Simmonds is not out producing Pitlick, Raffl and Aubel-Kubel at ES. And these guys have all spent many minutes on the 4th line.

Last thing we need is Simmonds as he has been replaced quite easily. The only "need" is a #3 C because of them thinking Frost is not quite ready, and Patrick's migraines. They won't have that hole next year, hence why Carter is not a "need".
Don't want simmons but compared to Carter and his contract left I would take simmons 10 out of 10

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Saw a tweet last night saying 4-5 teams could be in on Carter. Problem I have with that is if a team just calls LA and says, "what's the deal with Carter" and Blake says, "he is a king for at least a year"...twitter insider "Another team in on Carter!!"

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Farabee-Hayes-Voracek
JVR-Frost-Carter
Raffl-Patrick-Pitlick
NAK
I can honestly say....I like it...lol. I just don't think they trade away a 2nd+ a tier 2 prospect for it when he has 2 more years left.

Mind you, at the draft they could explore trading JVR if they wish to in order to recoup what they lost.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Carter to Flyers for a 3rd 2021 at deadline.
Carter to LA for 4th 2021 after season ends.

Flyers get him for a run this year and do not have to worry about cap next two year. LA moves up in draft and gets Carter back. I know would never happen but would be sweet. I would prefer 2020 picks but Flyers do not have theirs.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I can honestly say....I like it...lol. I just don't think they trade away a 2nd+ a tier 2 prospect for it when he has 2 more years left.

Mind you, at the draft they could explore trading JVR if they wish to in order to recoup what they lost.

Not sure what cost would be. Could see a very wide range all depending on retention.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He has 17 goals this year so there's still something left in the tank. The Flyers would be wise to kick some tires to see what it'd cost to acquire him.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Everyone knows that Carter wants to stay in LA and about him threatening to retire if traded. Even if that last part isn't true, everyone saw how he wasn't happy in Columbus and is probably afraid that he'll sulk if they trade for him... everyone except Philly. That's the one other team that he might not mind playing for. I imagine that the Flyers figure that, too, and are considering him an option, even if LA isn't shopping him. Maybe they'll offer enough to make Blake think long and hard over it and he'll then go to Carter and ask him if he'd like to return to Philly. Carter will probably say no, LA won't mind because they're happy to keep him and that'll be that, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad