Friedman: Flyers considering a reunion with Jeff Carter?

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Rather him stay in LA than whatever the flyers would be able to part with.
Haven't read the rest of the replies yet. I'll assume they are predominantly anti-Carter. That said, if LA retains 30-40% of his salary - why not trade a mid-tier prospect for him.

I think he'd be rejuvenated and be a nice middle 6 asset. At center if Patrick doesn't come back and RW if he does. I'd like it as long as LA retains some $

Reactions: phil162888

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Haven't read the rest of the replies yet. I'll assume they are predominantly anti-Carter. That said, if LA retains 30-40% of his salary - why not trade a mid-tier prospect for him.

I think he'd be rejuvenated and be a nice middle 6 asset. At center if Patrick doesn't come back and RW if he does. I'd like it as long as LA retains some $

Especially now that Toffoli’s gone, Kopitar and Carter are likely the only two legitimate top six players on the Kings. Brown isn’t contributing much this year. Iafallo keeps adding to his career high in points - he’s at 35 right now. Kempe’s best year was his rookie season with 37 (and has 24 points on the year). We’re now playing Martin Frk in our top six, so... that’s really all you need to know.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Carter - Frk

If you think you have any players on any lines better than Kempe, Frk, Brown, and Iafallo, then Carter might be a great addition to your team.

I think the asking price for Carter in real life is higher than some fans on here might like, though.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

Because Morgan Frost almost NHL ready player and Carter with his additional 2 years would be blocking him. Unless Flyers have concerns about Patrick going forward. I doubt Lindblom will ever come back to play hockey.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Especially now that Toffoli’s gone, Kopitar and Carter are likely the only two legitimate top six players on the Kings. Brown isn’t contributing much this year. Iafallo keeps adding to his career high in points - he’s at 35 right now. Kempe’s best year was his rookie season with 37 (and has 24 points on the year). We’re now playing Martin Frk in our top six, so... that’s really all you need to know.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Carter - Frk

If you think you have any players on any lines better than Kempe, Frk, Brown, and Iafallo, then Carter might be a great addition to your team.

I think the asking price for Carter in real life is higher than some fans on here might like, though.
I wouldn't doubt if Kings want 2 and b+ prospect. and i am just not interested. You have to be leery on really bad teams where somebody has to score and carter is on a 35ish point pace. On a contender with reduced minutes and no pp that is closer to 20-25 points a year. Can he turn it up to playoff hockey when off switch for two years. While I would rather take 5 mil for 20-21 and 21-22 for resigning players, if i had to spend like a drunken sailor I could do better in free agency. Give me Hamonic over carter all day every day as example.Can I cut back else where and get Hoffman? But 5m for 36 year old carter in 20-21 is brutal cap management. If kings retained and it was say 3m I still dislike it but at least I wouldn't have mind numbingly hatred of it.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
How about a light - moderately used Chris Tierney?
Flyer fan dream scenerio is make Frost 4c or Patrick is back by end of year. Tierney ain't bad but from Flyers side would either need cap retention or Rafll traded to fit in this year's cap. Tierney an RFA so you are trading for to add for long term as well as a 3c and Flyers have Frost for 3c next year. Its now that is the question. So Tierney if asking for say a 2 or 2 with a little juice? Not outrageous at all. If you ask for Bobby Brink its dial tone. And as Flyers fan would trade 2 for Duclair in a millisecond.
What do i think Fletcher will do? I see a boring Nate Thompson Derek Grant trade to the Flyers. We shall see.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wouldn't doubt if Kings want 2 and b+ prospect. and i am just not interested. You have to be leery on really bad teams where somebody has to score and carter is on a 35ish point pace. On a contender with reduced minutes and no pp that is closer to 20-25 points a year. Can he turn it up to playoff hockey when off switch for two years. While I would rather take 5 mil for 20-21 and 21-22 for resigning players, if i had to spend like a drunken sailor I could do better in free agency. Give me Hamonic over carter all day every day as example.Can I cut back else where and get Hoffman? But 5m for 36 year old carter in 20-21 is brutal cap management. If kings retained and it was say 3m I still dislike it but at least I wouldn't have mind numbingly hatred of it.

I could imagine a scenario where there are conditions on a pick based on performance and games played, and where the Kings are retaining salary.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How about a light - moderately used Chris Tierney?
I have expressed interest in him before, if the price was right. The Flyers have some near ready prospects that they likely don't have room for. Guys like Hogberg and Bernhardt on D, Allison and Laczynski at F.

Reactions: SnS

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I'd take Carter if:

1) LA retains
2) We trade nearly nothing in assets
3) Carter agrees to retire at the end of the season

You want a 25 goal scorer on a horrible team, for half the salary and he should be almost for free.
I just wonder what's in it for the Flyers. So far it heavily favours the Kings.

So for fun, what is the expectation back for Carter at 50%.

Take a guess.
We are talking a 25-30 goal scorer for 2.5 mill per year.

Carter and Kaliyev for Patrick and Allison?

Everything Kaliyev and Blake will block your number

If the Flyers are trading with LA, I'd like Philly to get some of that ARTHUR!!!

The Flyers have nothing even remotely close to fetch Arthur

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I'm confused. Can someone explain to me why Cater to Philly is even a talking point?

Have you looked at the Flyers?
Carter would be top 3 goal scorer on their team. And he scores like that playing for the Kings.
There is a reason why the Flyers are the only team that lost against their farm team in pre season.

Instead of us guessing, why don't you just say what you would expect?
Since everything these days is 2nd+propect, there is no reason not to assume it wouldn't be the price.
Just as a reference Toffoli got 2nd + top 3 prospect from Vancouver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thadd

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Flyers aren’t a Jeff Carter away from a Stanley cup. There is no real need. We have Frost and hopefully Patrick down the line.

We don’t have the cap space.

I don’t want to move Frost, Brink period. I mostly want to stay the course.

And I love Carter.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Have you looked at the Flyers?
Carter would be top 3 goal scorer on their team. And he scores like that playing for the Kings.
There is a reason why the Flyers are the only team that lost against their farm team in pre season.

Since everything these days is 2nd+propect, there is no reason not to assume it wouldn't be the price.
Just as a reference Toffoli got 2nd + top 3 prospect from Vancouver.
Perfect, we have the price.

Flyers decline....or at least should. Our top 3 prospects are Frost, York and Brink and they are going nowhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad