Friedman: Flyers considering a reunion with Jeff Carter?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
If the Kings want to move Carter, next year's deadline might be the better time. Then he'll only have 1+ years remaining and Kings can still offer up to 50% retention.

Reactions: YP44

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The old adage that people on the east coast don’t get to see much of the western teams because the games start past their bed times stands true in this regard.

Carter’s 17 goals would put him in the top 5 on the Flyers in goal scoring, and that’s one more goal than Giroux and five more than Voracek.

Last 2 years:

Carter 40 ES points in 136 games
Laughton 48 ES points in 122 games

Stats are fun.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Last 2 years:

Carter 40 ES points in 136 games
Laughton 48 ES points in 122 games

Stats are fun.

Your argument is essentially boiling down to this: Carter's career-worst-by-a-country-mile season on one of the worst all-time Kings teams is better than Laughton's career-best season.

And at 50% retention, they'd have essentially the same salary.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kaliyev is doing the exact same as he did last year? I don’t know how his stock would rise considering he’s on pace for the same amount, kaliyev has issues and that’s why he dropped so much he’s considered a weak skater and defender, where as Patrick is great 2 ways obviously people think he has a much higher ceiling injuries just keep setting him back. I don’t think they are close at all

Pronman with the athletic has Kaliyev as the 7th best prospect in hockey (Pronman: 2019-20 midseason NHL prospects ranking). This is up from 19 where he had him on his previous rankings. So I think it is fair to say his stock is rising.

I still like Patrick over him but I think it is safe to say his stock has fallen. Just wonder how far the gap would be if each draft year where re-drafted what position each player would go. Doesn't mean one would be over the other has other players in those draft years would effect things.

Anyway this is derailing this thread.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Your argument is essentially boiling down to this: Carter's career-worst-by-a-country-mile season on one of the worst all-time Kings teams is better than Laughton's career-best season.

And at 50% retention, they'd have essentially the same salary.
No....it's showing that Carter is essentially like Laughton now....and Laughton has been better a ES. It's not 1 year. It's almost 2 full years now. And most Flyers fans want Laughton on the 4th line in a perfect world, not as the #3C for the next 2 years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Carter came back from a severe Achilles injury last season, and I didn’t bring up Laughton, who Carter is outscoring this year.

Facts are fun.

So let's ignore last year then.

Laughton 18 ES points in 40 games this year....a 37 point pace/82 games
Carter 22 ES points in 60 games this year....a 30 point pace/82 games

So where is this huge upgrade at ES?

Reactions: Larry44

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
So let's ignore last year then.

Laughton 18 ES points in 40 games this year....a 37 point pace/82 games
Carter 22 ES points in 60 games this year....a 30 point pace/82 games

So where is this huge upgrade at ES?

Claude Giroux and Kevin Hayes have 27 and 22 ES points in 60 games respectively this season so what’s your point bud

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Claude Giroux and Kevin Hayes have 27 and 22 ES points in 60 games respectively this season so what’s your point bud

Well Laughton is the #3C that Carter would be replacing in theory. So a comparison is valid. And we don't need to pay a 2nd rounder AND a prospect to add a 35 year old guy with 2 more years when they have 8 players who are out producing him or equal to him at ES. Especially when you have Frost and Patrick in the fold too.

If he was a UFA at seasons end, then it makes more sense. Having 2 more after this one, not so much.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

His point, which you added to, is that Jeff Carter isn't actually an upgrade on anything that we have at 1C, 2C, or even 3C. While it might be nice to add him to help get into the playoffs this season, the biggest issue is the 2 more seasons that he is signed on for. He would block players like Nolan Patrick and Morgan Frost in the future.

There really is no deal to be had here, especially at the price that some Kings fans are talking about (similar to Toffoli).

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
His point, which you added to, is that Jeff Carter isn't actually an upgrade on anything that we have at 1C, 2C, or even 3C. While it might be nice to add him to help get into the playoffs this season, the biggest issue is the 2 more seasons that he is signed on for. He would block players like Nolan Patrick and Morgan Frost in the future.

There really is no deal to be had here, especially at the price that some Kings fans are talking about (similar to Toffoli).
Not many Kings fans pushing Carter on Philly. Just saying he has some value. LA is not in rush to trade him and will probably be traded next years deadline with retention for what Toffoli and Martinez got. He seems to have chemistry with Frk, so his point total might improve from this year.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Well Laughton is the #3C that Carter would be replacing in theory. So a comparison is valid. And we don't need to pay a 2nd rounder AND a prospect to add a 35 year old guy with 2 more years when they have 8 players who are out producing him or equal to him at ES. Especially when you have Frost and Patrick in the fold too.

If he was a UFA at seasons end, then it makes more sense. Having 2 more after this one, not so much.

To be honest, I don’t think the Kings should trade Carter. But it’s worth noting that Carter would be a great line mate for guys like Frost or Patrick. Carter can play right wing when those guys come up and be a great mentor for them.

...which is exactly why I don’t think LA should trade Carter. We have some young guys of our own that I’d love for him and Kopitar to help mentor and shelter. Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, etc.

Reactions: Osprey

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If the Kings want to move Carter, next year's deadline might be the better time. Then he'll only have 1+ years remaining and Kings can still offer up to 50% retention.

Yeah if Carter was signed for 1.5 years instead of 2.5 years his market would be larger. If he were a FA teams would prefer to sign him to 1.5 years instead of 2.5 years. He just needs to keep up his level of play for another year.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I think this has been boiled down to a few sides.

LAK fans who want to keep carter.
PHI fans who think Carter sucks donkey balls.

LAK fans who would be fine with a carter trade.
PHI fans who don’t think the fit is there for carter coming back to philly.

Reactions: YP44 and Dooble08

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Not many Kings fans pushing Carter on Philly. Just saying he has some value. LA is not in rush to trade him and will probably be traded next years deadline with retention for what Toffoli and Martinez got. He seems to have chemistry with Frk, so his point total might improve from this year.

To be honest, I don’t think the Kings should trade Carter. But it’s worth noting that Carter would be a great line mate for guys like Frost or Patrick. Carter can play right wing when those guys come up and be a great mentor for them.

...which is exactly why I don’t think LA should trade Carter. We have some young guys of our own that I’d love for him and Kopitar to help mentor and shelter. Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, etc.

This is fair.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Idk if I’m in the minority on this subject but I’d like to keep Carter to provide leadership for the prospects to come and youth movement and with his cap hit not being much maybe having him in the bottom 6 maybe even 4th line wing or center in few years gives us a deeper balance and hope to make some noise in the playoffs

Reactions: YP44

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

All fair comments. For the Flyers end, we hope we have BOTH Frost and Patrick ready next year. So that gives all these guys already:

Giroux Couts Konecny
Farabee Hayes Voracek
JVR Patrick Frost
Raffl Laughton NAK

So if everyone is healthy, Carter isn't a "need" anymore like he would be this year....let along being a need his last year of his contract. The flipside, is that they could trade JVR for picks to recoup what was spent on Carter so that option is there.

The cost for 1 year just might not make sense given the "need" is only for this year. But both teams fans should be able to talk about it in a civil way and see both sides of the coin. And I think we have done that. Carter is not "garbage" or a cap dump. He just might not be what the Flyers really need especially long term and given he is 35 years old.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
b7e96e7e-37c9-4ff3-99dc-823eb82369e4-jpeg.323769

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad