Claimed off Waivers: Flyers claim Calvin Pickard

Mar 26, 2010
Toronto loses big time.

Lost both Mc and Pickard. Both are capable of being starters.

Sparks is just awful.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like it. Pickard will get a real shot at an NHL gig, and Philly lands a young goalie who might be able to shore up their crease.

Reactions: BernieParent

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Nice post.

In your opinion if Pickard preforms well, could he steal a job from Elliott or Neuvirth?

He could steal either's job. It would just take him playing well in his early starts and Elliott not. Neuvirth is too injury prone to put any faith in and I'm sure the management feels the same.

Reactions: BernieParent

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Toronto loses big time.

Lost both Mc and Pickard. Both are capable of being starters.

Sparks is just awful.

Uhh... you might want to reel in your hype there a little. Pickard might become a starter at some point, but isn't there yet. And Mcelhinney will never be a starter, and isn't capable of being one. If he was, he would have gotten more than 32 starts in a single season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He could steal either's job. It would just take him playing well in his early starts and Elliott not. Neuvirth is too injury prone to put any faith in and I'm sure the management feels the same.

And given they are both UFA's at the end of the season, it wouldn't be surprising if management just buried one of Elliott or Neuvirth if they feel Pickard is a better long-term option. Would you as a Flyers fan say that is accurate?

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
All this doom and gloom talk about "What if Andersen gets hurt...playoffs could be in jeopardy" is non-sense and not a Leafs-specific problem. 90% of the teams in the league will seriouslyimpacted if their starter goes down for an extended period of time.

Not to mention, while I'm a big fan of Mac and Pickard, the guy they kept to play 20 games just won the Calder and AHL Vezina.

It's fine. The sun will rise tomorrow.

Reactions: Mork and Riptide

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So, who are the Marlies' goalies this season, then? :laugh:

Their starter from last year is now the Leafs' backup, and their backup is now in Philly.

Couple rookies tending the twine for the defending champs, I guess. No other option, unless they grab another goalie if Sparks flounders, and send him down.

Kaskisuo was one of the better AHL goalies last year, and he did not play on the greatest teams while doing it (he was actually pretty big in turning Chicago around).

The Leafs may just end up using McAdam as their backup. He's a better option than Peters. Or they'll wait for someone else to go on waivers and claim them. Like as soon as McE or Pickard go on waivers (assuming they do), I am pretty sure the Leafs can claim them and send them straight to the minors without going on waivers again. That could be their plan. Unless the goalies McE and Pickard are replacing are out for more than a couple of weeks or they are going to be mainstays even after those guys come back, then the Marlies wouldn't even need to use their second goalie much before one or both end up on waivers for them to immediately claim and stash in the minors. Someone like McAdam may get into 4 or 5 back-to-back games max (that would be until like the end of November), and behind the Marlies defense he should hopefully be able to at least win 2 or 3 of those games.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
All this doom and gloom talk about "What if Andersen gets hurt...playoffs could be in jeopardy" is non-sense and not a Leafs-specific problem. 90% of the teams in the league will seriously effected if their starter goes down for an extended period of time.

Not to mention, while I'm a big fan of Mac and Pickard, the guy they kept to play 20 games just won the Calder and AHL Vezina.

It's fine. The sun will rise tomorrow.

And the other 10% probably have a starter who was not that good in the first place...

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And given they are both UFA's at the end of the season, it wouldn't be surprising if management just buried one of Elliott or Neuvirth if they feel Pickard is a better long-term option. Would you as a Flyers fan say that is accurate?

Pickard would only be considered a long term back up option. The future of the flyers crease belongs to Carter Hart.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Pickard would only be considered a long term back up option. The future of the flyers crease belongs to Carter Hart.

Right. But still a longer term option than Elliott or Neuvirth is what I meant. Like next year, could we see Hart and Pickard split the crease, and then Hart take on the full role afterwards?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Right. But still a longer term option than Elliott or Neuvirth is what I meant. Like next year, could we see Hart and Pickard split the crease, and then Hart take on the full role afterwards?

Possibility, if he plays well. When you said 'long term' i assumed you meant well beyond the next two years.

That being said, the flyers will still have stolarz next year, and Felix Sandstrom will likely be coming over to the AHL next year as well. I can't see pickard being in town for much longer than 3 years in the best case scenario for him.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I remember Leafs fans saying that TML will wait until the last moment when all teams have their roster complete to waive Pikard and Mc, this way nobody will claim them... I guess that worked perfectly.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Some leaf fans are too much. Sparks is easily the best of the 3 and 1 bad pre season game doesn’t change that. We have so many good things going for us and of course leaf fans dwell on something small.

Reactions: Mork

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Haha. First move I hate by Leafs management in almost 3 years. If Andersen gets hurt and Sparks sucks they are done. Leafs go from good goalie depth to ****.
Hate to defend the Leafs but every team is ****** if its top 2 goalies suck/get injured

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I remember Leafs fans saying that TML will wait until the last moment when all teams have their roster complete to waive Pikard and Mc, this way nobody will claim them... I guess that worked perfectly.

boy genius kyler dumas couldn't even stop darling and neuvirth from getting hurt lol, run him out of town

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Possibility, if he plays well. When you said 'long term' i assumed you meant well beyond the next two years.

That being said, the flyers will still have stolarz next year, and Felix Sandstrom will likely be coming over to the AHL next year as well. I can't see pickard being in town for much longer than 3 years in the best case scenario for him.

Fair enough. Only really wondeirng about this year anyway

My suspicion is that other Leaf fans shouldn't count on Pickard becoming available on waivers again this year for us to take back and stash directly to our AHL team.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Hate to defend the Leafs but every team is ****** if its top 2 goalies suck/get injured

Correct me if I am wrong, but if soo many teams needed help with GK, isn't the right thing to get anything for them, instead of waiving...

And before TML start saying that he probably tried that before waiving, i am sorry, but I don't buy it that at the same time there was too much demand for goalies yet he couldn't squeeze at least a 7th rounder out of a different team...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Fair enough. Only really wondeirng about this year anyway

My suspicion is that other Leaf fans shouldn't count on Pickard becoming available on waivers again this year for us to take back and stash directly to our AHL team.

I wouldnt necessarily bank on that. Flyers have a pretty big pool of NHL-ish quality goalies going on right now in Elliott, Neuvirth, Lyon, Stolarz, and now Pickard. Hart is going to be getting the lions share of starts in the AHL, so that leaves an NHL and AHL backup spot open. Something is gonna have to give when everyone gets healthy. No guarantee its Pickard, but someones going to be on waivers at some point.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Yes, that's accurate. He could certainly push one of those guys out. And I'd be shocked if Hextall kept Neuvirth around after next year, and I also get the impression that Elliott could be on his way out, but that is more 50/50.

If Pickard plays well he could earn a deal and the Flyers could go with Hart/Pickard for the following season.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
No shot? 1 game in the NHL 0.857 SV percentage.

That game was a team b2b game and Pickard brought them to overtime against his former team COL and won a point while Andersen lost the next 2 games with zero points and never played team b2b games.

Besides that remember Andersen's first games for TOR that was f***ing hilarious.

Shanaplan couldn't get a better goalie since July 1 than Sparks LOL we will see how that works out.

Good for Pickard to leave TOR but I wished he had more luck. Mrazek was much better in DET than in PHI last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad